2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, I also believe Ted made a lot of calls, and just backed out on guys when the number got outside of his range.  I am not sure anything has changed (or should change).

That's my train of thought.  I think Ted had a very strict opinion of a players' market, and was absolutely willing to walk away if they went outside of that range.  And I think Ted was less willing to keep up with the market.

Just now, Chili said:

So far FA destinations have been LA, Washington, San Francisco, Philadelphia and surprisingly Detroit. If the Crowder story is correct then NY will be the next one on the list. Still waiting on Florida.

Looks like your typical free agency with players jumping to big market locations.

I mean, you have to think about might cause a player to sign a free agent contract as soon as possible.  If you wanted to, you could make visits and meet coaches and compare offers.  But not in a 4.5 hour period.  So if a guy is signing with a team already, it's because something in the offer blew them away.  Maybe it's something about the situation (returning to an old team or reuniting with a coach), but it's probably the money.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's my train of thought.  I think Ted had a very strict opinion of a players' market, and was absolutely willing to walk away if they went outside of that range.  And I think Ted was less willing to keep up with the market.

If there's a flaw in this approach, though, it's in "setting a guy's value incorrectly" not in "viewing NFL players as somewhat fungible so it's never necessary to pay whatever it takes for any given player."

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

http://medicaleyeassociates.com

Posting this link for laughs rather than going through the entire exercise of pointing out how Josh Jones was terrible this year only to have you respond with, "Well that's just my opinion," like a Portland house wife explaining why her kids aren't vaccinated.

Holy ******* shots fired lolol

Edit: anyone remember when some user here thought he could like eradicate all disease with 20k in start up funds. Lol

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Rumors don't actually make it true.  I mean, just because we hear that the Packers were rumored to be in the mix doesn't actually mean they will be.  You're taking him for his word.

Ummm... at this point and any point you have to base your understanding off rumors. Unless you work with them none of us will ever truly know.

Im using reason based on inside info from media members and what Gute actually does.

Last offseason he was rumored on a lot of the CBs. Breeland, Johnson, the guy from the Bears, etc. He literally traded back because he saw value in it... selecting Alexander a CB. Then selecting another in round two.

He has been rumored to be linked to 4 edge guys this offseason, the smiths, Ford and Houston.

Im not making any of this up. I think it’s safe to say Gute is like Ted... he values classic premier positions. He has said as much in interviews. Saying he owes a lot to Ted.

Look you might love Earl Thomas and I’m sorry if my opinion upset that love because I’m saying he is a pipe dream... but based on the information we have... he will spend or look at edge most likely this offseason, it’s the overwhelming weakness for the team... like CB last year. Unless Pettine tells him he doesn’t need edge guys and prefers DTs and inside linebackers.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

If there's a flaw in this approach, though, it's in "setting a guy's value incorrectly" not in "viewing NFL players as somewhat fungible so it's never necessary to pay whatever it takes for any given player."

I mean, when you were drafting at a rate higher than the standard it's not the end of the world.

Archived