Week 11 GDT: GB @ Seattle TreeSloths

incognito_man

Just now, squire12 said:

Stretching the truth.

This

Didn't look into it that closely tbh.

Even if we agree on 18/51, that's still a 65% pass play. That seems to be the target ratio for this team.

I'm not sure how much more you want to run the ball. Surely we can't be thinking we want to run on every 1st and 10 and 2nd and short?

21 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Even if we agree on 18/51, that's still a 65% pass play. That seems to be the target ratio for this team.

I'm not sure how much more you want to run the ball. Surely we can't be thinking we want to run on every 1st and 10 and 2nd and short?

I'd like to run the ball on first down more. Not to the point where we are predictable but I think one of the reasons we are so bad on 3rd down this year is because it's always 3rd and 10. Not sure if this is an Aaron or a Mike problem

39 minutes ago, soup's not a meal said:

I'd like to run the ball on first down more. Not to the point where we are predictable but I think one of the reasons we are so bad on 3rd down this year is because it's always 3rd and 10. Not sure if this is an Aaron or a Mike problem

10 runs 17 passes (counting Rodgers scrambles as passes. 

Running on 38% of first downs. 

Could argue it should be higher, 

An admittedly small sample of data on 1st down Success Rate does suggest the Packers should hand the ball to Aaron Jones slightly more often assuming there isn't a big gap in score or other circumstance biasing the gameplan towards passing. Aaron Jones running on 1st and 10 gets a "Success" (min 5 yards) about 10% more often than a pass (65% vs 55%).

On 11/14/2018 at 9:51 AM, Howler said:

"I've noticed a couple of important things about (the Packers) over the past few weeks that probably won't help them in Seattle," writes Breech. "They can't win on the road and they can't stop the run. That second one is going to be an issue because the Seahawks have the top rushing offense in the NFL while the Packers have given up 140.6 yards per game on the ground since Week 6, which is the fifth-worst in the NFL over that span."

"Green Bay's 0-4 road record is also a problem, because the Packers have to play a Seahawks team that almost never loses at home in primetime, and if I've learned one thing about picking Seahawks games it's that you never pick against them at home in primetime (They're 14-2 since hiring Pete Carroll)."

If we play our base 3-4 defense we are excellent against the run. Problem is we usually play a 4-2-5. I hope they try and ground and pound. We're beat up in the secondary and on short on EDGE pass rushers. Not sure running at us isn't to our advantage. 

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What should the run/pass ratio be?

We had 25 carries last week.

Rodgers had 28 passing attempts and was sacked twice last week.

25 rushes on 55 plays is a ton. 

how many were AR scrambles sorry I didn't go look it up. Take away at least 4-5 scrambles that he had which sure are great but at the same time should be run plays. Last week was a better performance i will admit that but the all in all we are in the bottom 4 in the league in rush attempts that can't be disputed. With that said i would never think we'll be a 50/50 team but we need to be better than what we are. Heck AG, you have to admit that our current run game or lack thereof has not helped our offense this year. Why not stay on top of the chains, better yet let our Oline do some pushing and throwing rather than our continuous efforts to put them in pass pro. Just my thoughts, i'd like to see a bit more balance week in week out not just against the fins in one game.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

65% is a tad high to me, although what would be beneficial is more deception. I"m sure the fins were lost when we ran in the red zone last Sunday. We have 5 rushing TD's in 9 games. Too low.

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

how many were AR scrambles sorry I didn't go look it up. Take away at least 4-5 scrambles that he had which sure are great but at the same time should be run plays. Last week was a better performance i will admit that but the all in all we are in the bottom 4 in the league in rush attempts that can't be disputed. With that said i would never think we'll be a 50/50 team but we need to be better than what we are. Heck AG, you have to admit that our current run game or lack thereof has not helped our offense this year. Why not stay on top of the chains, better yet let our Oline do some pushing and throwing rather than our continuous efforts to put them in pass pro. Just my thoughts, i'd like to see a bit more balance week in week out not just against the fins in one game.

Aaron Jones had 15 carries, Jamaal Williams had 3, Rodgers had 6 (3 are kneel downs), Greene had 1.

What many of you are saying is that you'd run this team differently than the Packers do - and that's fine and fun for message boards

But...you fail to take into account some of the realities that the team is /was facing early in the season. I've noted earlier all of the changes on the offensive coaching side - whether you choose to accept the challenges those changes represent is irrelevant to me, but it doesn't make them go away either.

