Patriots @ Texans Pre-Season Version

amazingandre

Granted its preseason Ellington impressed the heck out me given how long he has been with the team. Not going to go out the window and say he will replace Fuller's production but he always had the talent, just couldnt stay healthy. He adds a different element to this offense. Cant take 2 yard catches and turn them into big gains. 

-Savage was impressive granted he still takes too long to get the ball out. 

-Dont know why the heck we keep running Miller up the middle. We have Foreman for that now. Miller should be used on the outside ONLY. Maybe get him involved on screens.

-There should be no reason whatsoever we should be bad this season in the redzone. We have the targets (to be good in the redzone) at WR (Strong, Hopkins). We have the backs (Miller, Foreman and Blue). If Watson starts at some point in the season, he is another threat in the redzone.

-Lord forbid anyone starting on our front 7 gets hurt this season. Zach CUnningham was terrible. I know he is a rookie but one of the reasons we picked him was because he is a very good coverage LB. 

-Watson will need some time and I can accept that. I might have bought into his hype last week but its looking like Savage will be our starter week 1 baring any setbacks. I will say his leash will be short. Fans will be on Savage's tail everytime he messes up. 

-Foreman is a beast. Should be starting for us at least by midseason. 

9 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Lord forbid anyone starting on our front 7 gets hurt this season. Zach CUnningham was terrible. I know he is a rookie but one of the reasons we picked him was because he is a very good coverage LB. 

It was surprising how bad he was considering against the Panthers he only allowed 1 reception for 4 yards in like 20 coverage snaps. 

Lord forbid anyone starting on our front 7 gets hurt this season. Zach CUnningham was terrible. I know he is a rookie but one of the reasons we picked him was because he is a very good coverage LB. 

I'll chalk this up to going against a team that has perfected using RBs and TEs in the passing game. That's the recent staple of this team, and expecting a rook to hang is a tough task.

48 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'll chalk this up to going against a team that has perfected using RBs and TEs in the passing game. That's the recent staple of this team, and expecting a rook to hang is a tough task.

Thats a good point but it still shocked me how bad he was given pass coverage is one of his strengths. 

Thats a good point but it still shocked me how bad he was given pass coverage is one of his strengths. 

Part of it is - he's a rookie. McKinney wasn't nearly as good his first season at ILB, but he rounded out. 

Our system is complex, and the NFL moves much faster than the SEC. Cunningham will round into a fine player, but he'll need time. 

Other notes:

- Watson looked rough, but I don't think this QB battle is over. It's 1-1 right now between Savage and Watson, and the Saints game should decide it.

- Bruce Ellington is really fighting for a starter spot. He is very agressive fighting for the ball in the air, running for extra yards, etc. Hope he stays healthy, he's quite the find.

- For all the hype he got in the offseason, Jimmy Garropolo isn't that good. That INT to Denzel Rice was an awful throw, no professional should be attempting to make that throw.

- It's not just that D'Onta Foreman looks good; Lamar Miller looks BAD. I'm not sure if it's playcalling or what, but Miller just looks like nothing is working for him. I'll wait for the bullets to start flying, but it would not shock me if Miller is phased out of the offense in favor of Foreman, Ervin and Blue.

- Speaking of which, Tyler Ervin is starting to come around. He looks good on each touch, and could really make an impact for the offense.

- Special Teams. Seriously, I could coach them up to such a poor performance. Larry Izzo's unit is going to cost us a few games.

6 hours ago, Warhorse said:

I think he is going to be serviceable, at the very least for you guys. He has the tools to get to the stater level. 

Take it you're talking about Watson? I'm taking this start with a grain of salt, but it should scuttle the talk of Watson starting week 1. (Admittedly, I was on that bandwagon).

The Saints game should be the deciding factor - Savage will start, Watson will get in early. One of the two has to stand out. Savage has the advantage, but that could potentially change.

12 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

He's always been a bit out of control in coverage and run defense that is the only reason he fell to the 2nd. But he has all the athleticism needed to be great in coverage. The more precise the RB or TE is at route running (which is the Pats specialty) the more he'll struggle initially.

For Watson's passes

The first throw to Anderson was inaccurate. He simply missed his spot. He needs to do better with those throws, the positive thing is, we saw him do it in Carolina so we know he can.

The next throw was to Allen and it was perfect. Allen didn't hold on to it during the hit and it was ruled incomplete.

The next series led off with a run, in which Davenport stepped on DQ's foot and rolled his ankle, the next play he got blown up and instant pressure into Watson, the rest of the OL got pushed back and Watson's pass was deflected at the line. Just a bad play all around, especially Slade at RG, he was terrible.

The next play was terrible again for the OL, specifically Slade at RG. The WRs almost ran into one another (looks like his first read because he was gearing up to throw before the pressure go to him). The pressure and lack of anyone open (his RB hadn't even released yet) caused him to try and escape the pocket, he got pulled down as he tried to escape.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_21_at_8_27_11_AM.png

The next play he made a great run, but again, Davenport was instantly beat and no one was open (or complete with their route)

Screen_Shot_2017_08_21_at_8_31_50_AM.png

The next throw was perfect to Ellington, he juggled it, but ultimately caught it for a big gain. He was open because it was a great route combo and the defenders bumped into one another. Watson did a lot of barking at the LOS, not sure if he checked into the play or not, but it was nice.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_21_at_8_33_55_AM.png

The next pass was to Anderson in the endzone, he missed him deep. He needs to improve on those for sure. Crazy as it sounds, if he makes that throw, we are talking completely different about him today IMO.

The next throw was a great one to Baylis, but Ellington stopped on his route and deflected it, making it incomplete. Clearly a bad stat for Watson, but no chance you fault him for that in your grading.

The next throw was to Ellington, he ran a curl route and Watson threw the ball as if he were suppose to be on a crossing route. I can only assume as I have no idea what was called here, but one has to think Ellington again ran the wrong route. He has been here all of 2 minutes. Not a big deal to me. They need to clean up the communication and understanding of their roles.

**Side note here, Thompson has crazy speed lol

The next series started out on our 2 yard line. Two runs up the middle, then a deep jump ball. The ball placement wasn't good. Even if he was nervous for the safety, he needs to throw it higher and give our guy a chance. That was a bad throw, he needs to get better on those, similar to the throw in the endzone he missed earlier.

The next pass was a curl route to Thompson, that was a poor pass by Watson. This IMO was his first poor pass on a throw he needs to make 100% of the time. The deep throw to the endzone and the throw up the sideline are throws even great ones miss sometimes. I have some forgiveness on those, but not this throw. He simply missed it.

The next throw was the big play to Foreman. YES Foreman made magic after the catch, but that throw was MONEY. He called the play at the line, got them set, and threw a dart. Great throw and catch and run. This is the type of throw I think Savage will never make, he doesn't seem to have the confidence to even attempt something like this.

I am pretty positive the next play was a called run for Watson. 83 immediately came off the ball and started blocking. This is another dynamic you don't get with Savage.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_21_at_8_54_50_AM.png

All in all, I feel 100% better after watching this in more detail. I think Watson is still closing in on Savage, but Savage has done little to give up the starting role. I really want Watson to play with our starters this week to get a feel for it. I doubt it happens though.

Archived