Having a little fun with the draft simulators

Magnus-Viktor

24: R1P24 TE T.J. HOCKENSON
IOWA
This is probably my favorite player in college football right now.  He's an absolute stud that can do it all.  I almost went with Kendall Sheffield or Deandre Baker here due to need, but I saw that Trayvon Mullen was projected to be around in 3, so I went with the TE instead.  Plus even though I love Vance McDonald, he's injured too often and there's too much of a drop off with James due to lack of YAC.  The O took off when we got a playmaking TE back and producing.  It's not a coincidence.  We need a playmaking TE to complete the O, and that isn't James.  I'd rather go D here, but the impact of oft-injured Vance McDonald can't be denied.  Fellow Hawkeye TE Noah Fant was rated much higher and still available, but I watch a lot of Iowa and Hockenson is clearly the more productive and more consistent player.  The real highlights really start at about the 3:00 mark in the video.  You can see the jets, the hands, blocking, lining up in different areas, and the YAC that you don't get from James.  

56: R2P24 OLB BRIAN BURNS
FLORIDA STATE
I really can't say I care for any of the ILBs in this draft that I'm very familiar with, so I would go hard after someone like Deone Buchannon in FA instead of trying to draft one.  I watched some tape on this guy, and he looks like he has some serious upside.  He seems to be disciplined, solid wrap up tackler, long arms, and athletic.  That's my type of OLB.

87: R3P23 CB TRAYVON MULLEN
CLEMSON
I wanted a long, athletic CB here.  I almost went with the much smaller Sheffield in 1, along with the much slower Baker in 1.  But I chose to wait and get the guy with more upside here instead.  Looks like he has good athleticism, great ball skills, and ideal size.  

125: R4P24 WR/KR/ATH PARRIS CAMPBELL
OHIO STATE
I think he'd be a great fit with what the Steelers do and need.  They need a bonafide return man with game breaking speed.  They also need depth at WR.  They like to use bubble screens and end arounds a lot, and he would be fantastic at those type of plays.  Due to the crap QBs that Ohio State always has, not sure how he is at running routes and being a complete WR, but I do know that he's really good at a lot of what the Steelers could use him for.  (Trey Adams was still around, but I don't see him lasting that long in real life so I didn't take him anyway)

174: R6P1 WR TERRY GODWIN
GEORGIA
I think he's an absolute steal here.  I've seen him make some really good plays.  Great hands, a little slippery after the catch.  Only 5'11" 185.  A solid all around WR.  He really impressed me last year.  I was watching that Notre Dame game live last year when he made that catch that is early in this video.  He's just way too good to pass up in 6, even if WR will be a little crowded with Brown, JuJu, Washington, Switzer, Campbell and now Godwin.  Hunter and DHB are obviously goners.  

196: R6P23 DL ANTHONY NELSON
IOWA
This guy is a bit thin for a 34 DE, so he'd have to bulk up, but he's a really solid player.  6'7" 271.  He's a bit more of a pass rusher than the old school 5-techs the Steelers have utilized, but his body type is probably a bit like Keisel's, and obviously Heyward and Tuitt are utilized more as pass rushers than the DEs were in the past.  Albeit theirs is more of an interior bull rush type than what Nelson does.  Nelson just keeps improving every year.  Worth a flyer at this point.  

224: R7P8 S/LB CHASE HANSEN
UTAH
I'd actually put him at LB, which is where he was moved to for Utah this year.  6'3" 230 with ~4.6 speed.  He was 4th in the season with 14 TFL a couple weeks ago.  Losing Shazier made me a believer in bringing in some safety-type tweener ILBs for pass coverage and more range.  

Taking a TE in the first round is a terrible decision unless they are some kind of special talent, and Hockenson isnt special.    He body catches way too much and Im not overly impressed with his blocking.     He has upside, but I definitely wouldnt happy spending a first round pick on him.     2nd....maybe.  3rd would be ideal, but he would probably be gone by that.

