2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

If saving that $6M per year allows GB to be more aggressive in pursuing other FA.  

Is a 2nd tier Edge ($8-10M) + Breeland ($6M) vs a tier 1 Edge for $15M the better use of the cap space?

Well, couple of things there to consider.

#1...I'm all for going big in free agency, even though there is a lot of "Fools Gold" out there.

#2...I believe GB has all the space they need right now, getting a solid corner for $6M/season, to me, is a good spend of money.

#3...Second tier Edge and Breeland vs. A tier 1 EDGE.....  First....I think $15M doesn't get you Clowney or Lawrence.  Maybe Ford if you want him.  And even if GB is "in" on them, it's a different thing to be "in" than to actually land them.  Takes two to tango.  Especially with those high priced big name guys.  I guess I don't see $6M as being a difference maker.  And if you really need it, TWill can easily be gone to recoop some of that.  Or Perry.

#4...Regarding Breeland...I have no idea what contract he expects to get, but he is on record saying that he wants to return to GB, so that obstacle of getting them to come over is already done with him.  Bird in hand versus two in the bush...so to say.

Now...you tell me it is Breeland or a safety like Earl Thomas?  Now I'm more inclined to give that money to a safety and use Tramon as the insurance policy.

I'm not "pro" Breeland or against Breeland.  He was okay this year.  I am afraid of the health of that CB unit and the more quality guys you have there, the better.

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Well, couple of things there to consider.

#1...I'm all for going big in free agency, even though there is a lot of "Fools Gold" out there.

#2...I believe GB has all the space they need right now, getting a solid corner for $6M/season, to me, is a good spend of money.

#3...Second tier Edge and Breeland vs. A tier 1 EDGE.....  First....I think $15M doesn't get you Clowney or Lawrence.  Maybe Ford if you want him.  And even if GB is "in" on them, it's a different thing to be "in" than to actually land them.  Takes two to tango.  Especially with those high priced big name guys.  I guess I don't see $6M as being a difference maker.  And if you really need it, TWill can easily be gone to recoop some of that.  Or Perry.

#4...Regarding Breeland...I have no idea what contract he expects to get, but he is on record saying that he wants to return to GB, so that obstacle of getting them to come over is already done with him.  Bird in hand versus two in the bush...so to say.

Now...you tell me it is Breeland or a safety like Earl Thomas?  Now I'm more inclined to give that money to a safety and use Tramon as the insurance policy.

I'm not "pro" Breeland or against Breeland.  He was okay this year.  I am afraid of the health of that CB unit and the more quality guys you have there, the better.

I get what you are saying.  My main point is not what player you can get for the $6M in salary alone, but if you can add that $6M to an offer on a player that allows you to land a player vs losing out by 1-2M

Why are people worried about re-signing Breeland effecting our ability to sign someone else?  We have a billion dollars to spend, and half our desired signings won't want to sign here anyway.  It's more likely we struggle to get to the minimum than we struggle with cap space.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Why are people worried about re-signing Breeland effecting our ability to sign someone else?  We have a billion dollars to spend, and half our desired signings won't want to sign here anyway.  It's more likely we struggle to get to the minimum than we struggle with cap space.

There's an opportunity cost to everything. It's not running out of cap space, it's that his money could be used on a different player. And also, half the league has a billion dollars to spend, which means players are going to be more expensive. Packers cap space right now ranks 14th.

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

There's an opportunity cost to everything. It's not running out of cap space, it's that his money could be used on a different player. And also, half the league has a billion dollars to spend, which means players are going to be more expensive. Packers cap space right now ranks 14th.

I think that's the point he's making, it 'could' be used on another player or it could be spent on nothing because "half the league has a billion to spend" and might outbid us on too much else, so much that we can't even spend our money. 

There's obviously going to be better value after the fact and he's and an enigma still but I don't want to have the issue he's talking about the next couple years where we literally can't spend our money. 

We won't come close to spending 25 million on outside free agents that will count against our cap this year.  This free agency will not be the free agency Packer fans want nor expect.  

We will get a Jimmy Graham or a Julius Peppers or a Charles Woodson.  We will not be getting an Olivier Vernon or a Josh Norman or a Stephon Gilmore.

We will not get one of the "prized" free agents.  

If you think we will, you haven't been paying attention to Green Bay.  Really wish I didn't have to remind people of this every year.  

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

We won't come close to spending 25 million on outside free agents that will count against our cap this year.  This free agency will not be the free agency Packer fans want nor expect.  

We will get a Jimmy Graham or a Julius Peppers or a Charles Woodson.  We will not be getting an Olivier Vernon or a Josh Norman or a Stephon Gilmore.

If you think we will, you haven't been paying attention to Green Bay.  Really wish I didn't have to remind people of this every year.  

I tend to agree.  Just because we have a new GM (controlled by a President), doesn’t mean GB is suddenly going to make a 180 degree change in its approach to FA.  Furthermore, GB is still a cold, small-market team that historically has trouble luring a certain caliber of FA player.  Acquisitions like Reggie White are rare; even guys like Woodson and Peppers to some extent.

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

We will get either a meh TE, good EDGE, or HOF DB but we will not get bad EDGE, system CB, or good CB. Interesting.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

*insert eyeroll Jpeg*

Can someone even find a good example of this before regurgitating this TT-Harrell hater tier talking point?

14 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Good. Peppers/Woodson ended up being more "prized" than Vernon, Norman, Gilmore etc.

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

*insert eyeroll Jpeg*

Can someone even find a good example of this before regurgitating this TT-Harrell hater tier talking point?

Allen Robinson.  Sammy Watkins.  Trumaine Johnson.

No hate here, just facts.  Gute was "in" on those conversations and they decided to go elsewhere.

GB was "in" on Graham and got him.  One out of four.  Guessing that is about average for most of the NFL when they go after guys in free agency.  It isn't a "sure thing".

Just because GB wants a free agent doesn't mean they get him.  And it has nothing to do with "hate" for TT.  None at all.  Just how free agency works.

• Like 1

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Good. Peppers/Woodson ended up being more "prized" than Vernon, Norman, Gilmore etc.

I'm not making an indication on how the free agent signing will turn out, but there's also Jeff Saturday and Martelluss Bennett. 

All I'm saying is we're getting players who haven't cashed in yet, who want to win more than they want to spend. 

39 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

*insert eyeroll Jpeg*

Were you asleep last free agency?

Either it was all fluff Gute was going after them or they didn't want to go here or the money wasn't enough, likely a combination of the last two though I think we leaked stuff to make it sound like we were more in on guys than we were to appease the fan base, it's tin foil hat but I think it was real.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Denial. 

Denial is the only explanation for people who think there's no disadvantage to Green Bay in free agency. 

Denial is people who think all FA's #1 requirement is how much time they can spend in da club, so GBs eliminated.

Cash, that's really it. GB offers more cash than the other 31 teams they'll get whatever FA they want.

• Like 2