Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

4 hours ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Do you all think there is anything to the Ronald Jones speculation? I watched some video on him and he looks like he’s got a little Gus Bus to him. Hitting downhill hard with some subtle cuts to him. That kind of running seems like what we’re missing most in our running back room. Not sure that the bucs are really looking to move him as they are in win now mode.

I doubt it but anything is possible. EDC has said he wants to compile draft picks which makes me doubt that we move capital for him 

9 hours ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Do you all think there is anything to the Ronald Jones speculation? I watched some video on him and he looks like he’s got a little Gus Bus to him. Hitting downhill hard with some subtle cuts to him. That kind of running seems like what we’re missing most in our running back room. Not sure that the bucs are really looking to move him as they are in win now mode.

I hope not to be honest. He should be out searching for the solution to fix this offensive line. I know it might not be popular, but I'd see what the Falcons really talking about with Hurst. If you want a 6th or 7th, I'd be all in on that. Especially if Boyle coming back. Let's make this a 2019 reunion. And then see who's on the wire at OT, LG.

7 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I hope not to be honest. He should be out searching for the solution to fix this offensive line. I know it might not be popular, but I'd see what the Falcons really talking about with Hurst. If you want a 6th or 7th, I'd be all in on that. Especially if Boyle coming back. Let's make this a 2019 reunion. And then see who's on the wire at OT, LG.

I’m good. We’ve already got a TE that can do what Hurst did in Oliver as your athletic seam guy.

We also don’t have to worry about the ego that comes along with Hurst wanting to be “the guy” at TE because of his draft status. I’m sure within another organization he’ll be forced to be more humble about his actual ability vs production provided.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m good. We’ve already got a TE that can do what Hurst did in Oliver as your athletic seam guy.

We also don’t have to worry about the ego that comes along with Hurst wanting to be “the guy” at TE because of his draft status. I’m sure within another organization he’ll be forced to be more humble about his actual ability vs production provided.

Yeah I don't see a reunion with Hurst.

However, I don't trust Oliver at all. He fumbled in the preseason and has one fumble in 7 receptions so far in the regular season. Seems like a well timed hit on him after he catches it will generate a fumble pretty frequently. 

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Fair enough. I think he was decent in our rotation. Certainly better than Oliver and Tomlinson, in my opinion. When he had opportunities anyway. Definitely wish ED explored O-line help before the deadline, but it was not to be. 

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

Fair enough. I think he was decent in our rotation. Certainly better than Oliver and Tomlinson, in my opinion. When he had opportunities anyway. Definitely wish ED explored O-line help before the deadline, but it was not to be. 

I read somewhere that GMs are being super stingy with the O-lineman, nobody wants to part with any o-lineman who is half-decent. I don't think EDC had any moves here. 

I find the pettiness of family of some NFL players absolutely hilarious.  I haven't seen this sort of thing from family of Ravens players thankfully (hopefully that's because it doesn't happen and not just because I've been lucky enough not to come across it). 

This was posted on an Australian forum by a Browns fan, and I thought I'd share it here to give you guys a laugh too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I read somewhere that GMs are being super stingy with the O-lineman, nobody wants to part with any o-lineman who is half-decent. I don't think EDC had any moves here. 

I can definitely understand that. I feel after the world watched the golden boy, Mahomes get dealt with in the Superbowl last year, it was an eye opener. 

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I find the pettiness of family of some NFL players absolutely hilarious.  I haven't seen this sort of thing from family of Ravens players thankfully (hopefully that's because it doesn't happen and not just because I've been lucky enough not to come across it). 

This was posted on an Australian forum by a Browns fan, and I thought I'd share it here to give you guys a laugh too.

I'm just here hoping the continued implosion of the Browns. :D

I guess in general a wife 'liking" tweets that (theoretically)defend her husband isn't so bad. When it's publicly accessible and it can come off like you're blaming his teammates for the club's failures- then there's an issue. Especially when you're the de facto 'First Lady' of the team by way of marriage to the most important position/leader(QB). If that's actually her and not some rando actress in those stupid commercials he's in where he lives at the stadium, then she's a public figure on a bigger scale too- and more directly involved with the Browns' public image. Which adds another layer to things. 

I can't recall any incidents for us like this. We've had the 'Player X says stupid thing on Twitter' stuff... as has almost every sport club around the world I'd imagine. And we've had the 'Player Y has tweets from his teenage years that offend the perpetually offended'. Nothing really like this though, that I can recall.

