2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, Golfman said:

This kid has had some problems with substance abuse and he's injured right now, but when he plays, oh boy. 

David Irving could be the best pass rusher to hit the market this off season. The substance abuse scares me, but he can get after the QB. He'd be great depth on our defensive line too. 

https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/players-roster/david-irving/career

I have to say I've really been a fan of the Dallas roster, they've drafted well these past few years and amassed some good talent on defense I covet. I would love Irving but I know Gute has zero patience for problem players by the way he's shown the ones on this team the door this season.

On 12/14/2018 at 8:11 PM, Golfman said:

This kid has had some problems with substance abuse and he's injured right now, but when he plays, oh boy. 

David Irving could be the best pass rusher to hit the market this off season. The substance abuse scares me, but he can get after the QB. He'd be great depth on our defensive line too. 

https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/players-roster/david-irving/career

On 12/15/2018 at 8:59 PM, St Vince said:

I have to say I've really been a fan of the Dallas roster, they've drafted well these past few years and amassed some good talent on defense I covet. I would love Irving but I know Gute has zero patience for problem players by the way he's shown the ones on this team the door this season.

I too enjoy watching the Cowboys play defense...just to see some of these guys they acquired.  PackerRaymond was all over LVE...as others were as well.  I like Smith, and rooted for him to make it back from that injury.

Always been a fan of Demarcus Lawrence and when watching him, Irving jumps off of the page, too.

I'd like Gute to "kick those tires", but it comes down to the contract, doesn't it?  I don't know that anyone is going to risk much on a player like him with his issues.  But...if he were to take a prove it deal, I hope that Gute gets in on that race.

But if there is a high guaranteed portion, that is one to back away from.  

Irving will be an interesting player to watch in free agency.

• 3 weeks later...

Really think we need to be serious about bringing G. Tate on board to fill the slot to replace Cobb. Dream scenario, Tate, Thomas, and Flowers, hopefully we can afford it, would free up draft capital for BPA for first three picks and a quick turnaround to the playoffs and SB.

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Who is going to come up with a list of every free agent MLF has worked with? :)

Not me, I just want Quinten Spain from the Titans to satisfy the guard in round one craze that we'll have to suffer through thanks to Nelson Fever.

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I kinda want Massie from CHI

And slide Bulaga inside? Might be more costly than getting a FA guard. I like Garland from ATL. Don't think he'll cost an ton and he was solid this year. Leave Bulaga at T another year and then probably let him walk when his deal is up. 

For me I want us to get a variety of mid priced signings rather than the 'big names' 

ILB needs some upgrading we are one injury away from having diddly squat there:
Jordan Hicks
Kwom Alexander
One name that I really like is Patrick Onwuasor he is an RFA from the Ravens. He is on the rise and a beast if we could get him it would be insane

OLBs an obvious need lots of mid level names we could get after:
Za' Darius Smith
KJ Wright
Markus Golden
Aaron Lynch
Shaquil Barrett

Safety is another massive need again mid level signings here:
Anthony Harris from the Vikes
Adrian Amos from the Bears
Brain Poole
Tre Boston

Some names to throw out on the offence side of things:
Breshan Perriman from the Browns
John Brown from the Ravens
Tyrell Williams LAC
Devin Funchess
Jermaine Kearse

CJ Uzomah TE from Cinci did alright last season
Jay Ajayi for a slightly bigger back who has done alright in the past

Get around 5 or 6 free agents from this lot, mainly from the Ravens, at reasonable deals coupled with a good draft and that should push us forward considerably.

Edited by Brit Pack

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

For me I want us to get a variety of mid priced signings rather than the 'big names' 

ILB needs some upgrading we are one injury away from having diddly squat there:
Jordan Hicks
Kwom Alexander
One name that I really like is Patrick Onwuasor he is an RFA from the Ravens. He is on the rise and a beast if we could get him it would be insane

OLBs an obvious need lots of mid level names we could get after:
Za' Darius Smith
KJ Wright
Markus Golden
Aaron Lynch
Shaquil Barrett

Safety is another massive need again mid level signings here:
Anthony Harris from the Vikes
Adrian Amos from the Bears
Brain Poole
Tre Boston

Some names to throw out on the offence side of things:
Breshan Perriman from the Browns
John Brown from the Ravens
Tyrell Williams LAC
Devin Funchess
Jermaine Kearse

CJ Uzomah TE from Cinci did alright last season
Jay Ajayi for a slightly bigger back who has done alright in the past

Get around 5 or 6 free agents from this lot, mainly from the Ravens, at reasonable deals coupled with a good draft and that should push us forward considerably.

Don't know if we need 5 or 6 mid level agents with the draft capital we have.  I do agree we need some help in free agency;  3-4 free agents with 1 or 2 being high quality players as this team is lacking in  top notch talent . 

8 hours ago, packfanfb said:

And slide Bulaga inside? Might be more costly than getting a FA guard. I like Garland from ATL. Don't think he'll cost an ton and he was solid this year. Leave Bulaga at T another year and then probably let him walk when his deal is up. 

Massie is way more of a guard than Bulaga

Looks like the new coach loves to run the ball. I'm not high on Williams as a lot of people. Outside of the Bears and Falcons game he hasn't been that impressive. Jones is good but not durable enough to handle that workload. Think we need to bring in a back through FA.  Bell is too expensive, I know to Jags want to rid themselves of some problem players, i would love Leonard Fournette. He's in their doghouse and probably could be had for a 3rd or both 4ths. He's still on his rookie deal and a beast when healthy, he brings physically like Henry. Jones, Fournette and Williams would be a solid backfield.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Don't know if we need 5 or 6 mid level agents with the draft capital we have.  I do agree we need some help in free agency;  3-4 free agents with 1 or 2 being high quality players as this team is lacking in  top notch talent . 

Even if we went bare bones, 1 x ILB, 1 x OLB, 1 x Safety, 1 x TE, 1 x OL we are already at 5. The case could be made we need two edge guys from FA especially if we dump Perry and his inflated contract, and I wouldn't be against bringing in two FA safties either.

I personally don't think the top free agent talent is worth it. Too much risk. I would prefer lots of mid level talent so that we are less relying on UDFA's.