Bengals fire Austin

ochocinco4pres

My personnel take - i'm not sure this really matters.  And not because it won't help the defense (it won't).  Let me explain.

This is two straight years the Bengals have fired a coordinator mid-season, after having never done it before.  They're finally showing that they're willing to do some things they haven't done in the past.  They're also showing that they're not happy with the product on the field.

I think we can all agree that this team is probably not going to make a second half run.  I'm not even sure at this point they can beat the Browns twice, so backing into the playoffs with 9 wins is looking difficult at best.

If you take that all into consideration, i think this is the year that Marvin is finally let go.  Or they mutually part ways.  Or rides into the sunset, or whatever they want to call it.  At which point, the whole staff gets upended anyway, meaning Austin is gone.

This is like a desperation 3 pointer from 40 ft with 50 seconds left, down 8.  Maybe you make it and get close enough to make a run in the last few possessions.  Most likely you miss it, because this roster doesn't have Steph Curry taking the shot.

Or maybe it's a mercy kill.  Put Austin out of his misery while he can still get hired on as a DL coach somewhere next year.

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Why is the defense struggling? Geno and Carlos are playing great.

Listening to some of the beat writers yesterday, it would appear that the major issue was the players not buying into Austin's system.  He tried to do too much, too fast.  And week to week tried to change his system to fit the opponents, leaving the defense without an identity.  

Also, the LBs are junk.  Like really junky junk.  All a QB has to do is wait for a WR or TE to work his way open in the middle of the field, because it happens every play, every week.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:33 AM, ochocinco4pres said:

Unfortunately, the D coordinator change doesnt make our LB's faster and not suck. We badly need to upgrade that position this offseason

They're so bad.  I'd keep Vigil and Evans this offseason, and let the rest of them go.  Vigil as a potential starter, Evans as a backup/ST role.

Tez i'm done with.  He's probably still an ok LB, but you don't put up with his crap just to get average production.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'd add Jefferson to the keep list, really Nickerson and Rey are the only replace now guys that should not be collecting an NFL check.  I do think there is room to upgrade at all linebacker spots, but I don't see a complete overhaul. 

I'd add him to the maybe list.  There's a chance he can turn it around.  He has some tools.  But he was the worst LB out there in the preseason.  Worse than Nickerson.

I'd overhaul it, personally.  They're a sad, sad group.

56 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'd add him to the maybe list.  There's a chance he can turn it around.  He has some tools.  But he was the worst LB out there in the preseason.  Worse than Nickerson.

I'd overhaul it, personally.  They're a sad, sad group.

I just meant in one offseason. Too many other priorities this offseason to get 4 new upgrades at linebacker. 

Archived