Jump to content
Brit Pack

2019 Free Agent Discussion

Recommended Posts

Gute said the Packers want to be active in free agency and they got some money to blow. Who do you reckon they want to keep from their own list of UFAs and which impending free agents from other teams (if they don't get re-signed) would you like them to target?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

I'll start it. 

1.) Jadaveon Clowney 

 

 

+

S

Earl Thomas
Landon Collins
Lamarcus Joyner
Kareem Jackson
Tyrann Mathieu

EDGE/LB

Dante Fowler
Anthony Barr
Frank Clark (no thanks)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take Barrett at OLB from the Broncos.  Get him for 3 years, $20M and that would allow him to hit free agency again before being too old and it will allow him the chance to be a big time contributor off of the edge.  Now GB gets a little flexibility in the draft.

If GB wants a splash player, Demarcus Lawrence gets my vote.  More of a DE than true 3-4 EDGE, but he's a tough, physical player who gets to the QB.  Gonna be really pricey, though.

I'd look at ILBs...Kwon Alexander, Denzel Perryman and CJ Mosely.  I think Alexander and Perryman have been injured, so I like them on prove it deals.  CJ is gonna cost coin.

I'd look at Matthieu at SS, Boston are FS.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Was hoping for a nice list to peruse ;)

That would be too easy and too long. But here is a link:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/

Players I would want to retain: Mo Wilk, Breeland, Matthews and Cobb (all on the premise of cheapish contracts nothing over $5m a season)

Names I like on defence:

K.J Wright, Shaq Barrett, Za'Darius Smith, Jordan Hicks, Kwon Alexander, Sheldon Richardson, Brandon Copeland

Top target: Earl Thomas

Offence:

Bring back Jared Cook.

To be honest nothing in the 2019 free agent list is that juicy, Lawrence and Cloney are the big names but I'm not crazy about either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Safety class is deep.  Make one of them our premier FA signing and then call it a successful free agency period. 

Other positions will get overpaid.  Too much money and too much time. 

Repeat the pattern at IOL.  Sign an old guard for a year as a backup to the promise we already have at the position. 

Go into the draft needing only EDGE, maybe RT of future.  Gives us the opportunity to target EDGE, but then take BPA with our second first round pick and either double up on EDGE, or get stronger at an already strong position. 

Don't want to touch any of the pass rushers.  That list is comprised of four types:

1. Bad person
2. Good player that will get paid like an all-time great player
3. Did nothing their entire career until it was time to get paid
4. Probably can help and be affordable, but will be available once the dust settles in free agency

Unless we get the Chris Long type post-free agency pass rusher, I'm not touching that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Safety class is deep.  Make one of them our premier FA signing and then call it a successful free agency period. 

Other positions will get overpaid.  Too much money and too much time. 

Repeat the pattern at IOL.  Sign an old guard for a year as a backup to the promise we already have at the position. 

Go into the draft needing only EDGE, maybe RT of future.  Gives us the opportunity to target EDGE, but then take BPA with our second first round pick and either double up on EDGE, or get stronger at an already strong position. 

Don't want to touch any of the pass rushers.  That list is comprised of four types:

1. Bad person
2. Good player that will get paid like an all-time great player
3. Did nothing their entire career until it was time to get paid
4. Probably can help and be affordable, but will be available once the dust settles in free agency

Unless we get the Chris Long type post-free agency pass rusher, I'm not touching that. 

So you're betting everything next year on a year older Clay and Perry, Fackrell, Gilbert and a rookie?

Hell. No.

Overpay the crap out of a bad person, who is a good player getting paid like he's great, and done nothing in his entire career until it's time to get paid before I endure another season of this.

We have money, we can survive a FA contract that turns sour.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Packerraymond said:

So you're betting everything next year on a year older Clay and Perry, Fackrell, Gilbert and a rookie?

Hell. No.

Overpay the crap out of a bad person, who is a good player getting paid like he's great, and done nothing in his entire career until it's time to get paid before I endure another season of this.