Don't know which situation is getting more attention in BrownsVille, but I'd imagine it's the Baker one. Any kind of issue with OBJ would be more expected imo. Cleveland wasn't anywhere near strong enough to occupy the 'destination club' role they took on these past couple years. It was too soon. 

AFC is crazy weird this year, so in the end who knows.... but it looks like their offseason champs hype is going down in flames once again. Their future doesn't look so bright with Baker at QB1 long term either. Don't think we'll see the same kind of media push behind them these next couple years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I guess in general a wife 'liking" tweets that (theoretically)defend her husband isn't so bad. When it's publicly accessible and it can come off like you're blaming his teammates for the club's failures- then there's an issue. Especially when you're the de facto 'First Lady' of the team by way of marriage to the most important position/leader(QB). If that's actually her and not some rando actress in those stupid commercials he's in where he lives at the stadium, then she's a public figure on a bigger scale too- and more directly involved with the Browns' public image. Which adds another layer to things. 

I can't recall any incidents for us like this. We've had the 'Player X says stupid thing on Twitter' stuff... as has almost every sport club around the world I'd imagine. And we've had the 'Player Y has tweets from his teenage years that offend the perpetually offended'. Nothing really like this though, that I can recall.

Don't know which situation is getting more attention in BrownsVille, but I'd imagine it's the Baker one. Any kind of issue with OBJ would be more expected imo. Cleveland wasn't anywhere near strong enough to occupy the 'destination club' role they took on these past couple years. It was too soon. 

AFC is crazy weird this year, so in the end who knows.... but it looks like their offseason champs hype is going down in flames once again. Their future doesn't look so bright with Baker at QB1 long term either. Don't think we'll see the same kind of media push behind them these next couple years. 

The Bengals will now be the resident, “up and coming ‘scrappy underdog’ that has been proverbially downtrodden and now has beaten the Goliaths of the division” that they like to hype.

Yet in truth, the Steelers and Ravens will likely remain the class of the division regardless of all the hype. Good coaching and good organizational structure at the end of the day rule over everything else. Both of those organizations have those things regardless of how tired everyone else gets of that fact.

On another note: The AFC is definitely weird and looks like a free for all bloodbath. That all said, the King Henry-less Titans squad seems far more beatable than their past few renditions. We just went 3-1 against the AFCW schedule and I don’t fear any of those squads in a playoff rematch.

Which leaves the AFCE and the Bills/Pats. The Bills are the only squad I’m not the most excited to see because of their defense and the weather they’re liable to get come playoff time.

So while the Ravens aren’t at their most formidable, if they survive the AFCN gauntlet, this looks to be our best bet at finally punching our ticket to the SB in some time. Especially if Lamar and these receivers can get hot come playoff time and we can get the run game back going.

Right now the NFC top teams look incredibly formidable, but it’s also a long NFL season. I think we’ve got a chance and I’ll just enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:
16 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I just want to mention how much I'm loving the dysfunction in Cleveland.

Can never get tired of their misery and despair. 

Please

We put the "fun" in dysfunction. Always have and always will. 

• Like 4

Imagine the year JK Dobbins could’ve had this year.

He looked better than Jonathan Taylor last year, and Taylor is now leading the league in rushing. Combine that with Roman + Lamar effect and it could’ve been a +1500 y season.

1 hour ago, Rein said:

Imagine the year JK Dobbins could’ve had this year.

He looked better than Jonathan Taylor last year, and Taylor is now leading the league in rushing. Combine that with Roman + Lamar effect and it could’ve been a +1500 y season.

Clearly JK is a very talented runner, and I hope he still is post injury, but our run blocking has been spotty at best this year. When it's clicking against teams that truly can't defend against the run regardless of our OL, then you can definitely see runs where JK or Gus would've gone for a TD or tacked on an extra 15-30 yards. Outside of those types of games(KC & LA) though, I don't see them doing anything special in the face of our blocking woes. In a typical Lamar era rushing efficiency offense... sure, I could see a healthy Year 2 Dobbins putting up some incredible totals and even leading the league in rushing. 

Before the injuries rolled in and we saw how much our run blocking regressed I was pretty confident we could be the first team to ever have 3 1K rushers(Jackson, Dobbins, Edwards). Which would've been awesome.