How Gruden earned this teams respect

turtle28

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Hasn't that happened to Smith, sorta, twice already?

Never. In 2012 he got a concussion and had the 49ers at 5-2. Then Kap came in and they used the zone read and he was a success. He was successful so harbaugh just kept going with Kap.

He wasn’t benched in KC either, but I guess if you consider he was traded twice for younger QBs a benching, I can see where you’re going with it but it’s not the same thing to me.

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Some of you believe were winning, in spite of Alex Smith.

I think were winning, because of him.

It's all those intangibles I talked about, when we traded for him.

He's a winner, he's a leader, he doesn't crack under pressure, he's smart, he's mobile, he understands the importance of NOT turning the ball over, etc.

Those are things you can't teach & those are the things Alex has, that Cousins doesn't.

And that is a BIG reason why were 6-3.

You may think your watching Blake Bortles out there.

But what you're realm watching, is a QB that understands the game & plays unselfishly & not for stats.

He wins!

Last year with Cousins. We played 10 games where the opponents won 9 or more games. 6 games against double-digit win teams..

A 0.808 win percentage for whom we played.

We rolled into mid season this year with the lowest win percentage schedule in history. 0.391. I made a thread about it.

"There are things you can teach" - Which good coaches do for players.. Like Cousins is getting proper coaching now and is 2nd in Comp% at 71%, 6th in int% which is DRASTICALLY better under a new coach, 9th in QBR at 102.2 which is career best. 

Alex has fallen off since being under Gruden like a rock. 23rd in QBR, 23rd in Comp%, 23rd in yards, everything in the 20s. Last year under Reid, Alex was no.1 in QBR, 9th in TDpasses, 3rd in comp%...

So its hard to really knock Alex. Its the coaching thats trash. And is only successful because of the luck of facing the WORST WIN% SCHEDULE IN HISTORY.

23 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Last year with Cousins. We played 10 games where the opponents won 9 or more games. 6 games against double-digit win teams..

We rolled into mid season this year with the lowest win percentage schedule in history. 0.391. I made a thread about it.

"There are things you can teach" - Which good coaches do for players.. Like Cousins is getting proper coaching now and is 2nd in Comp% at 71%, 6th in int% which is DRASTICALLY better under a new coach, 9th in QBR at 102.2 which is career best. 

Alex has fallen off since being under Gruden like a rock. 23rd in QBR, 23rd in Comp%, 23rd in yards, everything in the 20s. Last year under Reid, Alex was no.1 in QBR, 9th in TDpasses, 3rd in comp%...

So its hard to really knock Alex. Its the coaching thats trash. And is only successful because of the luck of facing the WORST WIN% SCHEDULE IN HISTORY.

Actually, it's not that hard to do both at the same time. Since both sides are contributing to the problem.

To be fair, the positional coaching staffs are doing a great job: Callahan and Tomsula are doing yeoman's work.

13 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I’ll say it again, Cousins is benefiting from having the best wr tandem in the NFL, I think a main reason he took less money to go to Minny was bc he wanted to play with Diggs and Theilen despite the fact that he wanted to be back in the more conservative middle America rather than in DC or a place like NY. I don’t honestly think he wanted to raise his son in a city like DC or NYC. He wanted to be in a mid west city raising his son. 

Kirk isn’t stupid, he went to the best Wr situation he could’ve went to and his decision has paid off as far as his own stats have gone.  Theilen & Diggs make QBs look amazing bc they catch everything - even if it’s not a great pass - heck like I’ve said before Diggs & Theilen should get a cut of Keenum’s salary bc they got that dude paid!

Alex has only seen one WR have a catch like that this season and that was Doctson’s TD catch from two weeks ago.

Other than that, Alex’s WRs have not made too many - if any - really hard receptions for him and none of them have been able to get much yac.

Sounds just like what Kirk dealt with in DC last year right? Where Ryan Grant was his most consistent WR!

Meanwhile, every team that is exploding in scoring is seeing their playmakers get tons of yac after the QBs gets the ball to them quickly - aka not on a 20 or 30 yard pass downfield - a 5 to 10 yard pass that the playmakers takes to the house or takes for another 10 or 20 plus yards.

Crowder, CT and Richardson are those guys for us that can take a 5 to 10 yard pas and turn it into a big gainer, sadly they’ve all battled injuries this year and I don’t for one second think that their injuries haven’t affected ASmith and this passing offense.

19 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

By your logic since we played the worse competition in history and some of the worse defenses in history also, even if Gruden is screwing Smith, should he be at least top 15 with this competition?  HE IS NOT EVEN THAT.  And seriously what does Gruden have to do with over throwing wide open receivers?  What does Gruden have to do with taking sacks because you refuse to throw the ball away.  What does Gruden have to do when he checks down more often than not on 3rd and 8 to receiver that can't possibly make up those 8 yards?  Please man, stop this nonsense, Smith is holding this offense hostage.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’ll say it again, Cousins is benefiting from having the best wr tandem in the NFL, I think a main reason he took less money to go to Minny was bc he wanted to play with Diggs and Theilen despite the fact that he wanted to be back in the more conservative middle America rather than in DC or a place like NY. I don’t honestly think he wanted to raise his son in a city like DC or NYC. He wanted to be in a mid west city raising his son. 

