2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, jleisher said:

If former Packers TJ Lang or Morgan Burnett get released, would you take a chance on 1-2 yr deals at a fair market price?  Burnett could play just Safety and help the youngsters, TWill could be moved back to CB if not cut.  Lang and Bulaga could be used to groom 2 draft picks for the right side in 2020.  What you think?  

No! Lang has been injured his two years in Detroit, including a few concussions which seemed to last a lot longer than normal. Burnett doesn't want to play linebacker and he's not good enough to play safety any longer. 

33 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Didn't people pretty much think Morgan Burnett sucked at safety? idk how much of an improvement he would be

He's was a slightly above average box safety during his career in GB. I don't see him as an every down player like he used to be. I would be fine with him coming back If he takes a small salary and then brings his leadership to the locker room and becomes a role player for this team. 

58 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Didn't people pretty much think Morgan Burnett sucked at safety? idk how much of an improvement he would be

Sucked?  I'm not sure.

Seems like when he was here and on the field, the defense was much better than when he was injured.  I seem to recall a strong correlation between not looking lost on defense and Burnett being on the field.

I'm unsure just how good he was as a safety, but we seemed better when he was on the field.  I think he's a pretty intelligent guy that helped out a lot with communication.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jleisher said:

If former Packers TJ Lang or Morgan Burnett get released, would you take a chance on 1-2 yr deals at a fair market price?  Burnett could play just Safety and help the youngsters, TWill could be moved back to CB if not cut.  Lang and Bulaga could be used to groom 2 draft picks for the right side in 2020.  What you think?  

Nobody wants players that have been here before in free agency. If they were identical players but were never here they would clamor for them. It's like getting toys for Christmas you have to Goodwill. We demand new toys we never had, even if they are the identical amount of fun.

17 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Well taking back a player that used to be here means you’re admitting the team was wrong at least to some degree in letting said player leave

IDK about all that. But I understand what you mean. If someone grossly overpays then has to cut him because he wasn't up to snuff, you weren't really wrong. But our safety and guard play has been crap lately so it certainly looks that way. Besides that, being scared to admit your mistakes is a stupid way to do things if you think admitting them improves your situation. But I'm sure that factors in with teams even though it shouldn't

Edited by Norm

3 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Well taking back a player that used to be here means you’re admitting the team was wrong at least to some degree in letting said player leave

I don’t think it’s that. It’s about value. Take Lang when he left... at that price GB didn’t want what he was offering, the value wasn’t there.

Now... the market maybe is only willing to give him what GB values him at as well. Now GB is willing to bring him back.

Its not being wrong or right. It’s value... that’s why Ted didn’t do FA a lot. Because you have bad teams with tons of money willing to pay the Kirk Cousins of the world more then Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, etc of the world. Throws off everything.

I was done with Morgan B. when he sat down with that interception against Seattle. I don't care who was telling him to. He keeps running and he might score, at the very least he sets up the game clinching field goal. He's the perfect example of soft, play not to lose, defense. We need hard nosed players that will play to win. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I was done with Morgan B. when he sat down with that interception against Seattle. I don't care who was telling him to. He keeps running and he might score, at the very least he sets up the game clinching field goal. He's the perfect example of soft, play not to lose, defense. We need hard nosed players that will play to win. 

Not this again...

• Like 3