Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

5 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I'm going on record. 

If Harbaugh has another season that ends with subpar results. Sean Payton is my above all others pick. 

He's a great offensive mind that could kick off the new LJ era in Baltimore (If Mega Deal is agreed upon). 

I'm a big Harbaugh guy but there's only so much of Harbaugh refusing to make in game adjustments and just standing there with a pouty look on his face watchinga bully take his candy. 

Has the Harbaugh charm wore off in charm city? That remains to be seen. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. 😒

I adore Harbaugh and think he’s a phenomenal, phenomenal coach. But sometimes things just run their course and it would be hard without a playoff win or 2 this year to think that there are better days ahead than what we’ve seen up to this point. It’s a tricky situation.

That being said, Payton has a nauseating playoff track record. Don’t think he’s ever won one outside of the Superdome, and he had HOF QB play for nearly 2 decades. That’s tough to do.

18 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I adore Harbaugh and think he’s a phenomenal, phenomenal coach. But sometimes things just run their course and it would be hard without a playoff win or 2 this year to think that there are better days ahead than what we’ve seen up to this point. It’s a tricky situation.

That being said, Payton has a nauseating playoff track record. Don’t think he’s ever won one outside of the Superdome, and he had HOF QB play for nearly 2 decades. That’s tough to do.

Regardless, we just extended Harbaugh in March until 2025 so it would take a pretty awful season for things to sour again, and I still think ownership would want to keep Harbaugh and instead fire Roman first.

• Like 3

I follow 506sports.com and on their Twitter feed is a number of tweets about the Ravens not being on DC television this week due to the Commanders also being on Fox.

While I am advocating for a realignment that would send the Steelers to the AFC East, the Colts and Chiefs to the AFC North, the Panthers and Dolphins to the AFC South, the Texans to the AFC West, the Ravens to the NFC East and the Cowboys to the NFC South, which would put the Ravens and the Commanders in the same division, starting next year all NFL games will be free agents TV-wise, which means under this alignment I am proposing, the Commanders and Ravens can still be on separate networks every week, the exceptions being when one of the teams is on their bye week or when they are playing each other (which would now be twice a year instead of one guaranteed meeting every four years).

• Like 2

Considering the ongoing issues with Ronnie Stanley’s health, what’s everyone’s thoughts on the Orlando Brown JR trade knowing now how much playing time Stanley has missed?  It appears Brown hasn’t performed well in KC, and possibly missed his only chance at a huge payday, but at least he’s playing. The Chiefs traded their 2021 first-round pick (No. 31 overall), a third-rounder (94), fourth-round pick (136) and a 2022 fifth-round selection in exchange for Brown and a 2021 second-round pick (No. 58) and a 2022 sixth-round pick. Those players turned out to be; Odafe Oweh, Ben Cleveland, Shaun Wade and Charlie Kolar (via trade w/AZ). The 2022 fifth round pick was traded to NYG. By comparison, KC received a healthy LT and used pick #58 to draft LB Nick Bolton. They ended up trading the 6th rounder to Pittsburgh. There’s a possibility that Brown would be available next season, most likely via trade. Should the Ravens pursue him?

29 minutes ago, Integrity said:

Considering the ongoing issues with Ronnie Stanley’s health, what’s everyone’s thoughts on the Orlando Brown JR trade knowing now how much playing time Stanley has missed?  It appears Brown hasn’t performed well in KC, and possibly missed his only chance at a huge payday, but at least he’s playing. The Chiefs traded their 2021 first-round pick (No. 31 overall), a third-rounder (94), fourth-round pick (136) and a 2022 fifth-round selection in exchange for Brown and a 2021 second-round pick (No. 58) and a 2022 sixth-round pick. Those players turned out to be; Odafe Oweh, Ben Cleveland, Shaun Wade and Charlie Kolar (via trade w/AZ). The 2022 fifth round pick was traded to NYG. By comparison, KC received a healthy LT and used pick #58 to draft LB Nick Bolton. They ended up trading the 6th rounder to Pittsburgh. There’s a possibility that Brown would be available next season, most likely via trade. Should the Ravens pursue him?

