Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

Obviously Ngakoue will likely take up a chunk of our available cap space but assuming we can get a long-term deal done with him, as opposed to having to use the franchise tag, that can be structured in a lot of different ways to help maintain flexibility.

There likely will be other moves we can make to free up space as well. Cutting Ingram is a no brainer. Nick Boyle should be in line for another extension that could lower his $8 million 2021 number. Could also see at least see one between Campbell and Brandon Williams get a extended/restructured with 1 year left on their deals towards a lower base number. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
On 1/13/2021 at 10:48 AM, SalvadorsDeli said:

Obviously Ngakoue will likely take up a chunk of our available cap space but assuming we can get a long-term deal done with him, as opposed to having to use the franchise tag, that can be structured in a lot of different ways to help maintain flexibility.

There likely will be other moves we can make to free up space as well. Cutting Ingram is a no brainer. Nick Boyle should be in line for another extension that could lower his $8 million 2021 number. Could also see at least see one between Campbell and Brandon Williams get a extended/restructured with 1 year left on their deals towards a lower base number. 

I think this is incredibly likely. I think Williams could be a candidate for a slightly longer extension, somewhat similar to what Suggs did late in his career (lower AAV, high guaranteed numbers).

4 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I think this is incredibly likely. I think Williams could be a candidate for a slightly longer extension, somewhat similar to what Suggs did late in his career (lower AAV, high guaranteed numbers).

I'm going to look to 2022 for a moment. With contracts coming up on key members (Andrews and Lamar). I'm 98% sure Orlando Brown won't be a Raven after his deal is up. His play at LT this year only drives up his price and an LT for another team. 

Would the team be wise to shop him for a kings ransom following this season or before trade deadline to get something out of him? This bothers me every day that we won't be able to re-sign him. What does everyone else think. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel
6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Great article that I'm just going to post here because it's packed with a bit of everything-

Looking at the second play in the series right now and that should DEFINITELY have been a penalty. The RT went low for a cut block while Madubuike was still engaged with the IOL. Dangerous play that could’ve led to a serious injury.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Looking at the second play in the series right now and that should DEFINITELY have been a penalty. The RT went low for a cut block while Madubuike was still engaged with the IOL. Dangerous play that could’ve led to a serious injury.

I think he did too good a job of avoiding the cut block for it to be a penalty.  Now, had the RT actually succeeded in cutting Madubuike then it def should be called an illegal chop block

2 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I'm going to look to 2022 for a moment. With contracts coming up on key members (Andrews and Lamar). I'm 98% sure Orlando Brown won't be a Raven after his deal is up. His play at LT this year only drives up his price and an LT for another team. 

Would the team be wise to shop him for a kings ransom following this season or before trade deadline to get something out of him? This bothers me every day that we won't be able to re-sign him. What does everyone else think. 

I think that basically has to be the move - this offseason is the last chance we'll have to get a big haul for him and I wouldn't want to plan to trade him midseason next year because we shouldn't be the kind of team selling at the deadline.

Think Arizona with the 16th pick would be a great trade target and would be a deal that would make sense for both sides. If we are able to trade Brown, use one of the 2 1st rounders we would have on a RT and basically reload at a cost-controlled rate. 

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I think that basically has to be the move - this offseason is the last chance we'll have to get a big haul for him and I wouldn't want to plan to trade him midseason next year because we shouldn't be the kind of team selling at the deadline.

Think Arizona with the 16th pick would be a great trade target and would be a deal that would make sense for both sides. If we are able to trade Brown, use one of the 2 1st rounders we would have on a RT and basically reload at a cost-controlled rate. 

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Yeah, I agree that we should use the compensation to reload on the offensive line. We have a track record of developing offensive line talent. I don't think I'd wait for the 3rd or 4th. I just think we need to dump Brown and actually get something to retool, instead of letting him go for a 3rd round comp. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Personally I’m holding on to Brown Jr. he’s proven to be durable and a leader of the OL. With Stanley, I’ve never seen the level of leadership and tone setting at that spot. He was a finesse LT.

I get the cap concern, but I think we can find a way to hide the cap. What’s more, an opposing team trading for Stanley can provide monetary compensation in lieu of less draft picks. If we trade Stanley after 2022 that provides a -9m cap hit, ask the other team to take on some cap burden and I could certainly see a deal getting done.

We also don’t know exactly where the cap could find itself due to covid. I’m not trading Brown Jr after this season in the slightest. The kind of message that would send, especially to the Oklahoma brotherhood isn’t one I’d be down for. There’s far less collateral damage from trading Stanley.

Stanley should be back healthy by May according to Harbaugh. Meaning post draft whatever team couldn’t obtain LT assistance could be in the market. Even considering the injury Stanley should net two firsts and the Ravens could demand the trade partner to compensate his option bonus back. And considering Stanley’s age, elite play, and the fact that they will ultimately save $22.5m upon trading for him (the bonus the Ravens will be paying in March), having to provide us cap relief from the option bonus would simply be the price of doing business. This route of course if the team decides they HAVE to move a LT before the 2021 season.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, drd23 said:

I think he did too good a job of avoiding the cut block for it to be a penalty.  Now, had the RT actually succeeded in cutting Madubuike then it def should be called an illegal chop block

This is true. Though if he doesn’t anticipate the cut block like he did, I think his season is probably curtains. Good thing he avoided that block, we’re going to need Madubuike big time in these upcoming games to collapse the pocket.
——

On another note, shout out to PFF, they somehow scored Madubuike with a 56.1 grade for that Titans game. 😂 

• Like 1

Hypothetical time...

Let's say the following are true:

• The Ravens are going to fire Greg Roman
  • The Ravens are not sold on Lamar Jackson being the QB of the future given the playoff failures and passing game failures so far through 2 seasons (whether justified or not)

The Texans are willing to trade Deshaun Watson. The Ravens are willing to trade Lamar Jackson.

What kind of compensation would it take to make this trade happen for us?

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Hypothetical time...

• The Ravens are not sold on Lamar Jackson being the QB of the future given the playoff failures and passing game failures so far through 2 seasons (whether justified or not)

The Texans are willing to trade Deshaun Watson. The Ravens are willing to trade Lamar Jackson.

Are you talking about trading Lamar for Deshaun? Or what kind of compensation we could get for Lamar and what could the Texans get for Deshaun? 

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Hypothetical time...

I'd rather have Lamar so I'd need at least a 1st plus Watson. 

On 1/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, baltimoreRebel said:

I don't think Brown would be considered an LT for most teams. He is fine in the Ravens super run-heavy scheme, but for most teams he wouldn't be what they're looking for at LT.