2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Just now, Stevein2012 said:

What is he good at?  He runs crap routes, doesn't get good separation, is tall yet not good at making contested catches, there's no indication he's a good guy to have in the locker room, doesn't seem like a hard worker.  He got 1000 yards once on 146 targets lol.  I see more value in giving snaps to the young guys we have than holding out hope for a 5th round compensatory pick.

Who needs 4th-5th round compensatory picks?  I think we should just cut all of our compensatory picks. 

Cut Martinez.  Cut Lowry.  Cut Aaron Jones.  Compensatory picks are pointless. 

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Who needs 4th-5th round compensatory picks?  I think we should just cut all of our compensatory picks. 

Cut Martinez.  Cut Lowry.  Cut Aaron Jones.  Compensatory picks are pointless. 

You don't just get a compensatory pick, that's your best case scenario in a situation where we'd probably have to sign 0 FAs in an offseason where we have something like 40m in cap space.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chinaski_86 said:

Hmmm, the Associate Head Coach, as of 5 days ago, says EVERYBODY at 1265 "got a little comfortable" putting everything on Rodgers' plate.

His statement does not come across as criticism of #12.

It does lend credence to those contending complacency infected the organization and those in charge failed to keep up their end of the bargain.

• Like 2

Just now, Stevein2012 said:

You don't just get a compensatory pick, that's your best case scenario in a situation where we'd probably have to sign 0 FAs in an offseason where we have something like 40m in cap space.

True, but there's also the other angle of getting an audition from a receiver when receiver is probably a position we're signing in free agency anyway. 

I'm not upset over Benjamin, I'm upset about our refusal to take any chances on outside players when it's virtually risk free. 

This is literally what everyone complained about with Thompson, and that in reference to 10-15 million dollar free agents, but you've got a risk free flyer on a waiver claim at a position we're going to be looking into during free agency and you don't pull the trigger because... Why? 

• Like 2

Food for thought- would you consider trading 2019 2nd and 2020 3rd for AJ Green?

Will be 31 next year and has been ending last two seasons on IR. If I was the Packers GM I would do it but the move is very short sighted. Allows the receivers time to develop plus gives us a solid player even on the decline. Bengals get something before a free agent.

Thoughts on the player and trade value? 

2 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

Food for thought- would you consider trading 2019 2nd and 2020 3rd for AJ Green?

Will be 31 next year and has been ending last two seasons on IR. If I was the Packers GM I would do it but the move is very short sighted. Allows the receivers time to develop plus gives us a solid player even on the decline. Bengals get something before a free agent.

Thoughts on the player and trade value? 

No. That is a lot for a declining injured receiver.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moretti19 said:

No. That is a lot for a declining injured receiver.

Would you consider a 2nd? Just feel that getting a young receiver doesn’t really help us next year. Rodgers needs a player that has experience and that he can rely on. AJ Green even with the injuries had a solid season. 

6 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

Would you consider a 2nd? Just feel that getting a young receiver doesn’t really help us next year. Rodgers needs a player that has experience and that he can rely on. AJ Green even with the injuries had a solid season. 

I would not, we have a lot more pressing needs and a second pick is a impact pick. Not saying Green wouldn’t be impressive here I just think there are other needs.

• Like 1

This kid has had some problems with substance abuse and he's injured right now, but when he plays, oh boy. 

David Irving could be the best pass rusher to hit the market this off season. The substance abuse scares me, but he can get after the QB. He'd be great depth on our defensive line too. 

https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/players-roster/david-irving/career

Would really like to find a way to get Billy Turner from Denver into green bay. He's got experience across the entire offensive line, but has really settled in at guard. Took a small offer this past winter since most of 2017 was lost to a broken hand, so he shouldn't be terribly expensive. At 26 years old, he's got the right blend of experience while still having his best ball to be played ahead of him. Add him, and the line isn't an early round need anymore. Can't see his contract going much beyond the 6-7 million per year threshold 

On 12/5/2018 at 10:51 AM, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, we should really use our ability to claim these players as an advantage considering how rarely it happens.  Getting Benjamin now is a good move that we will not do, and just like people celebrated the demotion of Thompson, I'm afraid similar similarities will occur between McCarthy and the next poor bastard who has to temper Aaron's ego. 

There's no reason why we shouldn't be claiming some of these cut players.  Gute is Thompson. 

Do you want to claim Benjamin to fill one of the O-line positions due to the shallow depth there now or what?

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, LuckyIrish23 said:

Maybe a conditional 4th or 5th round pick, age and injuries is my reason.