Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

On 5/13/2022 at 12:37 PM, bmorecareful said:

But thats the thing he played half those games without Lamar… and while his best game did come with Snoop at QB it ironically was the only game where snoop tested anyone outside the numbers down the field… I think Bateman could be a star in this offense because he wins with route running… We will see but I think the injury to himself and to Lamar has everyone skeptical… I think he becomes our first drafted pro bowl receiver this year.. 

I don't think anyone has rules out Bateman being a pro bowl or star type player, but he certainly hasn't proven that he is for sure. The negative sentiment you seem to be receiving is basically everyone being cautiously optimistic.

Absolutely, no one is down on him to the point where we regret him being a 1st round pick investment, at least that I've seen, and first round pick WR should have #1 type potential. But, as with any prospect's projection, you can't feel too great about relying a critical component of the team's success on a breakout in a given year.

Along the same lines, I'm super high on Oweh going into this year too, but maaaan... are we bound to his year 1 to year 2 leap materializing. What's our pass rush going to look like if he takes a minor step back from his rookie year?

Edited by wackywabbit

Last year I was (obnoxiously, I know) very concerned about the OL heading into the season.

This year I've got some reservations about CB.

Our 2 starters are coming off season ending injuries, we lost our CBs 3-5 from last year in Young, Averett and Smith, and we're seemingly content rolling with a pair of fourth round rookies as their replacements and in the event of even one injury - seeing legit starting snaps for us. I also think Brandon Stephens absolutely stinks.

The best case scenario is that Ardarius Washington proves to be a good starting slot CB in this league, and Marlon/Marcus are back to their 2020 selves and don't see another injury this year.

IMO that is banking on a few too many things, kind've like I felt about OL last year.

The one saving grace is that we have seen the ceiling of Marlon/Marcus be All-Pro caliber, so there's at least a high ceiling to potentially reach.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

Hard agree about CB.

The current depth is unacceptable and both EDC & Harbaugh have acknowledged as such. Just like with Tackle last year, we're walking a tight rope with one of the most important positions in football. There's not a lot of options left to address the issue right now either.

Our only saving grace is that we have a stronger projected pass rush(Inside & Out.... if we get Houston back), elite Safety core, and a new DC that will hopefully take some pressure off of the CB position. 

BTW, if Iman Marshall plays just 1 game he should be awarded comeback player of the year. 😂 Those fan posts debating whether he actually exists or not are hilarious.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 9:45 AM, AngusMcFife said:

Ravens are bringing back Brent Urban.

You gotta figure with Urban and Campbell we'll get at least 1 blocked FG next season. 

Urban is still serviceable. He won't show up on the stat sheet often but boy does he open things up for guys and can generate serious pressure and Run D. We have restored this D line. 

So quick question and obviously this is assuming every one Is healthy… our core nickel package will probably  consist of Humphrey Peters Fuller Williams and Hamilton… But in a dime setting who would u rather be that 6th db… Me personally I’m thinking stephens… His size and athleticism is off the charts and as a freelance weapon (6th Db) I don’t see how u keep him off the field in that scenario… Which brings me to Chuck Clark… who I think was a serviceable player when it was all we had… but last year can anyone honestly say he played any better than tony Jefferson… does he have the versatility of AD Washington… honestly is he better in a role we would have geno stone play… He just seems like the odd man out… Now mind u he has been the green DOT but with everyone learning a new defense anyway I could easily see a Marcus Williams taking over that role as a guy who will probably play the most defensive snaps on the team next year… All of this leads me to believe barring injury there is no way Chuck is on the 53 come Jets game Week 1… 

30 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

So quick question and obviously this is assuming every one Is healthy… our core nickel package will probably  consist of Humphrey Peters Fuller Williams and Hamilton… But in a dime setting who would u rather be that 6th db… Me personally I’m thinking stephens… His size and athleticism is off the charts and as a freelance weapon (6th Db) I don’t see how u keep him off the field in that scenario… Which brings me to Chuck Clark… who I think was a serviceable player when it was all we had… but last year can anyone honestly say he played any better than tony Jefferson… does he have the versatility of AD Washington… honestly is he better in a role we would have geno stone play… He just seems like the odd man out… Now mind u he has been the green DOT but with everyone learning a new defense anyway I could easily see a Marcus Williams taking over that role as a guy who will probably play the most defensive snaps on the team next year… All of this leads me to believe barring injury there is no way Chuck is on the 53 come Jets game Week 1… 

Clark played over 1000 defensive snaps last season.

