Jordy Nelson announces retirement

riceman80

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The Raiders started the season with Amari Cooper, Jordy Nelson and Martavis Bryant, and were anticipated to be one of the better, if not the best, WR corps in the league.

Now?    

Amari Cooper = traded
Jordy Nelson = retired
Martavis Bryant = Probably going to IR, and not that good anyway

Raiders fans have to be sick.

No, after trading Mack everything has just been numb.  Since then nothing shocks or surprises me.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Um.....we do realize the original source has retracted the news?

Theyre retracting imo cuz they dont wanna be outed for people finding out who leaked the news. Vic Tafur, who's very close to the team, has all but stated it's Nelson. It's just a reporter trying to keep from looking untrustworthy to the team.

Plus if Jordy wasn't retiring, you'd think him or someone in the Raiders would deny the report.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

And what better person to do it than Gruden who's proven he has no clue how to operate as a GM. Doesn't have an eye for talent and shown no actual skill in developing players.

Hey I'm not the owner. I didn't hire him. I'm not going to damn him before he even starts. If he fails and is terrible, I will call him out. It's far too early to do that though.

I would hope they would let him go, but who knows.. I can see it either way, He was kicking around retirement after the Packers offer anyways. He was one of my favs, and I would take him back in a heart beat, but I just don't see it happening.  It would be a nice gift from the NFL who seems to like mess with us this season.

11 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

What a shame. My favorite WR from the '08 draft has retired already? Gruden is coaching/creating a train wreck. And it's a 10 year, guaranteed train wreck! :$

Not necessarily.  You have to give him time to put together a roster he thinks will work best for his scheme.  There may be a couple of rough seasons, but I think he will at least be able to make them competitive given a little more time.  

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Not necessarily.  You have to give him time to put together a roster he thinks will work best for his scheme.  There may be a couple of rough seasons, but I think he will at least be able to make them competitive given a little more time.  

Shh. Gruden is an idiot. The contract is already a disaster. He just sucks as a coach and has no idea what he's doing. Silly him. It's too bad that Cooper and Mack are gone. We were dominating last year with them so I have no idea why we need to rebuild. Especially because so many of our drafted players from 2015-17 are starting for us rn. 

First off, I think it was kinda crappy for Gruden and co. to waste the man's time, knowing they were ultimately going to tear it all apart.  Considering all that's transpired, bringing in Jordy made absolutely no sense.  I was however excited to see Carr and Jordy make some noise, but that deal just hasn't materialized for whatever reason.

Honestly, I don't think he'll retire retire.  He's probably just trying to get out of a bad situation.  The Raiders should do the right thing and cut him loose so he can latch on with another team, and hopefully salvage what appears to be another lost season...

19 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Enjoy retirement, Jordy. Unfortunate ending to his career.

Do you guys think he makes it on the first ballot, or is he one of those guys who don't get in? He did play for one of the more recognizable franchises, but he can't get away with more mediocre numbers at a place like Pittsburgh for example.

If he hangs it up right now, I really don't see him getting in the Hall.  The bulk stats just aren't quite there (88th all-time in rec yards; 38th all-time rec TDs).  Now he accumulated about 75% of his career stats across a 4-5 year stretch, which is incredible, and remember, he was grossly underutilized during his first 3-4 years in the league, so he could possibly get some outside consideration, but in all honesty, it'd be a longshot. 

Archived