2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

High end FA versus mid tier guys....  Gute went after high end guys last year.  I expect more of the same this year.  I think he will be "in" on a lot of guys...whether or not they come is a different story.

just hope he doesnt have to overpay a ton just to get dudes to come to Green Bay.

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

High end FA versus mid tier guys....  Gute went after high end guys last year.  I expect more of the same this year.  I think he will be "in" on a lot of guys...whether or not they come is a different story.

8 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

just hope he doesnt have to overpay a ton just to get dudes to come to Green Bay.

'Tis the nature of free agency.  If you want a top end guy, you need to overpay.  It isn't just GB...it is everywhere.

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you didn't make.  Trumaine Johnson comes to mind.  Robinson at WR....  etc.

I'm just relieved that Gute isn't afraid to get in on the conversation.

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

'Tis the nature of free agency.  If you want a top end guy, you need to overpay.  It isn't just GB...it is everywhere.

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you didn't make.  Trumaine Johnson comes to mind.  Robinson at WR....  etc.

I'm just relieved that Gute isn't afraid to get in on the conversation.

That' exactly why I prefer mid priced free agents to fill out a roster as the Pats do it and get your stars from what you draft and develop. To go out hunting for top targets I feel is just too risky. You over pay to get them and then you don't know if they will work out or are motivated to perform. 

13 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

That' exactly why I prefer mid priced free agents to fill out a roster as the Pats do it and get your stars from what you draft and develop. To go out hunting for top targets I feel is just too risky. You over pay to get them and then you don't know if they will work out or are motivated to perform. 

The Pats can do that because of their division.

AFC east.  Patriots, Dolphins, Bills, Jets.  Not too hard to get through that schedule.  It is just different for them.

Even that given...Gilmore was a top free agent and helps them a ton.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The Pats can do that because of their division.

AFC east.  Patriots, Dolphins, Bills, Jets.  Not too hard to get through that schedule.  It is just different for them.

Even that given...Gilmore was a top free agent and helps them a ton.

That might get them through their division but they also win championships.

We rely too heavily on UDFA's we need more quality depth to our team to fill particular roles and build around the stars that you draft rather than trying to acquire those stars through free agency, cos when they don't work out they hurt you bad.

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

That might get them through their division but they also win championships.

We rely too heavily on UDFA's we need more quality depth to our team to fill particular roles and build around the stars that you draft rather than trying to acquire those stars through free agency, cos when they don't work out they hurt you bad.

Patriots have a great QB on a friendly deal and make wise player moves.  It helps when your division is that week and you can rest up and still get a bye.  It is just different for them.  Would be for us too if our division was that bad for that long.

Mid level guys burn you too, though.  Bell was terrible when he played.  Mid level free agent.

Our UDFA's come through this year...Tony Brown...Lancaster.  Nice additions.

With the picks that GB has...finding depth and developmental talent shouldn't be that tough.  

What they need is to hit one big free agent and two mid tier guys to round out that roster so we aren't forced to play young kids too early.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What they need is to hit one big free agent and two mid tier guys to round out that roster so we aren't forced to play young kids too early.

For real you think Pats cruise through a season that they don't play 8 other teams outside of their division during a season? Or that they have their feet up till after the bye week. That should be true then for the Seahwak as well for up to last couple of years they had the hapless Rams, Cards and Niners. 

I would hardly class Bell as a mid tier free agent. From a cost and quality perspective he was bottom of the barrel. Signings like Mo Wilk is more what I had in mind.

You tell me you would prefer UDFA Kentrell Brice over a mid level free agent like Tre Boston? Or having Reggie Gilbert compared to an Aaron Lynch.

I don't mind some UDFA's but our roster has a much higher reliance on them than most teams. I haven't run the numbers for 2018 but in 2017, 15 out our 53 man roster were UDFA's: Josh Hawkins, Marwin Evans, Geronimo Allison, Lenzy Pipkins, Justin Vogel, Lucas Patrick, Adam Pankey, Kentrell Brice, Donatello Brown, Michael Clark, Joe Callahan, David Talley, Reggie Gilbert, Herb Waters, Taybor Pepper. Compare that to other teams in 2017, Atlanta had 4 UDFA's on their 53, Pittsburg had 3, Philly had 8 as did New England.

