2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

His 2019 cap hit is approximately 1.125 million less than than the 10th ranked  safety in 2019, who is Tashaun Gipson at 7.5. million.  

How are we comfortable paying Tramon 1 million less than the Texans are paying Tashaun Gipson... to play safety?

Don't even get me started with the names of safeties that have significantly smaller cap hits than Tramon. I'm not talking about rookies either, I'm talking 2nd and 3rd contract players. 

Yeah I always assumed he was gone. Now I'm just wondering what the heck the thought process was.

Just now, Norm said:

Yeah I always assumed he was gone. Now I'm just wondering what the heck the thought process was.

When Tramon signed that contract and I saw the terms... I was like... huh there's no way he sees Year 2 of that deal.

I thought that he'd literally need to roll back the clock a decade in terms of play level to even sniff Year 2 at THAT cost. 

• Like 1

Who did we have at the time of the Tramon signing?

I'm thinking it was King, Rollins, and Pipkins? 

They may have thought that it is an over pay, but he is sure and steady while we rebuild the CB group and the overall positional cost is pretty low.  Fast forward and every safety that we have either: sucks, is injured, or is injured and sucks, and Tramon does his best there.  

Think maybe Tramon is still around because he's a 30 year veteran that is probably going into coaching and we have like zero defensive backs over 26 years old, like 0 cornerbacks over 24 years old and Tramon has played in multiple systems, knows how to play corner (and did it well for years) and might know a thing or two he can pass on to an extremely young secondary?

With some of you it's like... ****.  This man made a career for himself through straight up hard work and dedication and now he's making 6 million dollars when he probably shouldn't, but so the **** what.  

He's a Packer in every way and I'm happy for him, and I'm happy to have him on our roster all things considered.  

We clearly don't keep players if we feel their worth is not there, so it's abundantly clear to me that, unless he is in fact cut, we see lots of value there.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Think maybe Tramon is still around because he's a 30 year veteran that is probably going into coaching and we have like zero defensive backs over 26 years old, like 0 cornerbacks over 24 years old and Tramon has played in multiple systems, knows how to play corner (and did it well for years) and might know a thing or two he can pass on to an extremely young secondary?

With some of you it's like... ****.  This man made a career for himself through straight up hard work and dedication and now he's making 6 million dollars when he probably shouldn't, but so the **** what.  

He's a Packer in every way and I'm happy for him, and I'm happy to have him on our roster all things considered.  

We clearly don't keep players if we feel their worth is not there, so it's abundantly clear to me that, unless he is in fact cut, we see lots of value there.

That's my thinking right? It has to be the veteran status and everything like that. I'm not like steaming mad, I just assumed he'd be an easy cut. That's where my thing was, what was the value we saw

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He already made his millions for all of this dedication. 

There's no room for sentiment if you want to win it all.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

That's my thinking right? It has to be the veteran status and everything like that. I'm not like steaming mad, I just assumed he'd be an easy cut. That's where my thing was, what was the value we saw

I think he's on the team still because even with Amos, he's probably our second best safety,  which isnt a good thing. That's why safety, IMO, is still a pretty big hole on this team that we need to address either with another FA or by round 2 of the draft.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think he's on the team still because even with Amos, he's probably our second best safety,  which isnt a good thing. That's why safety, IMO, is still a pretty big hole on this team that we need to address either with another FA or by round 2 of the draft.

If they hadn't paid him that 1 million bonus I wouldn't have thought much of this, just still waiting to upgrade. But now I'm wondering if he's staying all the way. IDK

6 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

The decision was whether to pay him 3.75 this year or not. The way the deal was structured and the cap hit this year is a tangent.

No, the decision was to pay him 4.75 million, not 3.75 million. The Packers would've been on the hook for 1.625 million in dead cap, which seems pretty palatable when you consider the alternative. 

We could've freed up 4.75 million in cap space on March 14th. 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

If they hadn't paid him that 1 million bonus I wouldn't have thought much of this, just still waiting to upgrade. But now I'm wondering if he's staying all the way. IDK

Suggests to me that they plan to draft a guy, not go with another vet. Williams is a safety net in case the rook doesnt start or play right away.

• Like 1

Just now, Cadmus said:

No, the decision was to pay him 4.75 million, not 3.75 million. The Packers would've been on the hook for 1.625 million in dead cap, which seems pretty palatable when you consider the alternative. 

We could've freed up 4.75 million in cap space on March 14th. 

Yea, I missed that just looking at spotrac. My bad. In the end it kind of looks like he's the starter this year.

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Suggests to me that they plan to draft a guy, not go with another vet. Williams is a safety net in case the rook doesnt start or play right away.

He has the 9th highest cap hit on the team. 

That's a ridiculously expensive safety net.