The 2019 Defensive Conundrum

bosko1616

With another regime change it brings up the possibility of yet another Defenive scheme change. The most significant would be the switch from 4-3 to 3-4. Less significant would be 4-3 to wide 9 ( Seattle ). Now I believe we’re closer to being a truly elite D then we ever have been. If it was up to me I wouldn’t change our base 4-3 but it’s not so I think it would be wise to atleast start warming up to the idea so we’re not all pissed when it does happen. Let’s take a look at a possibile 3-4 alignment we could get excited about. I’m going to rock the Ravens 3-4 alignment. Where Garrett plays the Suggs roll and very rarely goes into coverage but will from time to time so it looks like a 4-3 but it’s a 3-4 with one down LB. ( I’m including Draft and FA in here to try and make myself feel better )

OLB - Garrett 

DE - Ogbah ( Rookie year 285 Ogbah ) 

NT - Ogunjobi ( this switch hurts him the most ) 

DE -  Q. Williams ( Draft ) 

OLB - Dee Ford/Genard Avery

MLB - Schobert and Kirksey ( immediate Weakness ) both are undersized and we would need a true Mike to help with the Run game. ( Khalil Hodges/Devon White are options in the Draft ) 

its going to take me time to start looking at 3-4 guys again so consider this a rough draft. What’s your guys thoughts ?

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Another FO and another scheme that doesn’t fit our personnel. Ogunjobi isn’t a nose and our 2 ILB are 4-3 LB. JMHO

I know, I know but I’m just trying to put lipstick on a pig here because unfortunately it’s not up to either you or I and there’s a 50-50 chance it’s happening so we might as well try warming up to it now if it does happen. 

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I know, I know but I’m just trying to put lipstick on a pig here because unfortunately it’s not up to either you or I and there’s a 50-50 chance it’s happening so we might as well try warming up to it now if it does happen. 

Not a 50/50 chance. It all depends on the candidates.  

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I would almost run with Garrettt and Obunjobi as the DEs and go after the best NT in the draft if they switch to the 3/4. Again Rookie NTs rarely make early impacts. So I would just sign the best one you got. 

Ogunjobi is only 6’3 305 do you think he has the length to do that ? I’m putting Garrett at OLB to get as many athletes on the field at the same time. I think 3-4 DE would severely limit Garrett. Another guy to think about is Chad Thomas he’s 6’5 290

10 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

So 50:50 we could hire a guy who wants the 3/4 or we could not. 

Let’s say their are four candidates the Browns want to hire. 3 of them run a 4/3 and the other one runs a 3/4. Now it’s a 25% chance of a 3/4. 

Maybe the guy isn’t sure he wants to run a 3/4 and wants to hire a 4/3 scheme. So now wouldn’t it be .125% of a 3/4. Now say the new HC likes a couple of DCs. 3 of them run a 4/3 and one of them runs a 3/4. So does the probability become .0312 of a chance of a 3/4?

@mistakey you’re the math guy, been a long time since I did probability in statistics over 10years ago. Is my thought process on the right track or am I just being a rambling idiot again....even both?

6 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Ogunjobi is only 6’3 305 do you think he has the length to do that ? I’m putting Garrett at OLB to get as many athletes on the field at the same time. I think 3-4 DE would severely limit Garrett. Another guy to think about is Chad Thomas he’s 6’5 290

I say that about Obun because I don’t see him being a good 2gap NT. The dude is a beast at beating blocks, not eating them. He would be a complete waste as a 3/4 NT. Better off trading him then. Heard the Pats got a young NT they don’t play that much...

I think in a one Gap 3-4 like the one ran by Wade Phillips, Ogunjobi would be good at the nose because he'd be playing similar to what he does know. Old school two Gap, not so much.

I'd actually be fine with a wide-9 4-3 D. God, imagine how dam dangerous Myles would be lined out wide. 

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Let’s say there are four candidates the browns want to hire. 3 of them run a 4/3 and the other one runs a 3/4. Now it’s a 25% chance of a 3/4. 

Maybe the guy isn’t sure he wants to run a 3/4 and wants to hire a 4/3 scheme. So now wouldn’t it be .125% of a 3/4. Now say the new HC likes a couple of DCs. 3 of them run a 4/3 and one of them runs a 3/4. So does the probability become .0312 of a chance of a 3/4?

@mistakey you’re the math guy, been a long time since I did probability in statistics over 10years ago. Is my thought process on the right track or am I just being a rambling idiot again....even both?

Unless you Know for sure the group of candidates we are looking at and there preferred defense and this current time it’s 50:50. I’m not saying it can’t change but we don’t know. I’m trying to say we should probably start warming up to the idea. 

2 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

I think in a one Gap 3-4 like the one ran by Wade Phillips, Ogunjobi would be good at the nose because he'd be playing similar to what he does know. Old school two Gap, not so much.

I'd actually be fine with a wide-9 4-3 D. God, imagine how dam dangerous Myles would be lined out wide. 

I’m really hoping Kris Richards becomes a candidate for DC. I think Garrett’s gone at the end of the year which leaves him to signwhere ever. Garrett and then maybe get Frank Clark Ogunjobi and maybe Oliver or Williams would be nasty. 

1 minute ago, Fatgerman said:

Browns don’t have ILBs to run the 1 gap scheme. Browns LBs struggle in the 4/3. Browns would need to complety rebuild their LB core mainly the Inside guys. Outside guys would be prolly Garrett and Avery. Schobert and Kirksey are not 3/4 ILB. Not nearly good enough at shedding blocks specially now that your nose isn’t eating blocks. 

5 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Unless you Know for sure the group of candidates we are looking at and there preferred defense and this current time it’s 50:50. I’m not saying it can’t change but we don’t know. I’m trying to say we should probably start warming up to the idea. 

Well if the number of candidates is an unknown we can’t say 50/50 lol  I feel like Dorsey will go after a guy who has 4/3 intentions. Browns defense is set up for a 4/3  already have the ideal 4/3 DE, Idea 4/3 DT, have an ideal MLB. It’s going to be easier for Dorsey to build the 4/3 then change it to the 3/4. It’s why I’m glad Dorsey is running the search and not Haslam 

Archived