2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Generally I agree - but it depends on how far along on that rookie deal they are and what they've put on the field.
Eventually - with some guys - they reveal their ceiling before its time to re-up them and you move on.
Ex: HHCD - who in a performance sense had far out performed JJ - to date. Hope springs eternal.

Some guys take a bit to develope. Kid has speed and size you can't teach that. I thought he came around considerably after his piss poor rookie season. No injuries to speak of and S is a tough position to learn and his year one was with Capers who had him at ILB and S and also wanted his S's to be interchangable. Dix was terrible and got himself traded out of town. Jones just needs another leap, he doesn't have to be elite just keep getting better.

Just now, Green19 said:

History of his mentor? He credits Ted a ton. Also when was he going to spend last year on edge? No one was really on the market. And Green Bay has bad contracts on the books while needing to figure Rodgers first.

He was in on Mack. He is rumored on Ford, the smiths, etc.

Tells me he values classic premier position. Last year... was CB. This year is likely Edge... with clay going (most likely) and nothing on roster. 

I mean, it's speculation at best at this point.  TT wasn't in on anyone based on the rumors.  But we're a little over a year under Gute's watch.  Way too early to make any concrete opinions, especially off of rumors.

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

http://medicaleyeassociates.com

Posting this link for laughs rather than going through the entire exercise of pointing out how Josh Jones was terrible this year only to have you respond with, "Well that's just my opinion," like a Portland house wife explaining why her kids aren't vaccinated.

Hahaha sorry I forgot this site seems to often work on rankings and ratings from sites. When guys post them only to be told PFF or something like that sucks. You tend to be harder on some players then others and well sorry aren't always right. I'll go do some digging and try to support my opinion so i don't have to respond with well you already knew my response.

PFF ranking in his second year at 24 years old has him at Average.

2018 PFF Grades
Defense 61.7
#70 S

10 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Some guys take a bit to develope. Kid has speed and size you can't teach that. I thought he came around considerably after his piss poor rookie season. No injuries to speak of and S is a tough position to learn and his year one was with Capers who had him at ILB and S and also wanted his S's to be interchangable. Dix was terrible and got himself traded out of town. Jones just needs another leap, he doesn't have to be elite just keep getting better.

Josh Jones wise...you clear about $200k by releasing him.  

Looks like low end roster guys are $495k.  Release him and you actually pay $295k more for his "street" replacement.

Christ that was off.  1.15 due.  $609 dead cap.  Save $406K or something like that.  Paying $495k for lowest on the roster.  Pay $89k more for his replacement.  Sorry about that.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's speculation at best at this point.  TT wasn't in on anyone based on the rumors.  But we're a little over a year under Gute's watch.  Way too early to make any concrete opinions, especially off of rumors.

He said he will be more active then Ted... he has shown that, even if it’s just for show. So again to this point, we can assume he will be active. And based on rumors he has been this year so far and last.

What positions he values is alittle easier because again his mentor. So far his offseason and draft he has focused on CB and Edge.  Rumored on every CB last off-season and drafting 2 with his top 3 picks.

This offseason he is rumored to be on 4 edge players.

Again looking at everything. He had a shot at Derwin James... he past. Safety isn’t high on his list I’m assuming. So I’ll be surprised if we spend on that. It’s why the Gibson news is disappointing.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

He said he will be more active then Ted... he has shown that, even if it’s just for show. So again to this point, we can assume he will be active. And based on rumors he has been this year so far and last.

Rumors don't actually make it true.  I mean, just because we hear that the Packers were rumored to be in the mix doesn't actually mean they will be.  You're taking him for his word.

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

What positions he values is alittle easier because again his mentor. So far his offseason and draft he has focused on CB and Edge.  Rumored on every CB last off-season and drafting 2 with his top 3 picks.

This offseason he is rumored to be on 4 edge players.

Again looking at everything. He had a shot at Derwin James... he past. Safety isn’t high on his list I’m assuming. So I’ll be surprised if we spend on that. It’s why the Gibson news is disappointing.

So...we have a HUGE need at CB, and you're jumping to the conclusion that it's Gute putting a premium on the CB position?  Maybe it's true, but I'd hardly use 1 offseason to justify that argument.  We haven't even heard the Packers directly linked to any EDGE in particular  We're hearing about how they want to be active, but nothing that they were getting close.  Hell, I don't think the Packers were even close to Trey Flowers.

The Packers also passed on Tremaine Edmunds and Marcus Davenport, two potential EDGE prospects.  Does that mean Gute devalues the EDGE position?  No.  It just means that Gute got enough value from the Saints to bypass picking at 14, and he found value in a trade up with the Seahawks.  And when he moved back up, Derwin James and Tremaine Edmunds were both off the board as was Marcus Davenport.

So far FA destinations have been LA, Washington, San Francisco, Philadelphia and surprisingly Detroit. If the Crowder story is correct then NY will be the next one on the list. Still waiting on Florida.

Looks like your typical free agency with players jumping to big market locations.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Rumors don't actually make it true.  I mean, just because we hear that the Packers were rumored to be in the mix doesn't actually mean they will be.  You're taking him for his word.

I mean, I also believe Ted made a lot of calls, and just backed out on guys when the number got outside of his range.  I am not sure anything has changed (or should change).

Just now, Chili said:

So far FA destinations have been LA, Washington, San Francisco, Philadelphia and surprisingly Detroit. If the Crowder story is correct then NY will be the next one on the list. Still waiting on Florida.

Looks like your typical free agency with players jumping to big market locations.

lol well most of the NFL is big market locations ... so that's not entirely surprising? 

Archived