2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's just poor reasoning. 

LOL! There is ABSOLUTELY NO penalty or doing this a post June 1 cut and we didn't. It is either poor cap management by the Packers front office, or they don't need the cap space this year. 

Give me another plausible explanation! I'll wait. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

LOL! There is ABSOLUTELY NO penalty or doing this a post June 1 cut and we didn't. It is either poor cap management by the Packers front office, or they don't need the cap space this year. 

There's a limited number of post June 1st cuts allowed per year and they wanted to keep their options open.

It WAS bad cap management by the Packers. Hard to not say we're failing to optimize our resources when all of our contracts aren't ending on team options and a few other items.

4 hours ago, Golfman said:

All one can really conclude is that the team felt they were better off taking the full cap hit this year rather than pushing it off untill next year.  

6 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

All one can really conclude is that the team felt they were better off taking the full cap hit this year rather than pushing it off untill next year.  

Correct! Meaning they didn't think they would need it in 2019. 

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's a limited number of post June 1st cuts allowed per year and they wanted to keep their options open.

It WAS bad cap management by the Packers. Hard to not say we're failing to optimize our resources when all of our contracts aren't ending on team options and a few other items.

Can't find that anywhere on the internet so I'd love to see where it states that.

Yeah, so there is no team in the world that has every contract end on team options. Which I am guessing you are referring to Cobb and Matthews where deal ended and we didn't pursue. Teams are always going to get into contracts that don't pan out. Bad cap management is when you have to cut players to get your cap in order. 

Edited by Golfman

On 4/20/2019 at 5:49 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Perry and Wilkerson both back for nothing would be a fantastic way to close out this remaining cap space.

Perry and Wilkerson vs Tre Boston???

Both would be good options, It would depend on how the draft went but I would lean toward Boston just because we don't really have much at safety besides Amos and it would give the Packers insurance in case the safety most assume they take early doesn't make an immediate impact or they miss out on one of the top safeties all together. 

On 4/21/2019 at 8:16 AM, Golfman said:

Well, there is some penalty, but not much in this situation. If they did a post-June cut, they would not have had the option to spend any of the Perry savings until June 1st, whereas just cutting him gave them an extra few million to spend immediately in the March FA frenzy. But they did not end up spending that extra money anyways.

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Does this draft end the Wilkerson deal in Green Bay or is that still an option in posters minds? If he comes back it is almost certainly the end of Montavious Adams time in Green Bay. I don't think they cut the 5th rounder we got. 

Probably. Adams had some good games toward the end of last season. Maybe he just needs some snaps to get better. As for the rookies, it's anybody's guess what we'll see out of them. I think it was Pettine that mentioned running multiple packages so every guy can stay involved in some way.