2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

well, I like taking chances on an injured player when they have real upside to their game.  I just don't see burnett as more than a steady eddie type player, and one who would have to come in and learn a new system to boot.

If we're out there spending money at EDGE, I'd love steady at safety. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

His career average outside his ACL tear is more like 13 but OK....

Starting and not finishing due to injuries is a thing.  Sure he played in a good % of games, but when the soft tissue strains are repeat issues, expecting them to decrease in frequency as Burnett gets older is silly.  GB would still need to view him as a 3rd/4th safety and find another 1-2 in FA and draft to improve the position group as a whole.  I just do not see the value

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Starting and not finishing due to injuries is a thing.  Sure he played in a good % of games, but when the soft tissue strains are repeat issues, expecting them to decrease in frequency as Burnett gets older is silly.  GB would still need to view him as a 3rd/4th safety and find another 1-2 in FA and draft to improve the position group as a whole.  I just do not see the value

THIS!  He is clearly declining.  Always liked him, solid player a few years ago. Never a playmaker though.

49 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We'd take back the guy who quit on our secondary but not the guy who led it. Got it.

Randall is the opposite of the usual scenario. Everyone hated him here, then he left and suddenly he's this All-Pro. He was nothing more than average last year.

That's because tweedle dee and tweedle dum had him playing CB instead of FS. Even Whitt couldn't help himself after joining the Browns with a slow burn against his former employer when he commented about being thrilled to be able to work with DR at his "natural position." 

Burnett was not good this year in PIT, and I have no real reason to believe he will be significantly better wherever he plays next year.  If he happens to land in GB I would hope I'm wrong about that, but I wouldn't be optimistic.

If there was ever a player who needed a change of scenery, it was Randall.  For better or worse, the relationship between Mac and Randall seemed BBR.  I probably would have felt different about the Randall trade had Mac been let go after last season, but those two were not going to be on the same team in 2018.

If we seriously cut Jimmy Graham, I'll be officially one of the Founding Gute Haters. 

It would surely mean we would go out and sign a fourth tight end in free agency in four years, and no options out there are going to play as well as Jimmy for what we'd pay Jimmy. 

It would be sinking more money into a position that's not all that important in theory to an offense, and one that takes Rodgers time to get used to, so it would be taking another year back instead of a year forward with Jimmy. 

I said it was a mistake to cut Jordy when it happened, and it was.  Don't know why people don't see that here.  He was a significant threat in the red zone, and this was Aaron's worst year in the red zone of his career. 

Even neglecting who it is (Graham), it's just a really bad precedent.  Ted Thompson was allergic to getting better, but whatever faults he had, he didn't have this compulsive need to get worse.  Gute has shown a serious compulsion to getting worse.

Cut Jordy.
Traded Randall (before we added a single replacement).
Traded Clinton-Dix.

These are moves that demonstrably made us worse.  We did NOT have better replacements at the time of their cutting.  We just got rid of them. 

It's just, in my opinion, stupid. 

To be clear, I'm not questioning Burnett's physical toughness. It's the mental part, and I don't blame him entirely. McCarthy (remember him?) had a "play not to lose philosophy," instead of a "play to win it philosophy" (for ex., he should have gone for two against the Cardinals) and Burnett bought into that philosophy. I think it's too late in Burnett's career to expect him to turn that around. Besides, as others have pointed out, he's a declining player. Maybe he could be serviceable for a couple of years, but I'd rather see Breeland and/or Jackson get a shot at safety first. 

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If we seriously cut Jimmy Graham, I'll be officially one of the Founding Gute Haters. 

It would surely mean we would go out and sign a fourth tight end in free agency in four years, and no options out there are going to play as well as Jimmy for what we'd pay Jimmy. 

It would be sinking more money into a position that's not all that important in theory to an offense, and one that takes Rodgers time to get used to, so it would be taking another year back instead of a year forward with Jimmy. 

I said it was a mistake to cut Jordy when it happened, and it was.  Don't know why people don't see that here.  He was a significant threat in the red zone, and this was Aaron's worst year in the red zone of his career. 

Even neglecting who it is (Graham), it's just a really bad precedent.  Ted Thompson was allergic to getting better, but whatever faults he had, he didn't have this compulsive need to get worse.  Gute has shown a serious compulsion to getting worse.

Cut Jordy.
Traded Randall (before we added a single replacement).
Traded Clinton-Dix.

These are moves that demonstrably made us worse.  We did NOT have better replacements at the time of their cutting.  We just got rid of them. 

It's just, in my opinion, stupid. 

There's no insider talk of cutting Graham, you typed all this out on a random thought in your head?

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That's because tweedle dee and tweedle dum had him playing CB instead of FS. Even Whitt couldn't help himself after joining the Browns with a slow burn against his former employer when he commented about being thrilled to be able to work with DR at his "natural position." 

It's his natural coverage position. So he can't man up or press effectively at CB, he's a mess coming down hill and being physical in either the run or short pass game. So essentially you have a 1 high, deep Rover safety who is doesn't really do much anything else. Add in the fact that he's not a good locker room guy. Remind me again why we miss him?