2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rookie contract.  You don't give those guys up.

Yeah i don't get the hate i thought he took a couple good steps forward last year. Kid has room to grow obviously but I think he could be a nice player still.

I need to re-frame my point.  I want thomas.  Have wanted him for a while.  Wanted to trade our 3rd round pick pre-injury last year for him.

i want him at 2/30.

If we had signed collins at 6/84, we would all be talking about that contract how I just framed it.  It's not an overpay.  It may even be a fair deal for both sides.  But it does seem fairly flexible from the team's perspective if I'm reading the Rapoport tweet right (and I might not be, could mean 45 mil paid over first 3, but that's not the 45M gtd).

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I sincerely doubt that rappoport is saying this if it's not based in truth.

He can get 30 mil up front without it being prorated over the course of the 5 years that a signing bonus is.

Unless it's structured in a rather unique way, it's not a tweet you can read too much into.

Just now, PACKRULE said:

Yeah i don't get the hate i thought he took a couple good steps forward last year. Kid has room to grow obviously but I think he could be a nice player still.

He's kind of like King, they haven't produced...yet.  But you don't give up on guys on rookie contracts.  Low risk to the team.  I think Jones still has upside.  Like a ton of it.  Never understood why he wasn't played near the LOS more last year.  But yah...you wait on guys on those rookie deals.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rookie contract.  You don't give those guys up.

Generally I agree - but it depends on how far along on that rookie deal they are and what they've put on the field.
Eventually - with some guys - they reveal their ceiling before its time to re-up them and you move on.
Ex: HHCD - who in a performance sense had far out performed JJ - to date. Hope springs eternal.

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

No not my point at all.

Im saying we clearly value positions differently under Ted. Gute is not going to spend on safeties.

He WILL on edge. Hence Mack, Ford, etc.

If Green Bay “over spends” its more likely on edge guys this off season.

Thomas is a pipe dream... CB, Edge, OT, QB... these are the positions Green Bay will give up premium captial for.

I don't know how you can come up with that based on one offseason plus a few hours into the second offseason.  He didn't spend on EDGE last year, what makes you think it's going to change this year?

Just now, skibrett15 said:

you do if they are the worst guy at the position and you have a better street FA.  That's how this is heading...

We can agree to disagree on that point.  Street free agent safeties vs. Josh Jones.

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I sincerely doubt that rappoport is saying this if it's not based in truth.

He can get 30 mil up front without it being prorated over the course of the 5 years that a signing bonus is.

That would mean a 30m cap hit. I'm with woody on this one

Archived