I'd rather have what we have than a guy in OBJ who didn't want to play RT and wanted to be traded. I don't regret it at all

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'd rather have what we have than a guy in OBJ who didn't want to play RT and wanted to be traded. I don't regret it at all

I don’t fault him for wanting to stay at LT, after all, that’s where the money is. I get that. When he played LT for us he was dominant. Good enough to warrant being traded for a 1st round pick. With hindsight being 20/20, I’d rather have a dominant LT that plays then an all pro on the roster that doesn’t. 

3 hours ago, Integrity said:

I don’t fault him for wanting to stay at LT, after all, that’s where the money is. I get that. When he played LT for us he was dominant. Good enough to warrant being traded for a 1st round pick. With hindsight being 20/20, I’d rather have a dominant LT that plays then an all pro on the roster that doesn’t. 

You'll always have Stanley on the roster, though, because he signed the contract. So what you are advocating is the Ravens should have payed Brown as a LT while also paying Stanley at LT on a $100 million contract. That doesn't seem feasible. 

I think last year was bad replacing Brown with a washed Villaneuva. But IMO Morgan Moses has been pretty good and costs way less than Brown. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

You'll always have Stanley on the roster, though, because he signed the contract. So what you are advocating is the Ravens should have payed Brown as a LT while also paying Stanley at LT on a $100 million contract. That doesn't seem feasible. 

I think last year was bad replacing Brown with a washed Villaneuva. But IMO Morgan Moses has been pretty good and costs way less than Brown. 

Yup. Trading Brown was the correct move. The bad move was not having an adequate replacement plan.

• Like 1

So it looks like the "NBD, Dolphins offense will do this to a lot of teams" excuse a lot of Ravens fans had after they obliterated our defense week 2 isn't really holding up, because they've been pretty contained/held down against the 3 other teams they've played so far instead of us. They put up 13 offensive points against the Pats, 21 on the Bills, and 15 on the Bengals.

Our defense is just bad, plain and simple.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

So it looks like the "NBD, Dolphins offense will do this to a lot of teams" excuse a lot of Ravens fans had after they obliterated our defense week 2 isn't really holding up, because they've been pretty contained/held down against the 3 other teams they've played so far instead of us. They put up 13 offensive points against the Pats, 21 on the Bills, and 15 on the Bengals.

Our defense is just bad, plain and simple.

I'm trying to stay optimistic. We are tied for the league lead in turnovers and INTs, but rank 31st in yards per play. Overall the DVOA is ranked 18th, which isn't terrible. 

I'd like to think that over time, the defensive communication in the secondary will improve so there won't be as many blown assignments. The Miami game was bad not because players were losing 1v1 matchups, but simply didn't know where they were supposed to be and some playcalls were stupid. Both correctable IMO. 

Losing Pierce hurts, but I didn't like how he played NT at times. Not a lot of gap discipline meant some runs gashed us. Hopefully a different DL rotation can improve that. 

I don't like MacDonald's body language on the sideline at all. He looks overwhelmed and confused. Maybe he's more of a booth guy.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The Miami game was bad not because players were losing 1v1 matchups, but simply didn't know where they were supposed to be and some playcalls were stupid. Both correctable IMO. 

Madubuike dropping into coverage from the LOS on the Gesicki TD. Blitzing multiple DBs including Marcus Williams on both of Tyreek Hill's long TDs. The list goes on.

Just stupid shoot yourself in the foot decisions from Macdonald when we had a healthy lead. He's been awful.

If you know the offense has throw to get back into the game, and that they have Hill & Waddle, and you're deploying Marcus Williams anywhere but deep- you shouldn't be employed in this league as a DC. That simple. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

Madubuike dropping into coverage from the LOS on the Gesicki TD. Blitzing multiple DBs including Marcus Williams on both of Tyreek Hill's long TDs. The list goes on.

Just stupid shoot yourself in the foot decisions from Macdonald when we had a healthy lead. He's been awful.

If you know the offense has throw to get back into the game, and that they have Hill & Waddle, and you're deploying Marcus Williams anywhere but deep- you shouldn't be employed in this league as a DC. That simple. 

I agree and am concerned, but I doubt Harbaugh makes a move this early in the season so I'm hoping MacDonald can learn and grow. I'm curious what Anthony Weaver could bring to the table as DC, but he wasn't good as a DC for the Texans and I don't see any other obvious candidates in house. 

• Like 1