Washington played 7. The idea that Washington would be kept over Clark is insane. Jefferson barely saw the field last year. Not sure how you are coming up with these scouting reports. 

I think they will roll with a lot of 3 safety looks. Clark should get plenty of playing time. He also plays ST. Unless the Ravens think they can get decent compensation in a trade, Clark will stay. 

I do like Stephens more than some other posters here. Stephens and Clark make a good 3rd and 4th safety. One is young and athletic, the other is smart and a good communicator. It's a good combo of skills. 

27 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Clark played over 1000 defensive snaps last season.

Washington played 7. The idea that Washington would be kept over Clark is insane. Jefferson barely saw the field last year. Not sure how you are coming up with these scouting reports. 

I think they will roll with a lot of 3 safety looks. Clark should get plenty of playing time. He also plays ST. Unless the Ravens think they can get decent compensation in a trade, Clark will stay. 

I do like Stephens more than some other posters here. Stephens and Clark make a good 3rd and 4th safety. One is young and athletic, the other is smart and a good communicator. It's a good combo of skills. 

In no way was I suggesting Washington was a better player as a starting safety than Clark… What I’m talking about are the roles we would ask each individual to have… I just feel like the role Clark would have in combination with the contractual obligations make him expendable… Now I don’t think he gets flat out cut but unless guys don’t live up to expectations (mainly Hamilton and Williams) I don’t see where his role couldn’t be filled better with a combination of younger more athletic guys at a much cheaper rate… I tend to think the ravens brass feel the same way… thus the rumors of him being shopped… IMO if everything goes as expected he would be at best our 6th DB… And let’s not forget… his 1000 snaps were apart of a secondary where as the only starter that played most of the season we gave up almost 5,000 yards and 31 TDs and consistently had miscommunications when he was the guy with the green Dot supposedly getting everyone in position… At some point someone has to be at fault and it can’t just be all coaching… I ain’t gon lie Im not a big Chuck Clark fan…  All that keeps playing in my mind is Justin Jefferson’s TD where he was all out of position trying to jump a route he wasn’t nowhere near fast enough to get to… then compounding it by not having the recovery  speed to make up for the misread… 

Edited by bmorecareful

23 hours ago, bmorecareful said:

In no way was I suggesting Washington was a better player as a starting safety than Clark… What I’m talking about are the roles we would ask each individual to have… I just feel like the role Clark would have in combination with the contractual obligations make him expendable… Now I don’t think he gets flat out cut but unless guys don’t live up to expectations (mainly Hamilton and Williams) I don’t see where his role couldn’t be filled better with a combination of younger more athletic guys at a much cheaper rate… I tend to think the ravens brass feel the same way… thus the rumors of him being shopped… IMO if everything goes as expected he would be at best our 6th DB… And let’s not forget… his 1000 snaps were apart of a secondary where as the only starter that played most of the season we gave up almost 5,000 yards and 31 TDs and consistently had miscommunications when he was the guy with the green Dot supposedly getting everyone in position… At some point someone has to be at fault and it can’t just be all coaching… I ain’t gon lie Im not a big Chuck Clark fan…  All that keeps playing in my mind is Justin Jefferson’s TD where he was all out of position trying to jump a route he wasn’t nowhere near fast enough to get to… then compounding it by not having the recovery  speed to make up for the misread… 

I've had my issues with Clark as well, but cutting him doesn't really save much $ at all. He is pretty much a sunk cost in 2022 and it makes sense to move in 2023. Unless someone wants to trade for him. 

