2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Clowney is going to get overpaid on potential.  While I loved him coming out, he's not a guy I want to invest top money into.  That being said, I'm sure Gute will be in on the conversation.  I'm also pretty certain that Clowney won't be coming to GB.

This is my suspicion, but I am a BIG Clowney fan. 

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

This is my suspicion, but I am a BIG Clowney fan. 

So....explain his game to me.  When I saw him in college, I saw a defensive end.  Not an OLB.  I know he got hurt right away and that microfracture surgery is supposed to take some physical ability away from yah, but still....when I see Clowney, he doesn't show much change of direction.  Very much a straight ahead kind of guy with good power.  Similar to Nick Perry, only with better speed and length.

Can you tell me how he would fit at OLB here?   ...cuz I'm a fan too, I just don't know if his skills translate well in this scheme.

Same think for Demarcus Lawrence, who I adore.  He's more of a defensive end than an OLB with agility to him.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Mack isn't having the same impact on this team. 

Our pressure packages don't emphasize the edge rushers, they emphasize the blitzers.

Our standard sets require the edge guys to play through a man. 

If there was ever a scheme to de-emphasize the edge spots, this is it. 

I do think Mack would transcend any other edge, but I agree about the way the defense works for Pettine.

I think we're going DL first and then an edge with our second first round pick.

My two affordable FAs are Barr (he's not even overvalued on his own team right now) and Tre Boston.  I think Boston can play centerfield effectively and not break the bank for us.

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So....explain his game to me.  When I saw him in college, I saw a defensive end.  Not an OLB.  I know he got hurt right away and that microfracture surgery is supposed to take some physical ability away from yah, but still....when I see Clowney, he doesn't show much change of direction.  Very much a straight ahead kind of guy with good power.  Similar to Nick Perry, only with better speed and length.

Can you tell me how he would fit at OLB here?   ...cuz I'm a fan too, I just don't know if his skills translate well in this scheme.

Same think for Demarcus Lawrence, who I adore.  He's more of a defensive end than an OLB with agility to him.

I think that Clowney is a hand in the dirt 1st and 2nd down player, and someone we will move all over the place for rush packages. That's how they use him in Houston for the most part, from what I've watched. I think Clowney is a dominant player and someone that Pettine would need to adjust his scheme around a little bit for. I don't think he is Mack or Donald tier, but he makes up that 2nd tier of DL players that I would love to have one of. 

Like Pettine said of Buffalo, he had both his edges there play to their strengths, ie not drop back in coverage. 

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Well if the rumors are true, we were willing to give up multiple picks AND give a contract like that to Mack. So not sure we won't be in the bidding for Clowney. Whether or not he wants to come here is another issue. 

Mack has been the far superior player to Clowney in his pro career. Clowney isn't the greatest, he's just the latest and will get overpaid by someone. I highly doubt that someone is us. 

55 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

Looking at our own guys it's weird to think Jake Ryan is almost like the biggest priority

He's really not, you could draft his replacement or slide CMIII (if resigned) into ILB.  I would prefer to draft someone.  If Devin White, Tre Lamar, Ben Burr-Kirven or Cameron Smith are available when the Packers pick, I could see that pick happening.

2 minutes ago, jleisher said:

He's really not, you could draft his replacement or slide CMIII (if resigned) into ILB.  I would prefer to draft someone.  If Devin White, Tre Lamar, Ben Burr-Kirven or Cameron Smith are available when the Packers pick, I could see that pick happening.

Which of our FA's do you think has more value? I'm not saying he's a priority, but we really have nobody that we have to re-sign? 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I see Clowney as an early down DE, and sub/pressure package wildcard for everything from OLB to DT in this scheme.  He can stand up, be part of that amoeba where are they rushing from and who is rushing package.

He plays everything from OLB to DT on Houston, and he would do the same here.  No scheme issue at all for me. 

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I see Clowney as an early down DE, and sub/pressure package wildcard for everything from OLB to DT in this scheme.  He can stand up, be part of that amoeba where are they rushing from and who is rushing package. He plays everything from OLB to DT on Houston, and he would do the same here.  No scheme issue at all for me. 

Ya know....this is really far off the radar screen.....but do you think theres any consideration to how Clowney's knee would....function....in the cold of Green Bay?

Clowney.  No one mentioned his athletic ability and what they see.  I see a straight line player with power and speed.  I don't see the agility to move side to side.  I don't see any fluidity in those hips to turn and run.  Anyone else see that, or care to refute that?

What I see is a pure power to speed player, ideally suited as a defensive end.  I"m unsure if he can beat a tackle with quickness off of the line.  I'm unsure if he can ever drop into a zone and cover.  And...he isn't soft...but I question if he is the kind of guy who would want to get dirty in the run game.

Just a lot of question marks in his game...to me.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Clowney.  No one mentioned his athletic ability and what they see.  I see a straight line player with power and speed.  I don't see the agility to move side to side.  I don't see any fluidity in those hips to turn and run.  Anyone else see that, or care to refute that?

What I see is a pure power to speed player, ideally suited as a defensive end.  I"m unsure if he can beat a tackle with quickness off of the line.  I'm unsure if he can ever drop into a zone and cover.  And...he isn't soft...but I question if he is the kind of guy who would want to get dirty in the run game.

Just a lot of question marks in his game...to me.

Why would we need him to drop into coverage? I don't think anyone wants to see that. He should be rushing 90%+ of the snaps.

He is ideally suited to end because that is what he would play.

And finally, he can beat a tackle with quickness as he has shown. I'm at work or I would post a link to a couple Clowney film reviews. You can go to Brian Baldinger's twitter for one. Another you can find on Brett Kohlman's (spelling?) youtube

Edited by JBURGE