Dotson Injury / Oline Discussion

bucsfan333

Hopefully it isn't serious. But if it is, we've got a couple options.

Benenoch could start. He's good in the running game, but he struggles in pass pro.

We could slide Pamphile over and have Evan Smith and Hawley duke it out at LG.

Neither option is particularly appealing. But I'm hoping Benenoch can pull it off if we need him to. Pamphile is up for a new contract and guards make less than tackles; assuming we don't just let him walk with all the depth we have.

Thoughts?

5 hours ago, deuces22wild said:

I think it's time we finish our online off. This season figure out what we have and what we need and between FA/draft wrap it up and let them grow together. I want a Titans/Cowboys tier line.

Agreed. Marpet is the only cornerstone along the OL. Everyone else is replaceable. I want TB to upgrade the talent in the trenches but we need to see who needs to be replaced first. Dotson, Smith, and Pamphile can easily be replaced via draft. 

This year is make or break for Smith. He improved a lot in the second half of last season and appears to have become more consistent. 

I like Smith and think a lot of the criticism he gets is unfair. He's one of these players where what I'm seeing on the game film doesn't tie up to what's being written about him.

Next year is likely the year we target the trenches, on both sides of the ball. If we can get a blue chip prospect at LT, great, but I'd much rather that was a luxury, rather then a necessity because of Smith's play.

Koetter is really, really high on Donovan Smith. He's said a few times that he believes Smith can be one of the best LTs in the league.

Pamphile is solid at everything, but not really great. But he's a guy we should keep around, because those types of olinemen are hard to find.

Marpet is definitely a cornerstone type olineman. indifference is right about that.

Sweezy is a monster in the run game. And I love his attitude. If he can continue to be a decent pass blocker, I think we're ok there. 

The biggest question is RT. Dotson isn't one of the best anymore, and hasn't been for a few years. He's decent, but we can do better. I think that's why we've been working so hard on Benenoch.

11 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Koetter is really, really high on Donovan Smith. He's said a few times that he believes Smith can be one of the best LTs in the league.

Pamphile is solid at everything, but not really great. But he's a guy we should keep around, because those types of olinemen are hard to find.

Marpet is definitely a cornerstone type olineman. indifference is right about that.

Sweezy is a monster in the run game. And I love his attitude. If he can continue to be a decent pass blocker, I think we're ok there. 

The biggest question is RT. Dotson isn't one of the best anymore, and hasn't been for a few years. He's decent, but we can do better. I think that's why we've been working so hard on Benenoch.

sweezy really is a monster in the run game , just mauls ppl , glad hes actually going to upgrade the  line

dotson is kinda garbage if you ask me IMO hes always hurt , hes serviceable yeah , should be better as a backup

its funny Benenoch is getting reps at tackle when they always say that if you play guard you usually cant play tackle, and they always move tackles to guards but generally not the other way around

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Donovan Smith would have to implode this year for them to think about replacing him.  His initial pinch on pass protection just absolutely stops rushers.  Cautiously optomistic about Sweezy.  If the back can hold for an entire year, then he can be a fixture for years.  I think Licht will continue to draft oline, but RT could really be the long term question mark.  

8 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Donovan Smith would have to implode this year for them to think about replacing him.  His initial pinch on pass protection just absolutely stops rushers.  Cautiously optomistic about Sweezy.  If the back can hold for an entire year, then he can be a fixture for years.  I think Licht will continue to draft oline, but RT could really be the long term question mark.  

Smith's punch put Michael Johnson on his butt more than once when we played Cincy a couple weeks ago. He's come a long way since his awful rookie year. I hope Koetter is right in his assessment.

20 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Smith's punch put Michael Johnson on his butt more than once when we played Cincy a couple weeks ago. He's come a long way since his awful rookie year. I hope Koetter is right in his assessment.

Smith had some really nice punches against Jacksonville also.  Howard is going to help the oline.  He is a stud in his blocking. I had severe concerns about Hawley.  The Saints for years have invested heavily in guards and centers.  Their tackles would allow DEs to go outside because the inside was so well fortified.  If Marpet and Sweezy can do as expected, I believe the Bucs will get similiar results.

6 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Smith had some really nice punches against Jacksonville also.  Howard is going to help the oline.  He is a stud in his blocking. I had severe concerns about Hawley.  The Saints for years have invested heavily in guards and centers.  Their tackles would allow DEs to go outside because the inside was so well fortified.  If Marpet and Sweezy can do as expected, I believe the Bucs will get similiar results.

our interior is pretty set , the only thing on our OLine that needs upgrading is RT

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

our interior is pretty set , the only thing on our OLine that needs upgrading is RT

If Benenoch can become our future RT and Wester can step up and be our swing tackle, we're set on the oline for a few years. Assuming we resign Pamphile.

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

If Benenoch can become our future RT and Wester can step up and be our swing tackle, we're set on the oline for a few years. Assuming we resign Pamphile.

that would really be the IDEAL scenario, because then we could just focus on getting a legit DE and another CB and we'd be good

idk if i'd bank on that though

Archived