2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Nickle defence is actually now the new base defence. Nickle requires a LB/S hybrid to be quick enough to cover TE and big enough to stop the run. That particular position is now standard and is required in today's NFL.

I wanted the Packers to draft Deion Jones but instead they went for Spriggs. The next year we finally filled this position with Josh Jones but unfortunately he hasn't done a whole lot so far.

If the Packers chooses to do so they can make up for their draft mistake by targeting the likes of Barron, Bucannon and IIoka.

I think Jones showed enough last year to get the nod. I'm looking for a free safety type. Brice will likely only hurt another player on our team so I"m past him but really think Jones will have a solid year now after getting so much playing time. His bulb seemed to click and I like him around the line.

3 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Its definitely scary. You either overpay for proven players who have good chance in helping you out immediately. Or you wait till later in FA and get fillers hoping they can rebound and find a new gear in GB.

The Collins contract is insane. Thats why if you can get ET on a 2 year contract, you go for it. I hate New England with a passion but I really like the way they are aggressive about trades and risky picks in the draft. That is how you land good to elite talent.

GB's drafting has not been impressive over the last few years so one would think they would be more aggressive in FA and/or trades to get talent. But they have been neither. I am worried about the future of our team.

Agreed a team needs to be looking at every avenue to improve. If we can have a decent draft like last year i like our odds.

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

I think Jones showed enough last year to get the nod. I'm looking for a free safety type. Brice will likely only hurt another player on our team so I"m past him but really think Jones will have a solid year now after getting so much playing time. His bulb seemed to click and I like him around the line.

Josh Jones?

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

Nickle defence is actually now the new base defence. Nickle requires a LB/S hybrid to be quick enough to cover TE and big enough to stop the run. That particular position is now standard and is required in today's NFL.

I wanted the Packers to draft Deion Jones but instead they went for Spriggs. The next year we finally filled this position with Josh Jones but unfortunately he hasn't done a whole lot so far.

If the Packers chooses to do so they can make up for their draft mistake by targeting the likes of Barron, Bucannon and IIoka.

I loved all three of those guys coming out of college. I'd love to sign any of them, especially knowing they can move back to Safety in a pinch.

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

Agreed a team needs to be looking at every avenue to improve. If we can have a decent draft like last year i like our odds.

Yeah. A good draft will help. Specially since it is supposed to be loaded with D talent and we have 3 picks in the top 44. I think one of the big problem teams like GB face is that even in their worst seasons, they are mediocre from a league standings standpoint. So they pick later in the draft and it makes it hard to land elite talent. Its good to be always competitive but at the same time, it limits the quality of players you can get.

We need to make sure we hit a homerun with that #12 pick this year. 

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

people want to sign ET for 2/30, but think 3/45 for collins is a bad deal?

I'm confused.  Collins is younger and has no injury history and the back half 3/39 could seem like a really cheap deal in 2022-2024 cap numbers.

I don't think anyone ever said that. The six year deal is a hell of a commitment for a more of a box style safety. A very good box style safety indeed. However, I would pay Earl 30 million for 2 years in a Mike Pettine defense in a heartbeat. Look at the FS play he's gotten out of lesser talent in this system, imagine Thomas. 

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

people want to sign ET for 2/30, but think 3/45 for collins is a bad deal?

I'm confused.  Collins is younger and has no injury history and the back half 3/39 could seem like a really cheap deal in 2022-2024 cap numbers.

You're talking two entirely different types of Safeties here. The Earl Thomas skill set is a rarity and much harder to come by then the Landon Collins skill set.

1 minute ago, SaginawReunion83 said:

I don't think anyone ever said that. The six year deal is a hell of a commitment for a more of a box style safety. A very good box style safety indeed. However, I would pay Earl 30 million for 2 years in a Mike Pettine defense in a heartbeat. Look at the FS play he's gotten out of lesser talent in this system, imagine Thomas. 

It's 3 years 45 million, then it's 1 year 13 mil team options for 3 years after that.  it's a 3 year commitment.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

That's stupid money.  I'd give prime ET that, but Landon Collins?  Hell no.

again, the contract is 3/45 gtd, then it's all the team's decision with no dead cap.  It's a fine deal and pretty sane for one of the best players in FA.

2 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

You're talking two entirely different types of Safeties here. The Earl Thomas skill set is a rarity and much harder to come by then the Landon Collins skill set.

I don't get why 3/45 is a bad deal for ostensibly a good player.  A good young player.

Archived