2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

19 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I know Anthony Barr's name came up around here, former vike who will be a FA in March
Just looked up his bio; he grew up playing multi-sports in SoCal, kicked arse in LA high school and was an All- State RB - then went to UCLA to become a star NFL prospect on defense. Those are his roots

That does not sound like the bio of a guy dreaming about being a Packer
At some imaginary number he'd do it, but he'll have many suitors to choose from -  including his hometown Rams

I share your skepticism on us being able to obtain him as well but to me I feel like we should build a vet line that could pan out this year our best player spends too much time injured because we refuse to protect him with good talent that is in the FA market such as Adam Levitre and Roger Saffold now Saffold will be a major stretch as he would have to leave the sunshine in LA but even Matt Slauson who was statistically on the best line in the league this year would be perfect IMO its time we spend money to protect our best asset

2 hours ago, Kenrik said:

You're right but I just feel like most times when teams are working on extensions you hear about it. I feel like MN is moving on more because his attitude and scheme fit vs him wanting 12-14 million per. 

i think we both can agree the scheme for Barr wasn't ideal.

14 hours ago, Leader said:

That - plus the stadium IMO. I know Lambeau's this iconic landmark - but times (and players) change and I think MN has a "if all things are considered even"  advantage over GB simply because their "Frozen Tundra" field never freezes.

giphy.gif

never say never...

• Like 3

Beasley is the kind of WR that I would prefer to draft or sign as UDFA, not pay FA money for.  I would be all about adding a WR in that mold.  The closest current Packer to Beasley physically is probably Teo Redding at 6'1 176.  I really like the WR talent that this team already has, and I am hesitant to add a high dollar FA to the group with a second year jump from Moore, MVS, ESB, and Kumerow;  and a returning Geronimo, who should be cheap.  That said, we should be able to afford it, he won't likely get more than Cobb did in 2018.  We are only really paying Adams and Graham (right now) at the offensive skill positions.  

And just a fun fact:  Kapri Bibbs is the most expensive RB contract currently on the 2019 Packers.

If we are letting Cobb walk why would we sign Beasley? Cobb is younger, has a trust with Rodgers and is/has always been a better player than Beasley.

If you are looking to get cheaper because Cobb isn’t going to take a sweetheart deal... you draft and develop.

The FA WR class is brutal this year. Like last year the only guy I see value in is Moncrief. He only signed 1 year in JAX and now has a connection in GB... via Hackett.

He isn’t in that Beasley mold but he seems , to me, like the only value.

Yeah, I see no damn sense in Cole Beasley here. 

Beasley is literally white Randall Cobb. 

If you think I'm wrong, take a look at his 2018 season with Prescott and Cobb's 2017 season with Hundley. 

Guess which is which:

16 games, 65 receptions, 672 yards, 3 touchdowns.
15 games, 66 receptions, 653 yards, 4 touchdowns. 

People wanting Cole Beasley had better not be the people complaining about Cobb.  Cobb is more capable of being a Beasley than Beasley is, and with Aaron's familiarity. 

If you want an upgrade over Cobb's role on this team, it's Humphries or a draft pick for me. 

Humphries is capable of more than Beasley or Cobb, and he's younger, too. 

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I see no damn sense in Cole Beasley here. 

Beasley is literally white Randall Cobb. 

If you think I'm wrong, take a look at his 2018 season with Prescott and Cobb's 2017 season with Hundley. 

Guess which is which:

16 games, 65 receptions, 672 yards, 3 touchdowns.
15 games, 66 receptions, 653 yards, 4 touchdowns. 

People wanting Cole Beasley had better not be the people complaining about Cobb.  Cobb is more capable of being a Beasley than Beasley is, and with Aaron's familiarity. 

If you want an upgrade over Cobb's role on this team, it's Humphries or a draft pick for me. 

Humphries is capable of more than Beasley or Cobb, and he's younger, too. 

Since 2014, Beasley's second year in the league, games played: 14, 16, 16, 16, 15, 16. There's the difference between him and Cobb. 

I don't really want to pay Cole Beasley either, more expensive than Humphries. Just don't think that comparison is good