Bye Week Musings

brooks1957

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m sure he’s been in the weight room, that’s my point. Whether you’re bulking or cutting, results happen in the kitchen. Dirty bulking is fine, but it just adds more weight you’ll have to cut later, which would be of no concern to him.

Access to better nutrition and gaining his natural “man body” are gonna be keys for him, no doubt.  The idea of an “nfl weight program” has always just been funny to me, they don’t do anything different.

I agree. Maybe he hasn’t been as focused in the weight room/diet etc. in the past. He is light for his size as an OT and he needs to add strength, we know these things. I guess the easy thing to say as fans is “he needs to get in the weight room” 

the idea that you cant get better is stupid

ex myself when i graduated from high school i was 6 feet tall and weighed 160 lbs

now with weight training i am 4 inches bigger in the waist

i wear a size 48 jacket and i can due 38 reps at 250 and people imply that weight training does not help.

Just now, mtmmike said:

the idea that you cant get better is stupid

ex myself when i graduated from high school i was 6 feet tall and weighed 160 lbs

now with weight training i am 4 inches bigger in the waist

i wear a size 48 jacket and i can due 38 reps at 250 and people imply that weight training does not help.

I don’t think anyone is insinuating that, but merely saying that NFL weight programs aren’t going to magically get you those results alone in a vacuum. It takes time, dedication, diet, sleep, etc.

Throw in genetics, frame, and maxing our that frame, along with a host of other things like supplements and mental/physical consistency and dedication without injury, and nothing is guaranteed.

Plenty of us in here have seen firsthand and experienced it/live it on our own daily, NFL not withstanding. Feel free to compare my 17-20 year old body to the man body I have now even in my early 30s. It’s much better now, and I was a college athlete.

34 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m sure he’s been in the weight room, that’s my point. Whether you’re bulking or cutting, results happen in the kitchen. Dirty bulking is fine, but it just adds more weight you’ll have to cut later, which would be of no concern to him.

Access to better nutrition and gaining his natural “man body” are gonna be keys for him, no doubt.  The idea of an “nfl weight program” has always just been funny to me, they don’t do anything different.

In the NCAA they put restrictions on what a player can eat (meaning what the team can provide for them) and a lot of the meals are the student athletes responsibility to provide for themselves. In the NFL the team can give them all the food they want, where I read an article a couple years ago saying that a lot of lower income student athletes were more or less going hungry. So I would say that is a pretty big advantage in the NFL compared to the NCAA right? 

4 hours ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

In the NCAA they put restrictions on what a player can eat (meaning what the team can provide for them) and a lot of the meals are the student athletes responsibility to provide for themselves. In the NFL the team can give them all the food they want, where I read an article a couple years ago saying that a lot of lower income student athletes were more or less going hungry. So I would say that is a pretty big advantage in the NFL compared to the NCAA right? 

That’s absolutely the difference, not the weight program, I agree.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

More isn’t necessarily better in that situation.

It is if he hasn't done/doesn't do enough of it.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

sleep/nutrition/recover

Agree that these have to be part of the plan.

Little question in my mind that a pro-program during the off-season will help him improve.

Archived