2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Well if I'm the Packers, I'm going to look to shore up that secondary a little bit at the safety position so names like Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu and maybe Bucannon as a fall back plan if all else fails. 

I'm probably going to look at the Draft for an Edge Rusher, you already have Nick Perry locked up and can't really move on from him next season and Edge is a particularly expensive position to target in Free Agency so I'm more likely to package up my 1st round picks and try and move up as far as I can to ensure we get our Edge guy. 

As for ILB I'm targeting Avery Williamson, he's such an underrated LB and I think would fit nicely with this team and with the big money I'm saving by not going after Edge in Free Agency then I'm likely going to target Le'Veon Bell as a sure #1 RB to play with Aaron Rodgers through the remainder of his career. This MAY not be necessary if Aaron Jones can start getting the carries he needs and we can commit there but until we do for now this is what I'm looking to do as the $ would ensure he's an every down back in our system and his talent with Aaron Rodgers will make this offense hard to defend against. 

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

His best year by far was his contract year. He had 11 sacks. He may have played decently previously but never to his potential, and not nearly as productive as in his contract year. I believe he's one of those guys and am calling him out as such.

2 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Other than the 2016 season, Perry has averaged 5.3 sacks per season over 5 seasons. 

He had 11 sacks in 2016 and subsequently got paid.

With 1.5 sacks through 7 games so far this season, there is no reason to believe (short of an injury) that Perry cannot not come up with another 3.5-4  sacks to get to 5-5.5 on the year.

Now, whether the $10.75M in 2018, $14.7M in 2019, $14.3M in 2020, and $14.1M in 2021 cap hits are worth that sort of production is an entirely different question. 

I am not arguing 2016 was big for him. That's obvious. But prior to 2016, he started in a total of 16 games and had 12.5 sacks. Plus a couple big playoff games IIRC.

Edited by Arthur Penske

42 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I'm not buying the idea that we're in an era of quick passes.  

That's fair, I actually have no numbers to back this claim up.  I think Pettine's success without Edge guys in New York, and what Collinsworth alluded to is interesting.  It's not that Edge guys can't be important, but being able to show different looks and pressure the inside might now be more important.

I think the Packers caught a break not getting Mack.  He isn't stopping Brock O from putting up 30 on the Bear's D.

TEs under contract for 2019: Jimmy Graham

S under contract for 2019: Josh Jones, Raven Greene (Tramon Williams)

G under contract for 2019:  Lane Taylor, Alex Light (Cole Madison)

These are our own FAs that I think are young, still ascending, should be cheap, that I would try to sign:  Allison, Whitehead, Brice, Gilbert, Tonyan, Kumerow, and Lancaster.

I think we should retain at least one of: Bell, McCray, and Patrick at the guard position.  We have the rest of the season to evaluate these guys.

I think there is a place for Matthews and Wilkerson, at the right price.  I would put Breeland in the same category, I would like to see him on the field before making a decision.

Of the rest:  Lewis and House are washed.  I'd like Cobb, but at an insultingly low salary.  I don't see much of a difference if Kendricks and Ryan are here or not.

Outside FAs I would go strong for:  Landon Collins, Markus Golden (not Shane Ray), and Jared Cook.

In the draft I am still looking for pass rushers, a good guard prospect, a safety early.

14 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I'm probably going to look at the Draft for an Edge Rusher, you already have Nick Perry locked up and can't really move on from him next season and Edge is a particularly expensive position to target in Free Agency so I'm more likely to package up my 1st round picks and try and move up as far as I can to ensure we get our Edge guy. 

If the Packers and Saints picks are early and late 20 something picks, that combined value gets you up to pick 7, even assuming someone is willing to accept an equal value trade (normally the higher pick asks for more). By pick 7 you can expect both Bosa and Ferrell to be gone (both are likely top 5). I'm not convinced any of Josh Allen, or Joe Jackson, or Brian Burns are worth TWO first round picks, when you could probably get Montez Sweat with the second of the two first rounders, plus another excellent prospect with the first round one pick.

Now IF Bosa or Ferrell were somehow still there when 7 came around, I can see the tempation to deal, but I rather doubt it happens.

13 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If the Packers and Saints picks are early and late 20 something picks, that combined value gets you up to pick 7, even assuming someone is willing to accept an equal value trade (normally the higher pick asks for more). By pick 7 you can expect both Bosa and Ferrell to be gone (both are likely top 5). I'm not convinced any of Josh Allen, or Joe Jackson, or Brian Burns are worth TWO first round picks, when you could probably get Montez Sweat with the second of the two first rounders, plus another excellent prospect with the first round one pick.

Now IF Bosa or Ferrell were somehow still there when 7 came around, I can see the tempation to deal, but I rather doubt it happens.

I've always said it and I'll keep saying it. Mack should have meant more to the Packers then what he did for the Bears. This is their shot at redemption and I honestly hope they do whatever it takes to secure one of those two guys. 

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Mack isn't having the same impact on this team. 

Our pressure packages don't emphasize the edge rushers, they emphasize the blitzers.

Our standard sets require the edge guys to play through a man. 

If there was ever a scheme to de-emphasize the edge spots, this is it. 

Do you think that is Pettine though...changing the scheme because our EDGE guys were pretty weak to begin with? I would assume Pettine isn't dumb enough to get a guy like Mack and use him poorly in a scheme not meant for his strengths. You scheme "around" Mack if you have him. 

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Mack isn't having the same impact on this team. 

Our pressure packages don't emphasize the edge rushers, they emphasize the blitzers.

Our standard sets require the edge guys to play through a man. 

If there was ever a scheme to de-emphasize the edge spots, this is it. 

Freaks and studs transcend scheme. If Pettine has Mack he's not coaching the same way he is now. That's like saying Rodgers wouldn't have as much of an impact in Dallas or Seattle because they are run first schemes.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Freaks and studs transcend scheme. If Pettine has Mack he's not coaching the same way he is now. That's like saying Rodgers wouldn't have as much of an impact in Dallas or Seattle because they are run first schemes.

Yeah, I'm sure there was a reason Gutey was so willing to give up a lot for Mack. I'm sure Pettine was on board with having Mack to work with lol.

22 hours ago, Lodestar said:

+

S

Earl Thomas
Landon Collins
Lamarcus Joyner
Kareem Jackson
Tyrann Mathieu

EDGE/LB

Dante Fowler
Anthony Barr
Frank Clark (no thanks)

I think Clowney is going to get a Mack deal so we won't be bidding. Barr would be a nice pick up but with is history with us don't see it happening. He's going to get paid really well too. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I think Clowney is going to get a Mack deal so we won't be bidding. Barr would be a nice pick up but with is history with us don't see it happening. He's going to get paid really well too. 

Well if the rumors are true, we were willing to give up multiple picks AND give a contract like that to Mack. So not sure we won't be in the bidding for Clowney. Whether or not he wants to come here is another issue.