Kirk isn’t stupid, he went to the best Wr situation he could’ve went to and his decision has paid off as far as his own stats have gone.  Theilen & Diggs make QBs look amazing bc they catch everything - even if it’s not a great pass - heck like I’ve said before Diggs & Theilen should get a cut of Keenum’s salary bc they got that dude paid!

Alex has only seen one WR have a catch like that this season and that was Doctson’s TD catch from two weeks ago.

Other than that, Alex’s WRs have not made too many - if any - really hard receptions for him and none of them have been able to get much yac.

Sounds just like what Kirk dealt with in DC last year right? Where Ryan Grant was his most consistent WR!

Meanwhile, every team that is exploding in scoring is seeing their playmakers get tons of yac after the QBs gets the ball to them quickly - aka not on a 20 or 30 yard pass downfield - a 5 to 10 yard pass that the playmakers takes to the house or takes for another 10 or 20 plus yards.

Crowder, CT and Richardson are those guys for us that can take a 5 to 10 yard pas and turn it into a big gainer, sadly they’ve all battled injuries this year and I don’t for one second think that their injuries haven’t affected ASmith and this passing offense.

You wrote all that trying to make something its not.

Its about Gruden. Hes in his 5th year and the WR core is the poorest its ever been. You can point out its bad till youre blue in the face. But nobody is disagreeing. Its about Gruden. Hes done nothing but hurt the core of the team over the years. And is being propped up by the easiest schedule in history of the game so he can keep the job he deserves no more than Zorn did.

5 years and hes managed to chase away what turned out to be a massively productive qb if the offense is built right. Gave away WRs to leave a core where not 1 is in the top 150 in target catches. Not one even at 60%. The OL is so thin a Raw rookie had to be sacrificed to the wolves. And this is an "offensive guru" type coach doing this to the team. After 5 years at a place and hes done nothing but harm.

Youre saying hes earned the teams respect. But let me ask you. If this was OSU, how fast would Gruden have been out the door? Ohio St isnt going to put up with someone damaging their program and losing the faith of their fanbase for 1 moment.

20 minutes ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

By your logic since we played the worse competition in history and some of the worse defenses in history also, even if Gruden is screwing Smith, should he be at least top 15 with this competition?  HE IS NOT EVEN THAT.  And seriously what does Gruden have to do with over throwing wide open receivers?  What does Gruden have to do with taking sacks because you refuse to throw the ball away.  What does Gruden have to do when he checks down more often than not on 3rd and 8 to receiver that can't possibly make up those 8 yards?  Please man, stop this nonsense, Smith is holding this offense hostage.

Andy Reid was able to work a system to fit around Smith to the point of 12 wins in '16 and 10 last year. What Reid did for the offense helped Alex have the no.1 qbr, top 10 in a dozen other categories like TD passes and Yards per Comp.

You say its not on Gruden. But who hurt the WR core? Gruden. Who hurt the OL depth? Gruden. Who didnt design plays to work around the qb strengths? Gruden. Whos calling the plays? Gruden. and on and on.

No Alex is not a great qb. Hes as middle of the road game manager as theres ever been. But the quality coaching of Andy Reid made it work and put up a ton of points doing so. Gruden is struggling designing offenses against the bottom of the barrel defenses. And were worst in the league in the 2nd half offensively, because he cant make adjustments against a defense. Where Andy Reid was great and could change things to fit against a defense on the fly.

11 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

You wrote all that trying to make something its not.

Its about Gruden. Hes in his 5th year and the WR core is the poorest its ever been. You can point out its bad till youre blue in the face. But nobody is disagreeing. Its about Gruden. Hes done nothing but hurt the core of the team over the years. And is being propped up by the easiest schedule in history of the game so he can keep the job he deserves no more than Zorn did.

5 years and hes managed to chase away what turned out to be a massively productive qb if the offense is built right. Gave away WRs to leave a core where not 1 is in the top 150 in target catches. Not one even at 60%. The OL is so thin a Raw rookie had to be sacrificed to the wolves. And this is an "offensive guru" type coach doing this to the team. After 5 years at a place and hes done nothing but harm.

Youre saying hes earned the teams respect. But let me ask you. If this was OSU, how fast would Gruden have been out the door? Ohio St isnt going to put up with someone damaging their program and losing the faith of their fanbase for 1 moment.

Gruden isn’t the GM. It’s the GM who didn’t re-sign Djax or Garçon two years ago. Actually, I don’t even think our GM tried to re-sign either of them because he’s cheap, which in done ways is good but it’s not if you’re not willing to spend for a talented player you really need.

It was also our former GM who drafted Doctson over Will Fuller and Michael Thomas in 2016.

You can’t blame the HC bc the GM is worthless.

Archived