We Should Extend Scherff and The Greek Now!

THESKINSFAN21

28 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I love Scherff. I want to keep him. But if he asks for tons of $$, I'm okay with walking away.

What is a ton? 84 seemed like a ton for Cousins, but now alot of us would say we should've paid him. The OLine is a key piece in protecting the QB and open up lanes for a RB. Scherff is a key in both of those areas. Two questions. What is the asking price too high for Scherff? Who is the replacement for the All Pro RG? 

I'm willing to lose Smith to sign The Greek and Scherff. I'm willing to lose Crowder to sign The Greek, Scherff, and Smith. Smith and Crowder are replaceable. The Greek and Scherff aren't that easily replaceable. I think we may already have Crowders replacement in Quinn. So he would be my last signing and if he has to go I would be fine with that. 

Success starts in the trenches, I think it would be worth extending both.  Scherff has had some tough injuries to end his season the past two years- nothing that would indicate he's got the injury bug, but enough to drive his value down a bit to make a contract worth extending.  All-Pro guards do hit the market from time to time, but Scherff is super-talented and a team could offer him big money to try out as a tackle.  We should try to look him up early.  

Ioannidis is a perplexing case.  He goes from being a fifth rounder who we cut, bring back and he gets limited playing time his first year.  We bring in Tomsula, widely regarded as one of the league's best defensive line coaches, and he turns this guy into an above-average starter who can play all three downs.  He's a tough guy who brings a balanced game, and you always need those guys in the rotation.  I would re-sign him as well, but it can't break the bank- if Ioannidis thinks he's worth a whole lot more than we can spare, I'd let him go. 

5 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

What is a ton? 84 seemed like a ton for Cousins, but now alot of us would say we should've paid him. The OLine is a key piece in protecting the QB and open up lanes for a RB. Scherff is a key in both of those areas. Two questions. What is the asking price too high for Scherff? Who is the replacement for the All Pro RG? 

I would’ve paid Cousins, I said for two years I’d pay him near $30 mil a year and ppl scoffed at me, I’d pay Scherff too bc he’s been playing like our best OL for two years - before his injury - bc Trent has been hurt.

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I would’ve paid Cousins, I said for two years I’d pay him near $30 mil a year and ppl scoffed at me, I’d pay Scherff too bc he’s been playing like our best OL for two years - before his injury - bc Trent has been hurt.

I would've scoffed at you as well, but if it balled down to paying Cousins or trading Fuller + a 3rd pick for Smith and guaranteeing him 70 million I would've just gave Cousins the money. Cousins is still showing in Minnesota he has his issues, but he knew the system and had chemistry with guys here Alex didn't. Please don't try and defend Cousins or tell me why he isn't doing such and such with the Vikings. 

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I would've scoffed at you as well, but if it balled down to paying Cousins or trading Fuller + a 3rd pick for Smith and guaranteeing him 70 million I would've just gave Cousins the money. Cousins is still showing in Minnesota he has his issues, but he knew the system and had chemistry with guys here Alex didn't. Please don't try and defend Cousins or tell me why he isn't doing such and such with the Vikings. 

Nope defending necessary, you wrote exactly what I have been saying for two years AND after I heard we gave up Fuller and a 3rd.  I would have been ok with just giving a 3rd because we probably going to get that back as a compensatory pick but giving up a very promising CB that loved playing here is a crime I will never forgive Bruce for.  

On 11/21/2018 at 2:28 PM, Skins212689 said:

Totally agree, but I still would’ve paid Cousins. Cousins is just entering his prime as a QB. By the time he had gotten to Smith’s age for us and some of the top 5 QBs had retired, he’d be considered a top 5 QB in the league and his contract would be worth it.

It still bothers me that we didn’t sign AD in the 2017 offseason to compete with Kelley and Perine to be our starting RB. That was a huge mistake. AD on our team last year probably means we finish 9-7 or even 10-6.

I totally agree that Kirk is helped immensely by the best WR starting pair in the NFL. Digges and Theilen make some tremendous catches and that helps out any QB. Heck, as I’ve said befor Keenum should give them a cut of his Denver check.

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Don’t be dumb about this. Scherff is an All-Pro guard. Just pay him and don’t create another unnecessary hole that we will never fill. I mean, we’ve needed a LG for 10 years and they still haven’t fixed it lol

No truer statement has been said. If we’re not paying $10 plus mil on Scherff to stay, then we’re going to spend that cap space money on another teams player they didn’t want to pay who most likely won’t be as good as our All-Pro caliber RG. As Lavar said, it’s simple, keep your own good to greavpkayers and build around them as cornerstones.

Scherff can be our cornerstone OL after TWill retires, and as I said - until Scherff got hurt - the last two years he was our best OL especially bc TWill has been battling the knee injury last year and now thumb injury.

Also, as Lavar pointed out, we’ve needed a real answer/upgrade at LG going back almost 15 years to when Dockery first left and left a gaping home at LG. We don’t want that to happen again. 

Lastly, my opinion of the Crowder situation is this; if Quinn continues to grab 4 or 5 balls a game for 50-60 yards then the choice is easy to let Crowder walk and have Quinn replace him in the slot.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:26 PM, Skins212689 said:

If he's asking for 15m AAV, I'm going to think hard about re-signing him. Less than that? I'll sign the check quickly.

57 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If he's asking for 15m AAV, I'm going to think hard about re-signing him. Less than that? I'll sign the check quickly.

he can ask, but who is going to pay him that much since Guards are NOT paid anywhere near that.  Unless some "enterprising" team like the Giants promise him he will be a Tackle.  hell he would be better than anyone they have at T now.

33 minutes ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

he can ask, but who is going to pay him that much since Guards are NOT paid anywhere near that.  Unless some "enterprising" team like the Giants promise him he will be a Tackle.  hell he would be better than anyone they have at T now.

That’s an arbitrary number, what matters is how it’s structured and the cap hits, especially in the early years of the contract. 

Archived