We Should Extend Scherff and The Greek Now!

THESKINSFAN21

53 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Let's extend them both.  Why wait? The Greek could be the best member of our d line,which speaks volumes about the guy. Scherff is an obvious one as well. Sign him why he's on IR.

Couldn't agree more with this post.  Can we redo a deal in the middle of the season?  Don't know but it would be real stupid if we lose either of these guys to free agency.

4 hours ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Let's extend them both.  Why wait? The Greek could be the best member of our d line,which speaks volumes about the guy. Scherff is an obvious one as well. Sign him why he's on IR.

1. Per the CBA, the Redskins cannot negotiate a long term deal with Ioannidis until after the season ends (after the completion of his third season).
  2. This  assumes that Ioannidis is willing to sign a long term deal to stay in Washington at that point. He might want to test free agency the following year, where he would easily be one of the top free agents on the market (barring an injury next year) and get paid as such.
  3. The Redskins could sign an extension with Scherff now, but I suspect his agent will wait until after the season so as not to allow the Redskins to get his client to sign a lowball deal since he's injured.
  4. My best guess on that front would be Scherff and the Redskins won't come to an agreement until sometime next summer, if they did come to long term deal.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:14 PM, Slateman said:

I'd pass on Scherff and work on deals for Iionadis, Allen, and Payne.

Scherff is near an All-Pro talented OL. I love our young DL, but currently out of this list, Scherff is the best player in it.

And yes, Scherff is only a guard but he’s a pro bowl guard and a top 5 guard in the league. He also did play LT in college so, there’s a possibility in the future that he could slide to LT or RT if we need to do it. 

No way no how.  Seriously, Scherff is a monster at guard, young dude that should be on this line for then next 6 - 8 years at least.  Allen and Payne we have a while to renew as they can play on their rookie deals for a few years.  By that time I am hoping Smith is out the door and we will have the cap space to get them done comfortably.  Ioannidis is a MUST, but then again this front office has a horrible handle on how to renew 5th round picks that have become great players don't they?

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Scherff is near an All-Pro talented OL. I love our young DL, but currently out of this list, Scherff is the best player in it.

And yes, Scherff is only a guard but he’s a pro bowl guard and a top 5 guard in the league. He also did play LT in college so, there’s a possibility in the future that he could slide to LT or RT if we need to do it. 

4 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

No way no how.  Seriously, Scherff is a monster at guard, young dude that should be on this line for then next 6 - 8 years at least.  Allen and Payne we have a while to renew as they can play on their rookie deals for a few years.  By that time I am hoping Smith is out the door and we will have the cap space to get them done comfortably.  Ioannidis is a MUST, but then again this front office has a horrible handle on how to renew 5th round picks that have become great players don't they?

Defensive linemen are far more valuable than guards. Scherff cant play tackle,  and he cant play Center. Hes replaceable in a way Ionadis and Allen arent. They can dominate a game.  Scherff cannot. Keeping Allen and Ionadis (and Payne if he plans out) allows us to fill the defense with cheaper, younger talent, particularly at linebacker. 

Again, they are forbidden on giving the latter three a new deal per the CBA.

Ioannidis can sign a new contract after this year.
Allen can sign a new contract after the 2019 season.
Payne can sign a new contract after the 2020 season.

12 hours ago, Slateman said:

Defensive linemen are far more valuable than guards. Scherff cant play tackle,  and he cant play Center. Hes replaceable in a way Ionadis and Allen arent. They can dominate a game.  Scherff cannot. Keeping Allen and Ionadis (and Payne if he plans out) allows us to fill the defense with cheaper, younger talent, particularly at linebacker. 

Actually, the value of an all pro or near all pro guard is about the same as an all pro DT/3-4DE/NT.

I’m not sure why their value would be any different. The guards have to block the big boys in the middle. If you have a great guard, he’ll neutralize most dominant DTs on almost every play.

OL dominate the game by opening up holes for RBs, protecting QBs and neutralizing the great DL. It’s a different kind of impactful, but if Scherff dominates a DT/NT all game, that’s just as valuable as a sack from a DL.

We are going to miss the heck out of Scherff against the Texans. TWill and Scherff are the only OL on our offense who could at least come close to holding serve against a player like Watt.

How is that not valuable?

A pro bowl player at an position is extremely valuable, whether they play on the line, or anywhere else.

The bottom line is we should keep our best players. Scherff is our 2nd best OL by a mile, not retaining him could be a mistake that haunts us for years, maybe a decade. 

It’s not easy to find an OL who is All-Pro caliber, it’s not easy to find any player who’s all pro caliber. Letting one walk is a mistake. 

19 hours ago, Woz said:

Again, they are forbidden on giving the latter three a new deal per the CBA.

Ioannidis can sign a new contract after this year.
Allen can sign a new contract after the 2019 season.
Payne can sign a new contract after the 2020 season.

Then start restructuring other deals to make some room.

Archived