2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nobody seems to take into account that McCarthy had offers (albeit with stipulations) that he turned down because he would be coaching this year for free if he took them.

No no. This ruins my narrative. 

40 minutes ago, SSG said:

They aren't my rankings and I think the broken thumb had very little to do with Graham's production last year.  It would have been one thing had he been dropping a bunch of passes, he wasn't.  His issue (not including the disgusting effort he gives as a blocker) was getting separation/ beating his man and his thumb had nothing to do with that IMO.  Heck, his most productive game of the season in regards to targets and catches came AFTER his thumb injury.

Your numbers aren't at all correct.  Jimmy Graham hurt his thumb in the last series of the first half in week 10.  Your calculations leave out 25% of the 9 1/2 games he played without the thumb injury.

I don't understand why it's so hard to admit that Graham had a bad season and that his production doesn't match that monster contract.  As it sits, one team in the NFL is allocating more money to the TE position than Green Bay and they've got 5 TEs (compared to our 3).  I don't know how anyone could say we're getting our money's worth out of that allocation. 

I simply shake my head reading some things.

Have you ever had a broken thumb?

It pretty much removes any and all ability to do anything with the injured hand.

Just try to the your shoelaces without using one of your thumbs. Possible? Yes. Perfect? No

Now, try to imagine catching a football having a broken thumb, try to imagine blocking a very angry player trying to kill your QB.

Football fans have become desensitized to the pain every football player deals with.

• Like 2

Who on our roster who you feel are the most likely candidate to be traded? I just got a gut feeling that we will look to trade a player or two in order to stock up on draft picks for next year since we probably won't get comp picks due to our FA activity. Next year we are going to have only 7 draft picks and that isn't nearly enough to continue retooling our roster.

I think Lane Taylor, Josh Jones, Montravious Adams are the top three candidates. None are Gute's draft picks. The big one for me is Lane Taylor, he isn't a great fit in LaFleur's ZBS and cutting him probably isn't an option due to his dead cap hit however his NFL experience and affordable contract could garner some interest. Maybe a 5th round pick if we're lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JQ1 said:

Man, its sure speaks volumes about the previous Packer roster that their ”Big 4, or maybe Big 3.5 of:

1. Clay Matthews
  2. Randall Cobb
  3. Nick Perry 

.5 Jake Ryan  

And let’s not forget how nobody was clamoring to bring in McCarthy in any capacity. For better or worse, thank goodness the housecleaning took place!                                                                                                     

Better late than never, I guess.

And did you somehow forget Zook, Winston Moss, Philbin and the other "great" (now former) Packer coaches the rest of the NFL seems to be overlooking?

(I'm not up to speed on the current narrative being pushed regarding Capers . Last year, the story was the old guy just wanted to retire, but now that he is back as a Jaguars "consultant" -- after being bypassed as the Cardinals defensive coordinator, who knows).

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Basically the Bears have learned that Trubisky can't throw the ball more than 10 yards down field so they're just going to run jet sweeps all game to Cohen, Patterson and this guy. 

They may be interested in his return KR skills as well:

26 attempts
616 total yards
23.6 average
53 long

Similar to Patterson:
23 attempts
663 total yards
28.8 average
95 long
1 TD

CHI ranked 30th in total KR yards - so it appears they're making an effort to improve there.

Edited by Leader

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Guy has a pulse and knows LaFleur's offense = major upgrade over Kizer. 

F*** OFF.

Gabbert is one of the worst QBs i've ever seen. I would rather have Kizer physical talent and potential over Gabbert's any day.

I think we are all giving up on Kizer far too easily. I think he's good, just need more time to develop.

• Like 1