2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

Holy ******* shots fired lolol

Yeah i coudln't remember bad mouthing AG recently but i'm going to now! Read a few articles about JJ's improvement especially around the LOS. Good thing i have reading glasses just need to get some TV glasses now.

Just now, cannondale said:

I guess last year was the year to get a safety

The FA market is FULL of safeties. The very best ones will get big contracts but still plenty of good ones left to find in the bargain bin.

Just now, Green19 said:

Ummm... at this point and any point you have to base your understanding off rumors. Unless you work with them none of us will ever truly know.

Im using reason based on inside info from media members and what Gute actually does.

Last offseason he was rumored on a lot of the CBs. Breeland, Johnson, the guy from the Bears, etc. He literally traded back because he saw value in it... selecting Alexander a CB. Then selecting another in round two.

He has been rumored to be linked to 4 edge guys this offseason, the smiths, Ford and Houston.

Im not making any of this up. I think it’s safe to say Gute is like Ted... he values classic premier positions. He has said as much in interviews. Saying he owes a lot to Ted.

Look you might love Earl Thomas and I’m sorry if my opinion upset that love because I’m saying he is a pipe dream... but based on the information we have... he will spend or look at edge most likely this offseason, it’s the overwhelming weakness for the team... like CB last year. Unless Pettine tells him he doesn’t need edge guys and prefers DTs and inside linebackers.

What rumors?  We've heard that Gute is going to be active in addressing the EDGE position.  Trey Flowers just went off the board earlier today at 5 years at $16M/$17M per year.  The Packers weren't even directly linked to Flowers.  There have been some loose rumblings that the Packers might be interested in Preston Smith, but the recent rumors were the Packers in the background.  That suggests that it's people trying to connect dots that might or might not be there.  You keep talking about these rumors like they're based on fact, when the reality is that it's usually people speculating.  We're "connected" to Za'Darius Smith because of Milt Hendrickson.

Last offseason, when it was incredibly clear we needed more bodies at CB it took a failed offer sheet to Kyle Fuller before we had "signed" a CB.  And it was only after Breeland's contract with the Panthers was voided that he signed with the Packers.  We took two CBs in the draft because they were BPA.  Look, I'm not saying that he doesn't value positions more than others, but you need more than 1 offseason to justify that argument.

And no, I don't think we're going to be the ones signing Earl Thomas.  Especially after how much Landon Collins got.  I think 4 years, $48M is Thomas' floor.  Someone's going to pay him.   I think Gute would rather sign a second tier FA like a Tre Boston or Tashaun Gipson than go pay big bucks to Earl Thomas..

Just now, Chili said:

The FA market is FULL of safeties. The very best ones will get big contracts but still plenty of good ones left to find in the bargain bin.

Yeah there's tons left. This isn't anything to get too worried about yet. Seems like the deepest position

Archived