Jump to content
Brit Pack

2019 Free Agent Discussion

Recommended Posts

This is tough for me to admit, but Anthony Barr.  It has some kind of poetic justice to it.  Definitely Pettine's kind of tool.

Time for the Traitor Street to run the other way. It also opens up the draft completely.

Edited by Dubz41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

This is tough for me to admit, but Anthony Barr.  It has some kind of poetic justice to it.  Definitely Pettine's kind of tool.

Time for the Traitor Street to run the other way. It also opens up the draft completely.

Anthony Barr will not provide an edge rush though.  He has a whopping 10.5 sacks in 4 1/2 seasons. He has 0 sacks this year.  Fackrell has 9 sacks in 2 1/2 seasons and people think he's the worst OLB in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

That's not accurate. He played well before the season that led to his big payday, but was just never healthy for a long period of time. I'm not sure what the deal is this year.

His best year by far was his contract year. He had 11 sacks. He may have played decently previously but never to his potential, and not nearly as productive as in his contract year. I believe he's one of those guys and am calling him out as such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

This is tough for me to admit, but Anthony Barr.  It has some kind of poetic justice to it.  Definitely Pettine's kind of tool.

Time for the Traitor Street to run the other way. It also opens up the draft completely.

Exactly the word I would use for Barr. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Anthony Barr will not provide an edge rush though.  He has a whopping 10.5 sacks in 4 1/2 seasons. He has 0 sacks this year.  Fackrell has 9 sacks in 2 1/2 seasons and people think he's the worst OLB in the league.

Do you watch many Vikings games? Anthony Barr is misused so much in that defense its hard to watch. He drops back in coverage more times than rushes the quarterback it seems. When he does rush the qb hes blitzing, not coming off the edge. As much as it hurts me to say, I agree in bringing in Barr. I said it when he was drafted, he needs to be an edge 3-4 just like he was in college.

Edited by MaryTsraining3s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Packers are more likely to sign veteran free agents who get cut for one reason or another.  The few top defensive free agents will be too costly for the value.

We need to add some depth and competition through free agency but the draft is king.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Do you watch many Vikings games? Anthony Barr is misused so much in that defense its hard to watch. He drops back in coverage more times than rushes the quarterback it seems. When he does rush the qb hes blitzing, not coming off the edge. As much as it hurts me to say, I agree in bringing in Barr. I said it when he was drafted, he needs to be an edge 3-4. 

I am hoping this drops his value on the open market a bit. That Rams game he was roasted in coverage a few times, hopefully that narrative follows him and we can get him on a reasonable deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Demarcus Lawrence would be great.  I am buying the idea that a true EDGE is overrated in the era of quick passes.  But a guy who would bring the ability to show different looks on the line is where it's at.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bad blood between Rodgers and Barr, and probably other players on the Packers, makes me think this might not work.  I can't think off the top of my head the last time GB signed a FA or made a trade for a player who was formerly a hated player - especially from a rival team or nemesis, but perhaps someone else here can dig that up (I don't think Martellus Bennett was ever a hated, bitter rival). 

Outside of douchiness, Barr could probably be better utilized here in GB, but he's not the ball-buster some folks make him out to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

That's not accurate. He played well before the season that led to his big payday, but was just never healthy for a long period of time. I'm not sure what the deal is this year.

Other than the 2016 season, Perry has averaged 5.3 sacks per season over 5 seasons. 

He had 11 sacks in 2016 and subsequently got paid.

With 1.5 sacks through 7 games so far this season, there is no reason to believe (short of an injury) that Perry cannot not come up with another 3.5-4  sacks to get to 5-5.5 on the year.

Now, whether the $10.75M in 2018, $14.7M in 2019, $14.3M in 2020, and $14.1M in 2021 cap hits are worth that sort of production is an entirely different question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

Anthony Barr will not provide an edge rush though.  He has a whopping 10.5 sacks in 4 1/2 seasons. He has 0 sacks this year.  Fackrell has 9 sacks in 2 1/2 seasons and people think he's the worst OLB in the league.

He's not the classic edge only rusher.  That would be what Caper's defense needed. Pettine will find a way.

47 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Do you watch many Vikings games? Anthony Barr is misused so much in that defense its hard to watch. He drops back in coverage more times than rushes the quarterback it seems. When he does rush the qb hes blitzing, not coming off the edge. As much as it hurts me to say, I agree in bringing in Barr. I said it when he was drafted, he needs to be an edge 3-4 just like he was in college.

His value won't be over inflated.  He is the athlete Pettine could use in all kinds of situations.  It opens up our draft to all possibilities.

He's 26 and makes about the same as CMIII. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

Demarcus Lawrence would be great.  I am buying the idea that a true EDGE is overrated in the era of quick passes.  But a guy who would bring the ability to show different looks on the line is where it's at.  

I'm not so sure the Packers don't subscribe to this theory.  They really haven't added major assets at OLB in years.  I think it was Collnsworth who was saying that interior pass rusher is where it's at because it take so many less steps to get home then it does for an outside guy.  That in turn makes life miserable for QB's.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm not so sure the Packers don't subscribe to this theory (that EDGE is overrated in the era of quick passes)

Really?

Gute was allegedly in on Mack and had that trade gone through we'd have the highest-defensive player in the league at edge.

As it is, Clay and Perry are two of the highest paid paid OLBs in the NFL.

Now if no veteran is brought in to replace Clay and one of the top 2-3 picks does not go to EDGE in 2019 than perhaps I could buy into this notion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×