How Gruden earned this teams respect

turtle28

So, let’s think back to the Saints game and the Packers game before that. Josh Norman blows coverages which gave up long bombs to Aaron Rodger and Drew Brees in consecutive weeks.

Then, at halftime when Jay is addressing the team, Norman is wearing his headphones and not payinh attention to the team or what Gruden is saying.

Jay asks Norman to take them off but Norman won’t at first.

We come out in the second half and Norman is benched for a 7th round rookie!

This my fellow Redskins fans took guts by Jay and it was absolutely the right thing to do. Not only has the team played better since after that Saints game - minus the Falcons game - but Josh Norman got the message! Norman has played like the pro bowl talent he is since that benching and the embarrassment of being benched in a prime time game on Monday night in front of the entire nation.

I commend Jay for doing that, and for possibly saving this season while taking a bold action against his highest paid defender and one of the teams highest paid players, many coaches wouldn’t have done what he did.

1 hour ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Maybe he should also bench Smith for Colt if he continues to play the way he has.  Smith is the number one reason this offense is the worse in the league in my eyes.  

You don’t bench a qb with a 6-3 record even if he’s not lighting the world on fire. Smith is the leader of the team, benching him when the team is 6-3 IMO would cause issues in tge lockeroom and between some players and Gruden.

We have to remember when colt had those 2 good games in 2014 he was throwing to Djax & Garcon, Smith doesn’t have that luxury. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

You don’t bench a qb with a 6-3 record even if he’s not lighting the world on fire. Smith is the leader of the team, benching him when the team is 6-3 IMO would cause issues in tge lockeroom and between some players and Gruden.

We have to remember when colt had those 2 good games in 2014 he was throwing to Djax & Garcon, Smith doesn’t have that luxury. 

Oh ok Turtle maybe we should clone Jerry Rice and Randy Moss so this check down I can't hit anyone for more than 15 yards King can be serviceable.  If this dude doesn't get better in hitting wide open receivers starting next game, we are not winning this division.  We just played the worse passing D in the league or close to it and we barely put up 16 points with this joke of a QB and he had the gal to say this was my best game.  Don't get me started man on this guy.

Regardless of record. Opposing QBR for the season is 2 points higher facing us than Smiths is facing their defense.

Dak, Eli, Carr and Tannehill are the type of names youll find ahead of Alex in QBR. Whom is 23rd in the league.

And all that. Against the worst schedule in history of the game. Rolling into the 2nd half of the season with an opponent win percentage of 0.391.

We have an "offensive minded" coach. And in 5 years he has no weapons, no QB, a line that falls apart any slight breeze, and cant score against the worst schedule in history of the game.

Jay is not an NFL coach. With a schedule that should see us plow through like Clemson through the ACC after 5 years of him here. Were struggling and cant toss points up against the worst schedule in history after his 5 years.

Some of you believe were winning, in spite of Alex Smith.

I think were winning, because of him.

It's all those intangibles I talked about, when we traded for him.

He's a winner, he's a leader, he doesn't crack under pressure, he's smart, he's mobile, he understands the importance of NOT turning the ball over, etc.

Those are things you can't teach & those are the things Alex has, that Cousins doesn't.

And that is a BIG reason why were 6-3.

You may think your watching Blake Bortles out there.

But what you're realm watching, is a QB that understands the game & plays unselfishly & not for stats.

He wins!

8 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

But what you're realm watching, is a QB that understands the game & plays unselfishly & not for stats.

He wins!

If not for the defense making some great plays down in the red zone and some just good luck bouncing the Redskins' way for once, they would have lost this game.

But because the defense bailed the offense out and gave them great field position (which the squandered on one of two occasions), the TEAM won.

If you want to claim Alex Smith is a Good Luck Troll and that all of the team rubs his hair and that's why they are winning, so be it. It would be as accurate as saying that the Redskins are winning because of his play on the field

What should be Alex Smith's roster bio photo:

s-l300.jpg

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This my fellow Redskins fans took guts by Jay and it was absolutely the right thing to do. Not only has the team played better since after that Saints game - minus the Falcons game - but Josh Norman got the message! Norman has played like the pro bowl talent he is since that benching and the embarrassment of being benched in a prime time game on Monday night in front of the entire nation.

defense. not team. offense still blows.

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Some of you believe were winning, in spite of Alex Smith.

I think were winning, because of him.

It's all those intangibles I talked about, when we traded for him.

He's a winner, he's a leader, he doesn't crack under pressure, he's smart, he's mobile, he understands the importance of NOT turning the ball over, etc.

Those are things you can't teach & those are the things Alex has, that Cousins doesn't.

He wins!

By scoring under 20 points per game, good for 27th in the NFL. 

:)

Archived