We have money, we can survive a FA contract that turns sour.

 

Personally, I'd rather continue relying on pressure packages and those trying to prove themselves than overpaying for a person who plays only to not get arrested for thievery. 

Overpaying for a pass rusher is the quickest way to KEEP the same effect as Perry/Matthews. 

Nick Perry is the exact reason I don't want to overpay for a pass rusher.  And Olivier Vernon.  Look at all the free agent pass rusher signings in free agency since White.  Then look at all the bargain free agent pass rushers who waited a bit.  You've got guys like Peppers and Trent Murphy and all sorts of value in the ones who waited.  Not so much out of those BREAKING NEWS headline pass rushers. 

Don't want Perry/Matthews/Gilbert/Fackrell/Rookie next year. 

Want Perry/Bargain/Rookie/Gilbert/Fackrell.  With Clay inside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

That would be too easy and too long. But here is a link:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/

Players I would want to retain: Mo Wilk, Breeland, Matthews and Cobb (all on the premise of cheapish contracts nothing over $5m a season)

Names I like on defence:

K.J Wright, Shaq Barrett, Za'Darius Smith, Jordan Hicks, Kwon Alexander, Sheldon Richardson, Brandon Copeland

Top target: Earl Thomas

Offence:

Bring back Jared Cook.

To be honest nothing in the 2019 free agent list is that juicy, Lawrence and Cloney are the big names but I'm not crazy about either.

 

Time to move on from Cobb. He never had great straight line speed, and now his quickness seems to be gone. We have a raft of WRs to build on, Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, Kumerow, and yes, maybe even Moore if he can grow a pair of hands.

Not sure about Wilkerson's ankle. IF it's 100%, then bring him back, but that's a big IF. 

I like Earl Thomas, but we have 8 games to see if we need a S. I'm VERY curious to see how that plays out. 

I still think we need a veteran QB behind Rodgers. Not sold on #9 AT ALL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I like Earl Thomas, but we have 8 games to see if we need a S. I'm VERY curious to see how that plays out. 

We need a Safety even if it works out.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Time to move on from Cobb. He never had great straight line speed, and now his quickness seems to be gone. We have a raft of WRs to build on, Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, Kumerow, and yes, maybe even Moore if he can grow a pair of hands.

Not sure about Wilkerson's ankle. IF it's 100%, then bring him back, but that's a big IF. 

I like Earl Thomas, but we have 8 games to see if we need a S. I'm VERY curious to see how that plays out. 

I still think we need a veteran QB behind Rodgers. Not sold on #9 AT ALL.  

I’m fine with moving on from Cobb due to the performance/development of the rookies but I’m not sure where this rumor/logic came from we should move on from him bc he’s not/never was fast and why that means we should move on from him? He tested faster than Adams and Jordy and on par with Jennings for example. It’s not like he hasn’t shown his speed on the feild either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Safety class is deep.  Make one of them our premier FA signing and then call it a successful free agency period. 

Other positions will get overpaid.  Too much money and too much time. 

Repeat the pattern at IOL.  Sign an old guard for a year as a backup to the promise we already have at the position. 

Go into the draft needing only EDGE, maybe RT of future.  Gives us the opportunity to target EDGE, but then take BPA with our second first round pick and either double up on EDGE, or get stronger at an already strong position. 

Don't want to touch any of the pass rushers.  That list is comprised of four types:

1. Bad person
2. Good player that will get paid like an all-time great player
3. Did nothing their entire career until it was time to get paid
4. Probably can help and be affordable, but will be available once the dust settles in free agency

Unless we get the Chris Long type post-free agency pass rusher, I'm not touching that. 

And GB already has number 3 in Nick Perry. He needs to perpetually be in contract years to produce consistently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kepler said:

And GB already has number 3 in Nick Perry. He needs to perpetually be in contract years to produce consistently.

That's not accurate. He played well before the season that led to his big payday, but was just never healthy for a long period of time. I'm not sure what the deal is this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×