Aaron Jones made a dumbass mistake and got caught for speeding and smoking/possessing weed. It matters not what you think of weed, the league has rules and Jones was suspended for the 1st two games of the year. So, when planning early season offense, relying on Jones would appear to be a dumbass plan. It often takes players a week or 2 to get up to game speed, so GB was looking at missing Jones for weeks 1-3 and needed an alternative plan. There may also have been internal penalties as well- GMo got popped the year before and several other Packers have as as well. At some point the HC has to lay down the law and so there are some unknowns in terms of Aaron Jones early season - availability.

Additionally, the Packers have in-depth into on injuries, both in college and the pros and Jones has gotten dinged several times with lower leg injuries. Jones worked hard on beefing up his legs in the offseason to help ameliorate those issues. GB had to be a little careful in rationing his early season carries to insure that he'd be available for crunch time in December and January. That's being smart

An NFL season is also a bit of a poker game, and good poker players know how and when to lay down their cards in order to maximize their winnings. The Packers are well aware of AJ's talents, but if they make him the workhorse ACE early in the season, it allows DCs time to counteract and take that away. Smart NFL teams always leave some unscouted or underutilized plays for the 2nd half of the season - its smart poker. And with AR under center, there was plenty of emphasis on getting him comfortable with his new WRs, new TEs and new coaches early on.

We're lucky enough to have some really high quality posters here who take the time to actually review plays, look at stats and give you a slice of reality that you won't get from parroting twitter memes. Please take advantage of their insight, these guys really put out top notch material

As the weather turns and the season rolls along, the passing game gets a wee bit harder, the running game takes on a greater importance and the gelling of the OL gets more in sync. This happens every single season, its not a new phenomenon. The Packers and MM are fully aware of AJ's capabilities, that they deploy them differently than you would doesn't make them dumbasses - quite the opposite.

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

What many of you are saying is that you'd run this team differently than the Packers do - and that's fine and fun for message boards

But...you fail to take into account some of the realities that the team is /was facing early in the season. I've noted earlier all of the changes on the offensive coaching side - whether you choose to accept the challenges those changes represent is irrelevant to me, but it doesn't make them go away either.

Aaron Jones made a dumbass mistake and got caught for speeding and smoking/possessing weed. It matters not what you think of weed, the league has rules and Jones was suspended for the 1st two games of the year. So, when planning early season offense, relying on Jones would appear to be a dumbass plan. It often takes players a week or 2 to get up to game speed, so GB was looking at missing Jones for weeks 1-3 and needed an alternative plan. There may also have been internal penalties as well- GMo got popped the year before and several other Packers have as as well. At some point the HC has to lay down the law and so there are some unknowns in terms of Aaron Jones early season - availability.

Additionally, the Packers have in-depth into on injuries, both in college and the pros and Jones has gotten dinged several times with lower leg injuries. Jones worked hard on beefing up his legs in the offseason to help ameliorate those issues. GB had to be a little careful in rationing his early season carries to insure that he'd be available for crunch time in December and January. That's being smart

An NFL season is also a bit of a poker game, and good poker players know how and when to lay down their cards in order to maximize their winnings. The Packers are well aware of AJ's talents, but if they make him the workhorse ACE early in the season, it allows DCs time to counteract and take that away. Smart NFL teams always leave some unscouted or underutilized plays for the 2nd half of the season - its smart poker. And with AR under center, there was plenty of emphasis on getting him comfortable with his new WRs, new TEs and new coaches early on.

We're lucky enough to have some really high quality posters here who take the time to actually review plays, look at stats and give you a slice of reality that you won't get from parroting twitter memes. Please take advantage of their insight, these guys really put out top notch material

As the weather turns and the season rolls along, the passing game gets a wee bit harder, the running game takes on a greater importance and the gelling of the OL gets more in sync. This happens every single season, its not a new phenomenon. The Packers and MM are fully aware of AJ's capabilities, that they deploy them differently than you would doesn't make them dumbasses - quite the opposite.

You left out how much of training camp AJ missed due to the injury.

It would have been foolish to load him up in his first few weeks back.  

And I agree with you on another point.  I don't really care if anyone accepts this point as well.

15 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The reality is almost everyone on this board and that board has something to say. So yes we all have thoughts on what and how the Pack should operate. As you note there is a diverse knowledge base on here. We have more then AJ as our only RB. I"m not sure on all parties myself though would prefer to see more balance. That doesn't mean running AJ into the ground but it does mean running the ball. Monty and Williams were/are both capable of carries. Other then the gameday threads I haven't myself seen to many suggest that the coaching staff aren't smart or capable heck they are there for a reason. But lots of coaches, GM's heck even owners make stupid or dumbass calls, plays and moves everyday. So i'll say that for what it's worth.

Archived