That's why I feel I think we have more holes to fill than three players in free agency and the draft will cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

For real you think Pats cruise through a season that they don't play 8 other teams outside of their division during a season? Or that they have their feet up till after the bye week. That should be true then for the Seahwak as well for up to last couple of years they had the hapless Rams, Cards and Niners. 

I would hardly class Bell as a mid tier free agent. From a cost and quality perspective he was bottom of the barrel. Signings like Mo Wilk is more what I had in mind.

You tell me you would prefer UDFA Kentrell Brice over a mid level free agent like Tre Boston? Or having Reggie Gilbert compared to an Aaron Lynch.

I don't mind some UDFA's but our roster has a much higher reliance on them than most teams. I haven't run the numbers for 2018 but in 2017, 15 out our 53 man roster were UDFA's: Josh Hawkins, Marwin Evans, Geronimo Allison, Lenzy Pipkins, Justin Vogel, Lucas Patrick, Adam Pankey, Kentrell Brice, Donatello Brown, Michael Clark, Joe Callahan, David Talley, Reggie Gilbert, Herb Waters, Taybor Pepper. Compare that to other teams in 2017, Atlanta had 4 UDFA's on their 53, Pittsburg had 3, Philly had 8 as did New England.

That's why I feel I think we have more holes to fill than three players in free agency and the draft will cover.

Great post above...I gave you a "like"!

About the Pats...told yah, they are an outlier.  I think that they whip up on the division, can go .500 with the rest of their schedule and get a bye.  Most every year.  They can sit guys who aren't 100% ready to go and still beat the Jets, Bills and 'Fins.  They can get healthier than most teams because of that weak division.

About the mid levels...  I think Bell was mid-level, but he was a guard.  You pay more for a pass rusher, so the contract for the "mid levels" will vary depending on position.  If you sign a guard for $5M, he'd better be a good starter, not a rotational reserve.  BTW....I hated Wilkerson (the player), thought Gute did a great job of sticking to his offer and getting him to GB on that deal, though.  I'd like him to do it again with him.  That was a low risk, high upside free agent.  Those are awesome "gets".

Boston>Brice.  No doubt about it.  Boston, though, has started so many games compared to Brice.  Very much want a veteran free safety back there.  I do not want Brice seeing the field, but GB seems to like him, so I doubt I get that wish.

I personally like Lynch better than Gilbert.  For the money each will command this year, though....now I waver some.

I think you are looking at rosters compiled under TT versus Gute for that UDFA stuff.  TT loved those guys.  I think Gute likes them...not sure about love, but you can't deny that Lancaster and Brown proved to be wise UDFA pickups.  Then of course there are the Tramon Williams and Sam Shields of the world.

Then there is this...Pipkens got us a run stopping MLB that proved useful.  G-MO was off to a great start, even though I didn't personally like him.  Kid produced.  And I'm a big fan of Lucas Patrick.

You give me 3 free agents, one top tier, two mid-tier, then our what 9 draft picks?  I think they can re-shape a lot of things.  That and there is always this...if Rodgers bounces back, GB becomes a force to reckon with again.

Then again...I could just be a really good mood and seeing things with Green and Gold glasses.  Been known to happen.  I feel good about what can be done this off-season.

13 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Since 2011, one of the 49ers, Cardinals or Rams has been in the playoffs every year except 2016. 

Everything else in your post I agree with.

where are folks at on Trey Flowers?

Feels like he was raised in the right scheme (NE) to succeed here in that he can focus on setting the edge and still get to the passer when called upon.  Probably gonna be a really highly paid player, but it could give us a lot of flexibility heading into the draft.

He's just on the edge of that top tier rusher, but might get paid like one.

28 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

where are folks at on Trey Flowers?

Feels like he was raised in the right scheme (NE) to succeed here in that he can focus on setting the edge and still get to the passer when called upon.  Probably gonna be a really highly paid player, but it could give us a lot of flexibility heading into the draft.

He's just on the edge of that top tier rusher, but might get paid like one.

He's my #1 offseason dream sign. Earl Thomas is #2. Rodger Saffold is #3.

Flowers over CMIII would be a good transition scheme wise.  Patriots use flowers in a number of ways including as a sub DT in their pressure schemes.

49 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He's my #1 offseason dream sign. Earl Thomas is #2. Rodger Saffold is #3.

Getting a DE of this caliber makes sense, but I think a team who runs a pure 4-3 and wants him to rush every down might be willing to pay a bit more for him than others.