2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

On 3/23/2019 at 10:26 PM, Outpost31 said:

Someone explain the 52 rule the best way possible so I can explain it to my 10-year-old son.  If I ever have one.

No matter what time of year it is, you can't go over your calculated cap number.

During the season, everyone on your 53 man roster plus IR counts against your cap.

In the off-season, only the 51 largest player cap hits count against the cap.

This is to make sure teams who are right up against the cap can still field a 90 man training camp roster. Adding 47 bodies at 500k each would push most teams over the cap. The rule of 51 prevents that.

43 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

All of this. 

"Despite signing Adrian Amos away from the Chicago Bears in free agency, the Green Bay Packers still have a major need at safety. In fact, it’s almost certainly situated at or near the top of the team's needs going into the draft........signing Amos was a start, but it’s only a start. Adding Boston and a talented rookie could turn the position around overnight, turning an obvious weakness into a potential strength. Amos, Boston, a rookie, Josh Jones and Raven Greene could form a deep and versatile safety group for Mike Pettine’s defense in 2019"

Works for me.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Leader said:

"Despite signing Adrian Amos away from the Chicago Bears in free agency, the Green Bay Packers still have a major need at safety. In fact, it’s almost certainly situated at or near the top of the team's needs going into the draft........signing Amos was a start, but it’s only a start. Adding Boston and a talented rookie could turn the position around overnight, turning an obvious weakness into a potential strength. Amos, Boston, a rookie, Josh Jones and Raven Greene could form a deep and versatile safety group for Mike Pettine’s defense in 2019"

Works for me.

Couple things yah gotta ask yourself...or better yet, someone who scouts for an NFL team...  Why isn't Boston signed yet?  Man, to me that is perplexing.  And I'm usually stupified, not perplexed.

Then....where do you draft that young safety?  (And at what "cost" in terms of missing out on other guys?)

That pick #30 is so very interesting.  Great spot to take an OT/OG for the future (thinking Risner), great spot to take one of the two Iowa tight ends (ahead of NE), great spot to take a DL (Simmons/Lawrence), great spot for WR...etc.

I know that I love CJG.  I know that I very much like Adderly.  I've heard others sing the praises of Savage.  I think Baker has free safety ability.  I like Hooker, but I love Iowa safeties.   And I don't know if I want to spend pick #30 on any of those guys.

I only get comfortable taking one of the safeties in the third round.  I'd even move a later pick to go up and take one.

Just such an interesting draft for GB given those picks and needs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Why isn't Boston signed yet?

I feel like some guys are in a secure enough position in their NFL careers that they are content to wait until after the draft to sign with a team who misses out on drafting a high end prospect at his position.  So he'd rather go somewhere where he has a good shot to play than somewhere where he competes with a rookie (which is a competition he will inevitably lose just because of "younger and cheaper.")

Every year we hear about a handful of veterans who sign during the draft.  I imagine these teams have these sorts of "keep your phone on during the draft" things worked out in advance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Couple things yah gotta ask yourself...or better yet, someone who scouts for an NFL team...  Why isn't Boston signed yet?  Man, to me that is perplexing.  And I'm usually stupified, not perplexed. Then....where do you draft that young safety?  (And at what "cost" in terms of missing out on other guys?)

I agree and have mentioned previously that if there's any red flag for this guy it's what appears to be at least an apparent inability to stick with any one team for an extended period. I'm passing on knowing his skillsets/talents and living off the opinion of others.

But I like the approach to the position - one which I want (or would like to see......) upgraded. When/where we pull the trigger for this position - cant say - but personally, I'd like it closer to the surface than down in the depths :)

13 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I know that I love CJG.  I know that I very much like Adderly.  I've heard others sing the praises of Savage.  I think Baker has free safety ability.  I like Hooker, but I love Iowa safeties. 

THANK YOU for not throwing Thornhill in there.  I don't think I've ever seen so much love for a guy with such underwhelming game tape as I have on this forum since the Combine.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

THANK YOU for not throwing Thornhill in there.  I don't think I've ever seen so much love for a guy with such underwhelming game tape as I have on this forum since the Combine.

What about Imam Marshall playing safety? During the combine as I watched him I just kept thinking he looks like a safety any thoughts?

18 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Couple things yah gotta ask yourself...or better yet, someone who scouts for an NFL team...  Why isn't Boston signed yet?  Man, to me that is perplexing.  And I'm usually stupified, not perplexed.

Then....where do you draft that young safety?  (And at what "cost" in terms of missing out on other guys?)

That pick #30 is so very interesting.  Great spot to take an OT/OG for the future (thinking Risner), great spot to take one of the two Iowa tight ends (ahead of NE), great spot to take a DL (Simmons/Lawrence), great spot for WR...etc.

I know that I love CJG.  I know that I very much like Adderly.  I've heard others sing the praises of Savage.  I think Baker has free safety ability.  I like Hooker, but I love Iowa safeties.   And I don't know if I want to spend pick #30 on any of those guys.

I only get comfortable taking one of the safeties in the third round.  I'd even move a later pick to go up and take one.

Just such an interesting draft for GB given those picks and needs.

We have a lot of draft capital this year .  I believe we should use some of it to move up into the 3rd or even 2nd round to take a safety.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

You are welcome.  I didn't watch any Thornhill until after the combine.  I didn't see him play anywhere near that fast or athletic.  I'd be okay with him as a 4'th round pick or so, one that plays specials while learning the position, but those other guys seem to play faster and have more awareness.  But yah, I'm with you concerning the evaluation of Thornhill.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reaper said:

What about Imam Marshall playing safety? During the combine as I watched him I just kept thinking he looks like a safety any thoughts?

I thought he looks like a nice developmental outside corner.  Later round kid.

Hadn't thought about him as a safety.  What did you see, besides size, that lends you to think he is a safety?  I ask because when I think free safety, I think of a zone corner with plus awareness and anticipation/ball skills.  

21 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like some guys are in a secure enough position in their NFL careers that they are content to wait until after the draft to sign with a team who misses out on drafting a high end prospect at his position.  So he'd rather go somewhere where he has a good shot to play than somewhere where he competes with a rookie (which is a competition he will inevitably lose just because of "younger and cheaper.")

Every year we hear about a handful of veterans who sign during the draft.  I imagine these teams have these sorts of "keep your phone on during the draft" things worked out in advance.

His career earnings are at 4.3 million over five years. He's never signed any sort of significant contract. If he's content waiting every year and signing a one year deal worth under a million, he's either an idiot or needs a new agent. 

• Like 1