Post Bye Week Schedule - Playoff Scenarios

Apollo Stallion

So we've got 7 to go with what looks like a 1 game lead in the division which suddenly looks pretty good with the Titans taking down the Pats and Colts likely putting the nail in the Jags coffin.  Don't look now folks, but I think it's looking very likely that the non Chargers Wild Card comes from the AFC South and I think we end up with 3 teams with winning records and the best last place team with the Jags (sorry not buying the Dolphins, Bengals, or Ravens).  We have absolutely no room to be comfortable and dare I say, we've been relatively injury free aside from Fuller, Coutee and some replacement level DBs (well unless you consider a winning streak with a collapsed lung an injury). 

• @ Redskins - on record alone, this would be a likely L, but Skins aren't as good an their record.  O'Brien simply doesn't beat teams with winning records on the road and I have a feeling we'll get a reminder why this week.  That being said, this Redskins team scares nobody with practically nothing to be concerned about on offense.  Their run defense is as stout as it gets, so this is the game the shackles need to be taken off Watson.  No more throwing away 1st down every drive as it's not going anywhere in this one.  I'd air it out early and try to bury them, but I know better and this will likely be another ugly game to watch as Gruden loves ugly slow ball too and Alex Smith defines dink and dunk. O'Brien reminds us all that we can't have nice things.  Redskins 24-17.  
  • Titans - the most critical game of the season, on Monday night no less.   Gives me nightmares of one of the MNF game where I was officially done with Kubiak when he chose to burn off clock to  "center the ball" for a 51 yard FG for Kris Brown who had already shanked one.   Lose this one and the Titans not only likely pass us in record, but hold the tiebreakers which is like an extra win.   Vrabel absolutely punked O'Brien in the first one with Gabbert and no o-line.  Just like the Redskins, the Titans specialize in winning ugly.  We all remember what we did to them last year in our house and this needs to be more of the same with us hitting Mariota early and often.  I'd get Butler isolated in man and go to freaking town deep.   Texans 31 - Titans 17.
  • Browns - watch out, this Browns team is way better than their record.   Remember, they essentially has both the Steelers and Saints beat if not for their kicker.  Now Chubb is giving them a running game which allows Mayfield to do his thing.  We absolutely cannot get trapped by this game sandwiched between Titans and Colts.  For all the things O'Brien does that drive me nuts, unlike the Kubiak teams, we are NOT prone to overlooking teams (unless you want to count the Giants earlier this season) at home.  Get up early in this one or it could get scary.   Texans 28 - Browns 24  
  • Colts - Don't look now, the Colts are back.  Luck is playing brilliantly despite lacking skill position talent.  This has revenge game written all over it and has likely been circled since Reich's aggressive playcall.  Unlike the first time, they have a running game with Mack and I think they beat us if TY Hilton didn't get hurt earlier.  Honestly, I think it's entirely possible by the time we play them, the Colts could be very much in the playoff picture as they have a cakewalk schedule.  Colts 42 - Texans 28.
  • @ Jets - worst team in football. If O'Brien can't win this one on the road, we'll never be a threat to do anything in playoffs.  Texans 24 - Jets 13.
  • @ Eagles - I'll never pick O'Brien to win outside the division on the road vs. a decent team.  If we win this, we will be a force to be reckoned with, but I just don' see it.   Eagles 24 - Texans 13
  • Jags - I think the Jags will have packed it in by then.   After our last game we saw this isn't a locker room built to handle adversity and I suspect they will have unfairly blamed their problems on Bortles by then and will be focused on next year playing backups.  Sure, they hate us enough to want to play spoiler, but I think we can put them to bed with an early lead.  Texans 27 - Jags 10.

So that puts us in uncharted O'Brien territory at 10-6 narrowly beating the Colts and Titans who finish 9-7.   Colts make playoffs as final wild card winning head to head  tiebreaker over Titans (they play twice so next week in Indy is a big one).   We play Chargers at home in Wild Card and win the biggest game in franchise history with Watt and Clowney making Rivers finally look his age.  We get to Pittsburgh and lose an ugly one.   Steelers beat Saints in a Super Bowl that breaks every offensive record.  Ben pulls an Elway/Bettis and retires with the Lombardi in hand.  Lev Bell fires his agent.

12 hours ago, tab said:

i kind of want to go to the browns game

i try and go to the games we are on national tv.  im considering going to the colts game depending on how big it is.    i was going to go to the jags game week 17 but that game is meaningless it looks like. 

On 11/12/2018 at 7:52 AM, ET80 said:

Gonna put something out there - if we get to the playoffs and get the Chiefs in round 2, we'll win

Gotta bet against Andy Reid every time until he gives me a reason not to bet against him.

You can kinda say the same thing about Bill O'Brien though. He's never gotten us past round 2, has he?

On 11/11/2018 at 4:39 PM, Apollo Stallion said:

Titans - the most critical game of the season, on Monday night no less.   Gives me nightmares of one of the MNF game where I was officially done with Kubiak when he chose to burn off clock to  "center the ball" for a 51 yard FG for Kris Brown who had already shanked one.   Lose this one and the Titans not only likely pass us in record, but hold the tiebreakers which is like an extra win.   Vrabel absolutely punked O'Brien in the first one with Gabbert and no o-line.  Just like the Redskins, the Titans specialize in winning ugly.  We all remember what we did to them last year in our house and this needs to be more of the same with us hitting Mariota early and often.  I'd get Butler isolated in man and go to freaking town deep.   Texans 31 - Titans 17.

Ouch!

On 11/12/2018 at 11:08 AM, Texansfan713 said:

i try and go to the games we are on national tv.  im considering going to the colts game depending on how big it is.    i was going to go to the jags game week 17 but that game is meaningless it looks like. 

its never meaningless if we can beat the jags!

On 11/11/2018 at 3:39 PM, Apollo Stallion said:

Titans - the most critical game of the season, on Monday night no less.   Gives me nightmares of one of the MNF game where I was officially done with Kubiak when he chose to burn off clock to  "center the ball" for a 51 yard FG for Kris Brown who had already shanked one.   Lose this one and the Titans not only likely pass us in record, but hold the tiebreakers which is like an extra win.   Vrabel absolutely punked O'Brien in the first one with Gabbert and no o-line.  Just like the Redskins, the Titans specialize in winning ugly.  We all remember what we did to them last year in our house and this needs to be more of the same with us hitting Mariota early and often.  I'd get Butler isolated in man and go to freaking town deep.   Texans 31 - Titans 17

I don't expect a W, but I think - after yesterday - this one is a bit more palatable.

This being said, the Colts are the real sharks in the water.

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't expect a W, but I think - after yesterday - this one is a bit more palatable.

This being said, the Colts are the real sharks in the water.

Not scared of the Titans.  If they start Gabbert next Monday they will be in trouble.  Wont be any more falling for fake punts this time.

Archived