2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

11 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

The Packers now have... exactly zero significant holes on the roster. And they have an extra 1.

Let's check ourselves a little bit here. The Broncos offensive line was a dumpster fire last year. Not sure this guy is the second coming of TJ Lang just yet. Not even sure he's going to start for us either. 

• Like 1

I still think they should look to upgrade the edge in the draft, without forcing a selection though. The Smith’s are nice, but one is inconsistent and one came through in a contract year. A rookie to bring in situationally like Brian Burns would be great who could eventually take over should either bust. Or someone along the line who can rush the passer and step in should Daniels or Clark get injured again. The only position I hope they don’t address in round 1 is receiver. It’s a pretty deep class and I hope they look to set up the defense with more talent and depth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Once again, pay more early on so you don't put yourself in cap hell down the road.  I am really enjoying how these contracts have been structured.

I'd wait to see the actual structure.  That likely includes the signing bonuses too...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Let's check ourselves a little bit here. The Broncos offensive line was a dumpster fire last year. Not sure this guy is the second coming of TJ Lang just yet. Not even sure he's going to start for us either. 

Nah, you don't sign a backup to a contract like that. He's 100% our starting RG.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Once again, pay more early on so you don't put yourself in cap hell down the road.  I am really enjoying how these contracts have been structured.

pretty sure 11M in year one means SB plus first year salary.  so the SB will be on the future year cap.

This contract is actually weighted toward the back end, and should have dead cap money if we were to move on later on.

• Like 2

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'd wait to see the actual structure.  That likely includes the signing bonuses too...

Yes, but 21 of Amos' 37 mil is in the first two years.  Preston only has 16 mil guaranteed.  Turner is paid early.  

There could be more to it, but the early numbers certainly suggest a pattern that I personally like. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

The Packers didn't just pay Turner $7M/year to be a backup.  He's our starting RG.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Devin White at ILB would create a interior pass rush.  If he's the best play available at 12, take him.

If he’s the BPA trade back and let someone else have him. Blitzing your ILB isn’t inside pressure sorry. Collapsing the pocket is what we also require. The edge players we just picked up allow us to likley blitz less and get pressure with our front. A good IDL is on my draft list. And there are a few. Heck I could see a double dip now. 

• Like 1