2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Good good.

This means LaFleur is probably excited about him.

This is what I'm hoping as well. Hopefully LaFleur got some input on this decision and Graham is truly still here because there are plans to utilize what's left of his strengths. 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

This means LaFleur is probably excited about him.

Legitimate question - why? 

It sounds like LaFleur utilizes in-line TE's quite often in his zone scheme.  I'm curious where we see Graham fitting in there?  

3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Legitimate question - why? 

It sounds like LaFleur utilizes in-line TE's quite often in his zone scheme.  I'm curious where we see Graham fitting in there?  

I would argue the following: 

First off, through 8 games, despite all of the dysfunction, Graham was on pace for 850 yds for the year.  Then he injured the thumb in game 10.

Set the contract aside for a moment- would a team cut a guy who could produce 850 as a tight end?  Especially if your wide receiver corp is going into 2019 with only Adams as a proven producer?  No one really knows what the group of Allison, EVS, EQ, and J'mon will be in year two, so Graham gives something of a known quantity, that won't be probowl, but can give some solid production especially if used better.

Seocnd, while Lafleur used in line tight ends in Tennessee,  I would hope the selection of Lafleur was partly based on the ability to be creative with what he has for talent, and not be married to a system that would get used regardless of the personnel available.

The argument for getting rid of Graham is largely a financial one, and this year the finances aren't critical.  Now, that could change if they get some huge talent on the hook in free agency, but for now it isn't a critical concern.  I think it would be hard to do a total rebuild of the position without overpaying somewhat for talent in free agency.

41 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I would argue the following: 

First off, through 8 games, despite all of the dysfunction, Graham was on pace for 850 yds for the year.  Then he injured the thumb in game 10.

Set the contract aside for a moment- would a team cut a guy who could produce 850 as a tight end?  Especially if your wide receiver corp is going into 2019 with only Adams as a proven producer?  No one really knows what the group of Allison, EVS, EQ, and J'mon will be in year two, so Graham gives something of a known quantity, that won't be probowl, but can give some solid production especially if used better.

Seocnd, while Lafleur used in line tight ends in Tennessee,  I would hope the selection of Lafleur was partly based on the ability to be creative with what he has for talent, and not be married to a system that would get used regardless of the personnel available.

The argument for getting rid of Graham is largely a financial one, and this year the finances aren't critical.  Now, that could change if they get some huge talent on the hook in free agency, but for now it isn't a critical concern.  I think it would be hard to do a total rebuild of the position without overpaying somewhat for talent in free agency.

I appreciate the thoughtful response.  I get that Gute really has to ask if Graham is worth the 3-4 million that he would save this year by cutting him.  In that case, he absolutely is.  

I keep reading that Graham wasn't used well in MM's offense.  I'm curious what situations that MM put him in that you didn't like, and how LF could use his skill set better.  

Archived