2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Basically the Bears have learned that Trubisky can't throw the ball more than 10 yards down field so they're just going to run jet sweeps all game to Cohen, Patterson and this guy. 

Or the old Rex Grossman/Devin Hester offense where the guy runs into the defender then hopes for a PI.

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Basically the Bears have learned that Trubisky can't throw the ball more than 10 yards down field so they're just going to run jet sweeps all game to Cohen, Patterson and this guy. 

Even if he could, by the time the ball left his hands after he was finished with his slow-*** delivery the guy would already be out of the stadium and running down the street.

Just to recap Gutes decisions since he was hired:

Our new GM has made a few questionable decisions, for example trading Randall, giving Graham that large contract, choosing Cobb over Nelson and now giving Geronimo an original round tender instead of a second round tender.

He has done some good things too such as getting the 1st round pick from the Saints, trading HaHa for a 4th rounder and his activity in this year's free agency. 

The good outweighs the bad so far don't you think? He hasn't been perfect but you can tell he's trying his best to rejuvenate the roster.

Edited by Chili

43 minutes ago, Chili said:

Our new GM has made a few questionable decisions, for example trading Randall, giving Graham that large contract, choosing Cobb over Nelson and now giving Geronimo an original round tender.

He has done some good things too such as getting the 1st round pick from the Saints, trading HaHa for a 4th rounder and his activity in this year's free agency. 

The good outweighs the bad so far don't you think? He hasn't been perfect but you can tell he's trying his best to rejuvenate the roster.

Randall had worn out his welcome... good move regardless how he does now.

Neither Cobb or Nelson have it anymore. We don’t make the playoffs with Nelson on last years team... ok move.

Graham, I thought it was a pretty bold but scary decision... I’ll give you that one.

Geronimo is a nice player but physically limited... push. (IMO) 

Edited by MantyWrestler

43 minutes ago, Chili said:

Our new GM has made a few questionable decisions, for example trading Randall, giving Graham that large contract, choosing Cobb over Nelson and now giving Geronimo an original round tender.

I wanna look at the process of each of these cuz I think that's only fair.

Randall trade: This was pretty terrible. If you have to move on from Randall you have to move on from Randall. I get that. Acquiring Deshone Kizer was the terrible part. Kizer was atrocious as a rookie. Also, important to consider that GB was going to extend Rodgers, thus nullifying the need for any "heir apparent" for him for at least a few more years. Acquiring Kizer was a zero value-added move. If you had to trade Randall for locker room reasons, they should have prioritized draft capital instead of Kizer.

Choosing Cobb over Nelson: I think this was the correct choice at the time. The important thing to note is that both of these players were clearly on the decline. To me, the difference between the two is age. Nelson is an older player in an older body, Cobb is a younger player in an older body. I don't think it was the wrong bet to make on the younger guy, but it just hasn't really worked out. Nelson also hasn't been particularly good, Cobb just really fell off. Largely a non-impactful move since neither would be on the team in 2019 regardless.

Graham contract: Yeah this was a disaster the moment the financials came out. They made a declining Jimmy Graham the highest AAV TE in the league. Pretty clear looking at his years in SEA that he had become only a RZ-fade weapon, which is not something GB uses (because it's actually a pretty low-value play). He's a porous blocker on top of that. He's not a terrible TE. He's just a pretty average one and GB paid a lot for that and didn't really have a nice out until after Y2.

Geronimo OR tender: I would've given him the 2nd round tender, but we'll see what his number ends up being. He's low-key pretty good.

2018 Draft: I think it was a good process aside from the Oren Burks, Cole Madison, and JK Scott pick. Madison broke the style of OL GB had traditionally picked (that had been super successful). I don't even look at what happened afterwards. GB has a model of OL they pick. Stick to it. It works. Oren Burks is super athletic, but plays more like a safety than a linebacker, and not in the positive way. We'll see how it plays out, but it seemed like an over-draft at the time. Don't draft a punter. Ever. Rest of the draft was good from me, got phenomenal value from ESB and MVS. Jaire looks great and I really liked the Josh Jackson pick. Jackson was always gonna be a bit of a project going from strict C2 to a more diverse coverage scheme.

I think we should look at last year as a rebuild year for Gute, he's replaced a LOT of guys on the team now left over from Teds run front and back end. The Jimmy Graham contract is a product of FA, it's a crapshoot. You either overpay or you don't and pick up scraps. My only questionable decision for him was that Randall trade, I doubt he was really that much of a headcase and could have seen what he could do for 1 more year, but I assume it was like the HaHa thing where they wanted to get out early because they weren't gonna re-sign him. That really kick started the rebuild for this team though. He's swapped a lot of players for others now. Big names like Randall, Burnett, Jordy, HaHa,  and now Clay, Perry,  and Cobb.

Now he's shaping the roster into his own starting with some big signings in FA and a lot of ammo in the draft. This year more than last year is where our talent has to be much better, no real excuses now.

Edited by Gopackgonerd