2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Just now, skibrett15 said:

again, the contract is 3/45 gtd, then it's all the team's decision with no dead cap.  It's a fine deal and pretty sane for one of the best players in FA.

I sincerely doubt that he agreed to a deal where only 3 years carries guaranteed money, because that means he didn't take a signing bonus.  I can't recall the last time a major FA didn't get a signing bonus.

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

people want to sign ET for 2/30, but think 3/45 for collins is a bad deal?

I'm confused.  Collins is younger and has no injury history and the back half 3/39 could seem like a really cheap deal in 2022-2024 cap numbers.

I think we'd all agree that when healthy (which is a huge caveat) Earl Thomas is a significantly better player than Landon Collins.  But Earl Thomas plays an exponentially more valuable role than Collins.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

It's 3 years 45 million, then it's 1 year 13 mil team options for 3 years after that.  it's a 3 year commitment.

again, the contract is 3/45 gtd, then it's all the team's decision with no dead cap.  It's a fine deal and pretty sane for one of the best players in FA.

I didn't see the details on that, my bad. I get what you're saying now about 3/45.

I still stand with wanting to pay that extra mil for Earl than him though. In my opinion he's the most impactful player you can get on defense in the open market easily. I could care less about his age.

Just now, Green19 said:

If Green Bay is going to “over spend” it will be on edge rushers not safeties.

Both Smiths are likely targets... as well as Ford and Houston.

Gute is more Ted then Ron.

Because he's not throwing stupid money around?  At this point, I think I'd rather have Gute sit on his hands for a few days and then reassess the market.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't get why 3/45 is a bad deal for ostensibly a good player.  A good young player.

Landon Collins hasnt had an All Pro Season since 2016 and while I love him and his leadership / skillset the fact is a player with that skill set is a dime a dozen. A player like ET is a generational talent and much harder to find and typically when a player like ET comes around they dont change teams.

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm confused.  Collins is younger and has no injury history and the back half 3/39 could seem like a really cheap deal in 2022-2024 cap numbers.

"Box safety" x 10000000 will be the replies

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Collins' guaranteed money is for more than the entire contract for ET at 2 for $30M.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I sincerely doubt that he agreed to a deal where only 3 years carries guaranteed money, because that means he didn't take a signing bonus.  I can't recall the last time a major FA didn't get a signing bonus.

I sincerely doubt that rappoport is saying this if it's not based in truth.

He can get 30 mil up front without it being prorated over the course of the 5 years that a signing bonus is.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because he's not throwing stupid money around?  At this point, I think I'd rather have Gute sit on his hands for a few days and then reassess the market.

No not my point at all.

Im saying we clearly value positions differently under Ted. Gute is not going to spend on safeties.

He WILL on edge. Hence Mack, Ford, etc.

If Green Bay “over spends” its more likely on edge guys this off season.

Thomas is a pipe dream... CB, Edge, OT, QB... these are the positions Green Bay will give up premium captial for.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't get why 3/45 is a bad deal for ostensibly a good player.  A good young player.

Idk the details but you can read that as only 45 for the first 3. But I'm guessing if he stays there 3 years, it's more than that....

Archived