There is value at the safety position in knowing where you are supposed to be and being a good communicator. There have been plenty of athletic safeties who are horrible football players. 

I can't blame Clark for the play of the secondary last year. Wink was blitzing his way off the team and hanging the DBs out to dry all season. That's why he's on the Giants now. 

I do agree he is in no man's land this year with our depth but let's see how things shake out in training camp. One injury and he might become a valuable player. 

Also no doubt Harbaugh will slide him into the Anthony Levine role of safety who plays ST and is a calming veteran presence. 

On 5/24/2022 at 9:06 PM, bmorecareful said:

What money? He’s making $4.6m, that’s a drop in the bucket for a starting caliber option. You also don’t want Marcus Williams taking over the green dot, that wouldn’t make sense. The green dot should go to someone that is in the middle of the defense so they can communicate to the DL, LBs, and DBs, whereas Williams excels more in coverage and as a QB deterrent deep. Moving him closer to the line to make the calls would somewhat be wasting his ability and/or forcing him to be put out of position at the snap- especially when teams go no-huddle.

If anything Kyle Hamilton makes the most sense as the natural inheritance of the green dot because he can excel closer to the LOS as well as deep, he’s essentially a longer, similarly athletic, similar ranged, and better instincts version of Chuck Clark.

With our #2 ILB not being anything special it makes the most sense to have Chuck Clark and Kyle Hamilton rotate in and out of that dime backer role and that would more than justify Clark’s inclusion within the starting lineup and/or high snap count.

So unless we can trade him within a package that returns a notable WR option, it wouldn’t make sense to move him IMO.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

What money? He’s making $4.6m, that’s a drop in the bucket for a starting caliber option. You also don’t want Marcus Williams taking over the green dot, that wouldn’t make sense. The green dot should go to someone that is in the middle of the defense so they can communicate to the DL, LBs, and DBs, whereas Williams excels more in coverage and as a QB deterrent deep. Moving him closer to the line to make the calls would somewhat be wasting his ability and/or forcing him to be put out of position at the snap- especially when teams go no-huddle.

If anything Kyle Hamilton makes the most sense as the natural inheritance of the green dot because he can excel closer to the LOS as well as deep, he’s essentially a longer, similarly athletic, similar ranged, and better instincts version of Chuck Clark.

With our #2 ILB not being anything special it makes the most sense to have Chuck Clark and Kyle Hamilton rotate in and out of that dime backer role and that would more than justify Clark’s inclusion within the starting lineup and/or high snap count.

So unless we can trade him within a package that returns a notable WR option, it wouldn’t make sense to move him IMO.

The reason I said give the green dot to Williams is for one… he probably will play the highest percentage of snaps… Two… because of his reputation as a huge film study guy and three.. being as everyone is learning a new defense anyway (depending on how much Mike changes) being here previously won’t mean as much as if it was still Wink running the show… I think Hamilton will also see a lot of snaps but as a rookie I want him to be able to just play initially… So as far as snap count goes that leaves Williams who  I don’t think will ever be on the sidelines except maybe in heavy goal line packages… and while I get ur take on the green dot needing to be someone closer to the line of scrimmage I think more important than that is it being given to a guy who is always on the field… And as far as Clark I just don’t see what y’all see in his actual play… I also don’t think he has much room to grow as a player potential wise… for his immense knowledge of the defense with the green dot… it sure seemed like guys had a helluva lot of miscommunications last year… consistently out of place and blown coverage after blown coverage…,At least u could chalk up Stephens play to being new to the position and being a rookie who was playing RB a few years back… And even with that I saw his potential flash on multiple occasions… if Clark proves me wrong… great.. but based on his past play I wasn’t impressed 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Fully agreed. Also, I think it makes a ton of sense to use "big nickel" (5th DB as a safety, in this case Hamilton) as our "base" defense as well as a ton of Dime, as you mentioned.

• Like 1