2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Only complaint I had about Clay Matthews over his career, and it's a minor one, is that he never mastered the art of the "strip sack." Guy was so out of control coming in like a heat-seeking missile to sack the QB, he rarely went for the ball, lol. 

Indeed, in his 10-year career at GB, according to NFL.com, Clay forced 15 fumbles. Not terrible, but not great for a guy who was a premier EDGE player at one time. 

In comparison, when we look at two of the all-time greats regarding the strip-sack, Julius Peppers and Von Miller, Peppers forced 51 fumbles in 17 years and Miller has forced 25 fumbles in 8 years in the league. 

The forced fumble issue never even came to mind with me.  The over running the play did.  He was out of control far to often when he'd get by the OL on both riunning plays and pas plays.  That would be my only complaint.  I will miss him, I'm sad he's gone but for that money, LA can have him.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eyecatcher said:

The forced fumble issue never even came to mind with me.  The over running the play did.  He was out of control far to often when he'd get by the OL on both riunning plays and pas plays.  That would be my only complaint.  I will miss him, I'm sad he's gone but for that money, LA can have him.  

I'll say this. I've never seen another defensive player close in the last 5 yards like prime-of-his-career Clay Matthews. That 1.49 10-yard split was the real deal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I can actually tolerate him since I feel like I'm "in on the joke" with him. But sadly it seems like, not anyone here necessarily, think he's actually being serious. Dude always has this **** eating grin after he says some crazy **** to let everyone know but still it works on them. 

These programs have the same formula: put people together who yell conflicting opinions at each other and for some reason, people watch. The "protagonists" have some usual or typical takes on certain players, teams, sports and such - repeat them over and over again ginning up "dissension" and "controversy" and viewership. It's a daily program and they've got to have something to say - so the edgier the better. A waste of time IMO. 

Just now, Leader said:

These programs have the same formula: put people together who yell conflicting opinions at each other and for some reason, people watch. The "protagonists" have some usual or typical takes on certain players, teams, sports and such - repeat them over and over again ginning up "dissension" and "controversy" and viewership. It's a daily program and they've got to have something to say - so the edgier the better. A waste of time IMO. 

Sound a lot like this forum.  But you waste a lot of time here.  ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

No doubt.

I had a nervous breakdown this week just trying to find some real breakdown of the NCAA games. But I heard about Kobe's ******* children's book 50 times. Thanks ESPN!

Finally I just threw up some gambling dudes videos from YouTube so I can at least hear about something that's actually sports and not TMZ level garbage. 

30 minutes ago, Norm said:

I can actually tolerate him since I feel like I'm "in on the joke" with him. But sadly it seems like, not anyone here necessarily, think he's actually being serious. Dude always has this **** eating grin after he says some crazy **** to let everyone know but still it works on them. 

Yep. His  goal generally is to antagonize the people he is talking to, whether fellow analysts, guests or just the audience. Work them into a frenzy by saying nonsensical stuff. I think if you watch his show, going in with any other expectation is just not setting them right.

Which is exactly why I try to avoid watching/hearing whatever he has to say.

7 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Yep. His  goal generally is to antagonize the people he is talking to, whether fellow analysts, guests or just the audience. Work them into a frenzy by saying nonsensical stuff. I think if you watch his show, going in with any other expectation is just not setting them right.

Which is exactly why I try to avoid watching/hearing whatever he has to say.

My favorite Skip Bayless video is the one where he argues against himself...the A. Aron one that is...

Curtis Riley is visiting the Raiders.  When he came to visit us, we told him, "Hey, we're gonna be honest with you.  We want you to sign with us, but if either Nasir Adderley or Chauncey Gardner-Johnson are available 30th overall, we're planning on signing them and hoping they'll take your spot.  So all you've got to do is beat a rookie and you'll be our starter." 

I thought it was strange I had never heard Riley's name before considering his 16 starts and 4 interceptions, but PFF had him at 58.  I know PFF is crap for DB ratings, but they're generally accurate in that when they've got someone rated poorly, they're not very good.  For comparison, Josh Jones was rated at 61. 

Source: Imagination. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Sound a lot like this forum.  But you waste a lot of time here.  ;) 

I'll address your comment as if posed seriously - and disagree. This forum is actually more informative than those programs even try to be. The thrust of my comment was that the hosts of those shows pair off into contrived discussions / arguments with intent (IMO) to rile up and play off fan biases and attitudes - on a very short list of "headline" topics. There's a sameness to the programming - they discuss what keeps their viewership high (again IMO) with tends to limit what their discussing: Lebron, the Lakers, Brady, BB, Dak, Jerry, the Cowboys.......it's a formula to promote viewership - not information.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I'll address your comment as if posed seriously - and disagree. This forum is actually more informative than those programs even try to be. The thrust of my comment was that the hosts of those shows pair off into contrived discussions / arguments with intent (IMO) to rile up and play off fan biases and attitudes - on a very short list of "headline" topics. There's a sameness to the programming - they discuss what keeps their viewership high (again IMO) with tends to limit what their discussing: Lebron, the Lakers, Brady, BB, Dak, Jerry, the Cowboys.......it's a formula to promote viewership - not information.

The winky face kinda gives away his intentions...

• Like 3