2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

What top flight safeties will there be?

Earl is the one I frequently see and with his age/ injury history I’m a bit wary.

Mathieu is also a free agent, and so is one more.  Struggling to remember who.  Collins.  No, there's another one after him.  Amos is also one, but there's another one.  

At least we know that Gute explores all avenues of player acquisition, and has pulled the trigger. There are going to be some big changes to this team going into next year. I still think we do most of our successful work in the draft, but I know we will add some vets. I'm interested in our own guys too. I want to see what happens with Cobb, and Matthews. 

9 hours ago, Toddfather said:

At least we know that Gute explores all avenues of player acquisition, and has pulled the trigger. There are going to be some big changes to this team going into next year. I still think we do most of our successful work in the draft, but I know we will add some vets. I'm interested in our own guys too. I want to see what happens with Cobb, and Matthews. 

I wouldn't mind bringing Clay back for the right price. Clay with talent around him could still be a productive defender. Put him on Chicago or Minn D and I bet he would play closer to the 09 to 2012 Clay than now. He just needs pieces around him, I don't want to see him in a Patriots uniform next season.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, St Vince said:

I wouldn't mind bringing Clay back for the right price. Clay with talent around him could still be a productive defender. Put him on Chicago or Minn D and I bet he would play closer to the 09 to 2012 Clay than now. He just needs pieces around him, I don't want to see him in a Patriots uniform next season.

I don't think you're watching close enough.

Clay can't win a 1 on 1 to save his life right now.  That has nothing to do with the pieces around him.  

He's had one of the most talented interior DL groups in the league demanding double teams and he hasn't been able to cash in.  Blame the scheme all you want - he's still clearly nothing close to his '09 to '12 form.  

Shoot - if he were the 2015 version he'd have 7 sacks by now.  

59 minutes ago, moretti19 said:

Mind as well start, I am ALL FOR bringing in Ruben Foster.  Will increase our chances of hard knocks as well haha.

You want the Packers to sign a POS person who abuses and threatens women then has them lie about it who had a PFF rating of 42.9 when Blake Martinez has a rating of over 77 because you saw his name and recognized it? 

I wouldn't want Foster even if he was good.  He's not good.  He wasn't even starting anymore BEFORE his second domestic violence arrest.  He's not a good person, he's not a good player, so what do you want him for? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moretti19 said:

Mind as well start, I am ALL FOR bringing in Ruben Foster.  Will increase our chances of hard knocks as well haha.

Straight from a Niners fan:

He was bad. Missed tackles left and right. Like last year, was always getting little nagging injuries. Missed more games than he played. 

From an article on Foster:

He has struggled on the field this season as well and has dealt with shoulder and hamstring injuries. He had missed the past two games with a hamstring injury and was listed as questionable for Sunday.

Foster had 29 tackles in six games this season with no sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries or interceptions. He also missed 10 tackles in six games, according to SportRadar, and has the second-highest rate of missed tackles among any linebacker with at least 200 snaps on defense.

So unless you loved Clinton-Dix and Nick Perry, you don't want Foster, you just think you do because you know his name. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Regardless of Foster's off field garbage, I want no part of the player.  He's not good.

I think everybody just wants that super duper ILB.  Never understood the obsession with that position, especially if your team isn't running a Tampa 2 / Cover 3 defense 4-3 defense. 

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I think everybody just wants that super duper ILB.  Never understood the obsession with that position, especially if your team isn't running a Tampa 2 / Cover 3 defense 4-3 defense. 

The 3-3 or the 5-1 requires you have a pretty good talent at the position to take it to the next level. Pettine likes to be able to deploy the Tampa 2 and all the coverage disguises would be better served with a more athletic LB. With the added DL he uses you should be able to shed weight for speed at ILB.

The tree Pettine comes from values those guys quite highly.