drd23

Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

SoOoOo any members of the very adamant “sign clowney” contingent this past year wanna eat their crow yet? 😬

Dude’s literally stealing $ from the Titans this season. 

10 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

SoOoOo any members of the very adamant “sign clowney” contingent this past year wanna eat their crow yet? 😬

Yep. I was fully on board on Clowney. I was wrong about how he would be this year. He's not productive enough to warrant the hype.

OTOH, his value is shot, sooooo if we want to sign him on a discount, next offseason I wouldn't mind....

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Yep. I was fully on board on Clowney. I was wrong about how he would be this year. He's not productive enough to warrant the hype.

OTOH, his value is shot, sooooo if we want to sign him on a discount, next offseason I wouldn't mind....

We have enough of underperforming OLB to worry about haha

11 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

We have enough of underperforming OLB to worry about haha

Yea but Judon is basically guaranteed to be a Jet this time next year, and Bowser is not good enough to tag, so he's up for an open market bidding war. We will retool next year at that spot.

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Somewhat, but not really. He’s definitely not proving right my feelings that he could’ve been more impactful vs the pass than with the Seahawks defensive fit. And his value isn’t quite where I thought it would've been come this point of the season.

But I wanted Clowney signed from the jump, particularly with the franchise tag money we gave to Judon... and while Clowney hasn’t been as impactful to the Titans as I’m sure they hoped, I still think two things here:

1. Clowney is still a borderline elite run defender in a down year. His run defense would have been very valuable against the Patriots. I also think Wink makes better use of him as a rusher. He could use him on stunts and blitzes like we do Judon for similarly schemed sack production. Only Clowney is a better athlete. They’ll both make the same boneheaded type of plays behind the LOS, only Clowney is a far superior run defender.

2. If Clowney is stealing money at $12m this season, Judon is a Ponzi scheme of wastefulness as a worst player making $17m.

All things considered if we could make all the same moves as we’ve made to this point and all that changed with this team was trading Clowney for Judon for the same deal... I’d still choose Clowney over Judon. At least the team might be more willing to bench Clowney on 3rd downs to use Bowser as our primary pass rusher beside Ngakoue than keeping him on the field as we do Judon. But that later part is a bit of an assumption.

EDIT: Though I’ll eat crow that Clowney later on in the process WITH Judon particularly, wouldve made this team a worse team than what moves DeCosta was able to pull in acquiring Ngakoue. That’s not even something that was on my radar.

EDIT2: Which is to say I’ll eat crow for Judon + Clowney being an ideal situation. Though Ngakoue + Clowney still sounds far better to me than Judon + Ngakoue.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

Clowney was the most obvious player to get his money and say **** it ever. Spurrier basically outright told everyone he is lazy af. With his natural gifts he should be getting 15 sacks a year.