2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah I mean why look at the available safety market when you have a bottom 3 guy who you can pay an extra 5M!  Gross.

At least one of Glover Quinn, Tre boston, Jahleel Addae, Kurt Coleman had to be willing to play for 4.8M this year.  All better options.

Hell, just cut Tramon and sign him back for 1M.

This is BS "Packer People" and catering to coaching staff who are afraid of new players they've never worked with before.

Yeah, there are guys out there we could bring in but until we do there's no point in cutting tramon.  What if we have our eye on someone and he decides not to sign.  If money was tight and we needed the 4m for something right now then sure but that's not the current situation.

2 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

Yeah, there are guys out there we could bring in but until we do there's no point in cutting tramon.  What if we have our eye on someone and he decides not to sign.  If money was tight and we needed the 4m for something right now then sure but that's not the current situation.

because now they only save 3.xM instead of 4.8?

Kind of at the point with Tramon and his horrible tackling and no redeeming qualities that if they can't find someone better for that money, none of our FO should have jobs.

16 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

My foot is my 3rd best appendage for signing my name, and my 2nd sharpest tool for cutting meat after my teeth.

Still pretty useless for both tasks though.  Tramon is my foot.

Damn. You got some sharp feet.

43 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

My foot is my 3rd best appendage for signing my name, and my 2nd sharpest tool for cutting meat after my teeth.

Still pretty useless for both tasks though.  Tramon is my foot.  Reminds me, I should clip my toenails.

Cutting your foot to save some weight then?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

kind of hard to do when you're signed halfway through the year yea?

Thanks for that clarification - which only bolsters the point I was making. Come back any time.

Williams gave us a full year. Breeland gave us a complete portion of the half season he could.

Do I value Breeland's coverage skills more than Williams at this point? No question - but theres something to be said about field tim - and we need to bolster the CB position with (more than UDFA or ST rotate up) capable depth cause we're on the cusp of coming up short at the position (read: KK finding more sideline time again.....and again.)

I am having a tough time deciding whether there was more complaining back when TT would ignore FA's, or is there more complaining now that Gute is signing some high(ish) profile FA's, but they are either the wrong FA's, or Gute is paying them too much.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am having a tough time deciding whether there was more complaining back when TT would ignore FA's, or is there more complaining now that Gute is signing some high(ish) profile FA's, but they are either the wrong FA's, or Gute is paying them too much.

No complaints here.

(In response to Ryan moving on)

I would post this in the 2015 draft thread, but it got locked because trolling. I’ve kind of flipped my opinion on the draft. I use to be in the camp saying that was a D level draft. With that being said, considering where we picked we got

A potential mid to high end safety in Randall 

2 nfl role players who will get second deals in Ryan and Ty

1 injury bust in Rollins

A backup qb

If they stuck with our team, talent wise that’s a C -C+ level draft. 

9 hours ago, Chili said:

I agree with Williams, could've had Breeland or Darby instead.

As for Lewis. What other blocking TE were available on the market for just $2m?

There are just better ways to build a roster in both situations. 

I don't hate Lewis or Williams, but come on... Neither of them are worth those contracts.

Lewis played less than 20% of the offensive snaps last year, and he wasn't that great when he was on the field. I get that McCarthy underutilized Lewis and that Hackett might use him slightly more, but there's no reason that contract shouldn't be within 100K of the vet minimum. 

There are multiple TEs that can block left in FA that would sign for half that price. Better yet, you could've signed a player like Demetrius Harris to a 2/7 contract (who currently has a 2.48 2019 cap hit) and then either sign a blocker near vet minimum or simply draft a guy on Day 3 to do the job.

In terms of Tramon, there's absolutely zero reason he should have been retained at that price.

You want to keep a 36 year old Tramon Williams? Fine. However, not at a 6.375 Million 2019 cap hit that's the 14th highest in the NFL for a safety. I'm not sure how anyone can possibly defend that. 

You could've cut Tramon and then signed Jahleel Addae (or insert your favorite veteran safety) AND Curtis Riley for cheaper than what we're paying Tramon. Just think about that. 

Everyone wants to pat Gute on the back and I understand why, but he honestly needs to do a better job on the mid- and low-level signings if he wants the team to compete in January. Last year we signed Bell, Lewis and Breeland. Breeland's availability was an outlier due to the foot injury. I just have reservations about how he constructs the roster once the bigger names are gone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

There are just better ways to build a roster in both situations. 

I don't hate Lewis or Williams, but come on... Neither of them are worth those contracts.

Lewis played less than 20% of the offensive snaps last year, and he wasn't that great when he was on the field. I get that McCarthy underutilized Lewis and that Hackett might use him slightly more, but there's no reason that contract shouldn't be within 100K of the vet minimum. 

There are multiple TEs that can block left in FA that would sign for half that price. Better yet, you could've signed a player like Demetrius Harris to a 2/7 contract (who currently has a 2.48 2019 cap hit) and then either sign a blocker near vet minimum or simply draft a guy on Day 3 to do the job.

In terms of Tramon, there's absolutely zero reason he should have been retained at that price.

You want to keep a 36 year old Tramon Williams? Fine. However, not at a 6.375 Million 2019 cap hit that's the 14th highest in the NFL for a safety. I'm not sure how anyone can possibly defend that. 

You could've cut Tramon and then signed Jahleel Addae (or insert your favorite veteran safety) AND Curtis Riley for cheaper than what we're paying Tramon. Just think about that. 

Everyone wants to pat Gute on the back and I understand why, but he honestly needs to do a better job on the mid- and low-level signings if he wants the team to compete in January. Last year we signed Bell, Lewis and Breeland. Breeland's availability was an outlier due to the foot injury. I just have reservations about how he constructs the roster once the bigger names are gone.

Agreed with all of this.

I assumed Tramon was a goner. It didn't even occur to me that he might not be.

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall while they discussed not cutting him... I'm guessing by context we just paid him a bonus. That's odd. I just want to know how that went down to decide that...

His 2019 cap hit is approximately 1.125 million less than than the 10th ranked  safety in 2019, who is Tashaun Gipson at 7.5. million.  

How are we comfortable paying Tramon 1 million less than the Texans are paying Tashaun Gipson... to play safety?

Don't even get me started with the names of safeties that have significantly smaller cap hits than Tramon. I'm not talking about rookies either, I'm talking 2nd and 3rd contract players.