Giants part ways with OG Patrick Omameh; signs with Jags

TheKillerNacho

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8996/patrick-omameh

Guy always seemed like a poor interior OL. And yet, the Giants gave him a 3-year deal in the offseason. Cutting him now gives the Giants $3.5M in dead money in 2019. The Giants recently claimed Jamon Brown from the Rams.

Update: Patrick Omameh has signed with Jacksonville after putting Linder on IR.

51 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8996/patrick-omameh

Guy always seemed like a poor interior OL. And yet, the Giants gave him a 3-year deal in the offseason. Cutting him now gives the Giants $3.5M in dead money in 2019. The Giants recently claimed Jamon Brown from the Rams.

Oh, Mama!

Latest of the Giants' mystifying 2018 free-agent signings. As a fan of the team, I have to give them all the credit in the world for bringing in a rich lode of Former Arizona And Carolina stiffs, back-ups, and who-he? FA's in a great turgid mudslide of a rebuild. Anyone still possessing four limbs was fair game for a big contract with the Giants, as long as he had once played for Gettleman, James Bettcher, or Pat Shurmur. Gettleman, riding a wave of  fan optimism and good will based on his Not Being Jerry Reese, was apparently given free rein to collect good old boys fortunate enough to have once impressed one of The Big Three in the new Giants' hierarchy. The signings, such as Omameh replacing D. J. Fluker, who had given the Giants run-blocking missing since the Chris Snee/ Kareem McKenzie era, were baffling; the sort of additions that seemed so useless- change for the sake of change- that stupid trusting fans like myself believed they must know something about these guys. The sort of signings you read about and think, "Ummmmm..................okaaaaaaaay?"

Several of these were touted, not so much for their football abilities, as for being "great additions to the locker-room", as though they were new carpeting. Jonathan Stewart, come on down!

The list of Giants' free-agent signings this year reads off like a veritable All-Star team- if this were the USFL in 1984:

Jonathan Stewart..... Kareem Martin......Josh Mauro.... Patrick Omameh.....Russell Shepard....... Connor Barwin..... Teddy Williams.... Scott Simonson.........Tad Sobber.....Dudd Flockley.........Shemp Howard........ Augustus Gloop........ Mike Tee Vee....... Ed "Tunafish" Jones........ Doc Bongflapp............ can a return to the Super Bowl be too far off????????

Dave Gettleman has enjoyed a honeymoon of sorts with fans and press alike, following the Dark Ages of Jerry "Who Needs Blocking?" Reese, as one does coming in on the heels of a disaster. Cannot say that his scorecard looks an awful lot better, at this point; one can only hope that the Giants score heavily in next April's draft- the mantra of fans of losing teams every year.

Hog Mollies, and Great Fit in the Locker-Room!

Image result for dave gettleman 

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

That’s not how comp picks work 

In this case, it is. Because he was cut prior to week 10, his contract no longer factors into the compensatory pick formula. This move solidifies the Giants getting a 4th round pick for Pugh, which is huge.

It is a 3.5 million dead money hit next year, but it is also a 3 million cap savings, which if I understand the cap correctly, rolls over into next year if it is unspent this year. 

And yes, Omameh was that bad. On a team that has featured Ereck Flowers, Chad Wheeler, Brian Mihalik, and Jon Greco, he was the worst OL on the team. By far. 

40 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Signing Giants OL castoffs is not a good thing. I honestly can't believe that the Jaguars have done it twice now. 

Normally i'd just laugh and the Flowers thing just reeked of desperation...but honestly, Omameh wasn't that terrible for us last year.  He was kinda in that "fringe depth starter" muck territory, where you can get through games just fine if he's your worst starter...but he should probably be a backup.

If they want to lure him back so he can put down roots as a cheap depth player in Jacksonville, i'd be fine with that...unless he's completely forgotten how to play or something.

Archived