2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

27 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Those Free agent safeties may have just gotten more spendy

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/02/panthers-re-sign-s-eric-reid

does this really mean safeties are costing more?  $7.3M/year for a veteran that isn't old, doesn't have any major injury concerns (i don't think), and played really well?  That doesn't concern me really.  not saying i would want packers to pay that, but reid definitely balled out last year. 

Edited by snackattack
edit

33 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Those Free agent safeties may have just gotten more spendy

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/02/panthers-re-sign-s-eric-reid

Reid is just a tick under the Collins/Thomas/Joyner/Mathieu group. Is expect to pay 10m per for any of them. 8m seems good for Reid. What he should've made before the NFL owners tampered with his FA candidacy. Good for Reid. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, snackattack said:

does this really mean safeties are costing more?  $7.3M/year for a veteran that isn't old, doesn't have any major injury concerns (i don't think), and played really well?  That doesn't concern me really.  not saying i would want packers to pay that, but reid definitely balled out last year. 

I don't know but I think it highlights the position isn't going to be a bargain bin like some seem to think.

12 hours ago, snackattack said:

Yea, I have seen people freaking out about how this ruins the safety market but it is about what i expected. I expected Collins/Thomas to cost 10-11 million per year, Reid/Joyner/Mathieu to cost around 7-8 million per year, and Boston plus the rest of the safeties to cost 5 million or less per year. 

I think last year was an exception for the safety market. 

16 hours ago, snackattack said:

Yes.  Reid wasn't ignored because he was just average, he was ignored because he was one of the leaders of the 'kneeling'.  He got a one year 'prove it' contract and made good on it.  Got rewarded like he should.  It doesn't upset the apple cart at all.  I would argue that he is being paid what he's worth.  That being said, Tre Boston for about 3 yrs 15-18M would seem about right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

Yea, I have seen people freaking out about how this ruins the safety market but it is about what i expected. I expected Collins/Thomas to cost 10-11 million per year, Reid/Joyner/Mathieu to cost around 7-8 million per year, and Boston plus the rest of the safeties to cost 5 million or less per year. 

I think last year was an exception for the safety market. 

I don't think anyone is freaking out, they're observing that the contract is healthier compared to what happened last year in Free Agency.

Do the Packers need a different veteran quarterback for the backup position other than Kizer. I personally feel that Boyle has more upside potential in this system than Kizer but is not ready to be the number two. I also don’t think our season goes very well if Rodgers is out for an extended period of time and we use Kizer as the starting quarterback.

Would Kizer bring anything in trade value such as a 4th or 5th round pick?

Would Josh McCown be a n option? He would add a lot to the quarterback room as far as intelligence. He could then transition into the coaching staff after a season on the roster.

I have not seen this discussed in this thread so I am just throwing it out there. 

27 minutes ago, 66fan said:

Do the Packers need a different veteran quarterback for the backup position other than Kizer. I personally feel that Boyle has more upside potential in this system than Kizer but is not ready to be the number two. I also don’t think our season goes very well if Rodgers is out for an extended period of time and we use Kizer as the starting quarterback.

Would Kizer bring anything in trade value such as a 4th or 5th round pick?

Would Josh McCown be a n option? He would add a lot to the quarterback room as far as intelligence. He could then transition into the coaching staff after a season on the roster.

I have not seen this discussed in this thread so I am just throwing it out there. 

IMO all Kizer has shown in his NFL career is inadequacy.  Would a team trade for him? I can't say.  I have seen trades that are even worse, so who knows.  I wouldn't count on it though.  I do think that for the remainder of Rodgers' huge contract we have made our bed with having a back-up QB on a rookie contract.  Veterans, especially decent ones, cost money.  We already have a significant percentage of our cap tied up in a position where only one player sees the field.