Dont really have a major problem with the positions outside of that, but doubtful we take two WRs.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 26: Baker, Deandre, CB, Georgia (B+)
Round 3 Pick 1 (OAK): Winovich, Chase, DE, Michigan (A-)
Round 3 Pick 25: Edwards, TJ, ILB, Wisconsin (A+)
Round 4 Pick 2 (OAK): Oruwariye, Amani, CB, Penn State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26: Thompson, Jalen, FS, Washington State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 26 (OAK): Van Ginkel, Andrew, OLB, Wisconsin (A)
Round 6 Pick 2: Montgomery, David, RB, Iowa State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 25: Lindstrom, Chris, OG, Boston College (B+)
Round 7 Pick 13: Keizer, Nick, TE, Grand Valley State (A)

I was very disappointed in my choices for ILB.  Could not pass up Baker in the 1st

22 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Taking a TE in the first round is a terrible decision unless they are some kind of special talent, and Hockenson isnt special.    He body catches way too much and Im not overly impressed with his blocking.     He has upside, but I definitely wouldnt happy spending a first round pick on him.     2nd....maybe.  3rd would be ideal, but he would probably be gone by that.

Dont really have a major problem with the positions outside of that, but doubtful we take two WRs.

Well, as far as this goes, Hockenson was projected at 62 and Burns at 63, so flip them around if it makes you feel better.  I disagree on Hockenson though.  I watch almost every Iowa game.  He's good.  A hell of a lot better than James.  Not quite the beast that McDonald is after the catch, but he has some major speed and is a baller.  As I said in the writeup though, this O obviously relies on the TE to make plays.  McDonald is too injury prone to rely on.  James isn't dynamic enough.  So I actually think that TE is potentially a top need.  I'd greatly prefer to load up the D, but I can't ignore the impact McDonald has had on the O.  When he came back is when the O started to roll.  

As for 2 WRs, I had no intention of taking 2, but if Terry Godwin is around in 6, I'm never going to pass up on that.  That's especially so when the only other WR I took was more of a KR/bubble screen/end around type guy that was only taken in 5.

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 26: Baker, Deandre, CB, Georgia (B+)
Round 3 Pick 1 (OAK): Winovich, Chase, DE, Michigan (A-)
Round 3 Pick 25: Edwards, TJ, ILB, Wisconsin (A+)
Round 4 Pick 2 (OAK): Oruwariye, Amani, CB, Penn State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26: Thompson, Jalen, FS, Washington State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 26 (OAK): Van Ginkel, Andrew, OLB, Wisconsin (A)
Round 6 Pick 25: Lindstrom, Chris, OG, Boston College (B+)
Round 7 Pick 13: Keizer, Nick, TE, Grand Valley State (A)

I was very disappointed in my choices for ILB.  Could not pass up Baker in the 1st

This is NOT a good ILB draft from what I've seen.  You notice I didn't take any until 7, and then it was a converted safety.  I'd look to FA for my Deonne Buchannon type ILB with more speed and range.  

You do have a pretty good draft aside from burning that 3rd on Edwards.  Lots of guys I considered, or actually took in a draft from that site too.  This is one I did yesterday with lots of trade backs:

Your score is: 27760 (GRADE: A)   

Your Picks:  
Round 2 Pick 5 (ARI): Sweat, Montez, DE, Mississippi State (A)
Round 2 Pick 26: Oruwariye, Amani, CB, Penn State (B+)
Round 3 Pick 4 (ARI): Lock, Drew, QB, Missouri (A+)  
Round 3 Pick 7 (DEN): Fuller, Jordan, FS, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 10 (N.E.): Sills V, David, WR, West Virginia (A)
Round 3 Pick 25: Risner, Dalton, C, Kansas State (A+)  
Round 4 Pick 12 (JAX): Deiter, Michael, OT, Wisconsin (A+)
Round 5 Pick 8 (DEN): Hester, Kiy, CB, Rutgers (A)  
Round 5 Pick 20 (MIA): Van Ginkel, Andrew, OLB, Wisconsin (A)
Round 6 Pick 9 (IND): Hansen, Chase, SS, Utah (A+)  
Round 6 Pick 25: Blankenship, Rodrigo, K, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 1 (DEN): Sinor, Zach, P, Oklahoma State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 6 (MIA): Mone, Bryan, DT, Michigan (A+)  
Round 7 Pick 13: Godwin, Terry, WR, Georgia (A)  

Archived