2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

12 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Foster is getting up there in age, just turned 33 and I would be surprised if he is not retained by the Steelers as a familiar and cheap player/back up/mentor.

I like him as a stopgap player...similar to Jhari Evans a few years ago.  Let him play a year while a drafted kid gets coached up.  Shouldn't cost a ton, but could help a lot.

11 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I'm personally in the "don't pay a lot for RBs" camp.

I think Jones / Williams / Draft Pick would be just fine. Lev Bell is an unnecessary luxury.

I'm of that mindset, too.  I very much have to wonder, though, if the new coaches have the same view.  That is why I posted it.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Hunt isn't even suspended or anything... he could be on the bears now if they liked him.

You're right but he is on the commissioner's exempt list or whatever it's called, pending review and likely suspension. So I'm sure teams are waiting to see how that turns out

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Aaron Jones has the highest yards per carry in NFL history for players with 200 attempts or more.  We're fine at RB if we use what we have at RB. 

This is true. Its also true that his last two seasons have ended with him on IR because of knee injuries. Its worth wondering if he'd have been given a heavier workload earlier in the season if his season might not have ended sooner.

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So...new coach from Tennessee.  OC from Jax.  On paper it looks like a ground game offense

LaFleur talked about this in his presser.
Build the running game enough to enough to make the play action viable - then that's where you get your "explosives" in the passing game.  His plans aren't to become a running offense, but to make the running game a real threat to unleash the passing game

Both Shanahan and McVay have shown this and we saw how Goff struggled when Gurley was out. Play action suffered and Goff suffered
Now McVay has a two - headed beast at RB , not unlike what Kyle Shanahan had in ATL when Matt Ryan was at his best ( MVP season)

As AR ages, a potent running game is his new best friend. One other comment on LaFleur - he talked about wanting an OL that was really physical, whereas GB has focused more heavily on pass pro prowess from their OL under the previous regime.

TT , MM and Campen all built around young AR - now we may see a change in the Packers OL and running game that fits an "older" AR. Last year, Gute went for Byron Bell, a vet instead of just plugging in the next UDFA -  that too is a change from the previous strategy

• Like 2

Just now, JBURGE said:

Are you opposed to adding a RB in the 4th round? 

Nope.  Like I've said before, once you get to the second round, I believe in best player available/best value available regardless of position.  The further you go, the more I believe this. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:
36 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Are you opposed to adding a RB in the 4th round? 

Nope.  Like I've said before, once you get to the second round, I believe in best player available/best value available regardless of position.  The further you go, the more I believe this. 

I really wish this was a strong RB class, but I wouldn't mind at all signing a FA instead of drafting and waiting until next year. Should be a ton of nice mid round guys in 2020, and we're not hurting with Jones, Williams and a FA. As badly as I want a dual RB/FLEX guy I just don't see one this year yet. 

50 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

LaFleur talked about this in his presser.
Build the running game enough to enough to make the play action viable - then that's where you get your "explosives" in the passing game.  His plans aren't to become a running offense, but to make the running game a real threat to unleash the passing game

Both Shanahan and McVay have shown this and we saw how Goff struggled when Gurley was out. Play action suffered and Goff suffered
Now McVay has a two - headed beast at RB , not unlike what Kyle Shanahan had in ATL when Matt Ryan was at his best ( MVP season)

As AR ages, a potent running game is his new best friend. One other comment on LaFleur - he talked about wanting an OL that was really physical, whereas GB has focused more heavily on pass pro prowess from their OL under the previous regime.

TT , MM and Campen all built around young AR - now we may see a change in the Packers OL and running game that fits an "older" AR. Last year, Gute went for Byron Bell, a vet instead of just plugging in the next UDFA -  that too is a change from the previous strategy

Hopefully we get an OL or two in free agency. Couple nice names available.

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Me too. I just don't really want to replace both guards in one offseason unless they are significant upgrades. I think Lane is fine for now, him and Bakh have been together for 3 years. The right side needs an overhaul in the next 16 months, and I would definitely like Bulaga to start in 2019. The new tackle can sit for a year or play RG if we don't get a new one, then bulaga and spriggs will be gone next year and he can step in. Ideally like you said we draft a RG and RT and they both hit. 

If we are able to get a solid tackle at 30-32 and he outplays Bulaga, then fine, move on. I just have a hard time seeing that happening

I agree, but for me it would mean moving on from Spriggs.

Keep Bulaga as the backup swing tackle.

Was just thinking...Titans have Henry.  Jags have Fournette.  How about a power back in free agency?  I think that Williams fits that bill....but....how about Jay Agayi?  Spotrac has him at 2 years, 7.3M projection.  Or...Mark Ingram?  Again Spotrac has his projection at 2 years, 9M.

I think that the roster is going to churn more than we expect, though I don't see getting rid of either Williams or Jones on those rookie deals.  They do have value.  But adding a lead/power back isn't the worst idea....  

(And no, I'm not advocating RB over S, EDGE help)

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Was just thinking...Titans have Henry.  Jags have Fournette.  How about a power back in free agency?  I think that Williams fits that bill....but....how about Jay Agayi?  Spotrac has him at 2 years, 7.3M projection.  Or...Mark Ingram?  Again Spotrac has his projection at 2 years, 9M.

I think that the roster is going to churn more than we expect, though I don't see getting rid of either Williams or Jones on those rookie deals.  They do have value.  But adding a lead/power back isn't the worst idea....  

(And no, I'm not advocating RB over S, EDGE help)

My pipe dream is Chicago being dumb and cutting Jordan Howard and scooping him up.

• Like 1