Cody Parky

dll2000

Heard something that pissed me off.  Cody missed the kicks and everyone is upset and rightfully so. You have to make your kicks

BUT during interview Parky was asked if he practices at Soldier Field during week.

He said no.  Why not they said? Not my call he said.

This is just stupid, stupid, stupid.  Soldier Field is a unique environment.  You have to learn the different winds like a golfer learns a major course.    80% of time he should be practicing there. They have to make this happen.   

This is a failure on Bears org for attention to detail.  

NFL coaches and teams do so many little things to gain an edge; sleep schedules, cold chambers, acupuncture, whatever.

Learning to kick in a very particular environment in which you play half your games is NOT a little thing.

Kicking outdoors by a great lake should always be advantage home team. 

First of all, like every announcer every, you got his name wrong. Parkey, not Parky.

Secondly, I understand what you're saying, but do you HONESTLY think that the winds at Soldier Field are substantially different from those in Lake Forest at Halas Hall that you would send your kicker down just to do that? Because I got news for you, the winds aren't significantly different enough to where it makes any sense.

Did Parkey miss 4 kicks yesterday? Yes, but let's remember that he wasn't shanking them, but hitting uprights. I was just as upset after his first two misses, but after the third and fourth one i was laughing, because it was seriously impressive. A couple inches either way and we aren't having this conversation (that's what she said). Chalk it up to a bad day, we'll get back to it next week.

Sidenote: I still miss #9.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I read that he said he didn't want to do the commute from Lake Forest to Chicago... Bears kickers absolutely have been allowed to kick at Soldier Field in the past.

He should have a special practice schedule that isnt up to him.

If you were kicker for Bears  what would you do?  I would break into Soldier field if I had too.

You can kick for 15 years and retire and golf rest of your life.  Cherry job if you play it right.  

3 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

First of all, like every announcer every, you got his name wrong. Parkey, not Parky.

Secondly, I understand what you're saying, but do you HONESTLY think that the winds at Soldier Field are substantially different from those in Lake Forest at Halas Hall that you would send your kicker down just to do that? Because I got news for you, the winds aren't significantly different enough to where it makes any sense.

Did Parkey miss 4 kicks yesterday? Yes, but let's remember that he wasn't shanking them, but hitting uprights. I was just as upset after his first two misses, but after the third and fourth one i was laughing, because it was seriously impressive. A couple inches either way and we aren't having this conversation (that's what she said). Chalk it up to a bad day, we'll get back to it next week.

I get my kids names wrong. Hell if I'm going to learn a kickers name. 

Two, are you kidding? You don't think the winds off a great lake are different than in a suburb?  In a stadium? They are radically different.  Extremely different. Not just that, the back drops are different. Free throws are different at different stadiums.  Its slighter than wind obviously, but its different. Why teams usually shoot better at home.

Soldier field is indeed a unique place in terms of wind.There are a number of unusual factors that contribute to that area being weird.

You're right on the lake, so you are subject to marine weather; for example if it's a NE wind, it'll be generally colder and steady.  SW wind is going to be all over the place, due to the wind passing over warm land before landing nearby in the water, plus the randomizing effect of the buildings downtown.

The unique shape of the stadium contributes as well;  if you ever want to see something weird, take note of the flags around the perimeter of the stadium.  The flags always go were the apparent wind blows them, but along the edge of the field you can see the wind blowing from many different directions, sometimes shifted as much as 180 degrees from one side of the stadium to the other.

I really can't comment about kicking there, or whether there is any benefit to practicing in such a highly variable place, but the wind in that part of the lakefront is WEIRD

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I get my kids names wrong. Hell if I'm going to learn a kickers name. 

Two, are you kidding? You don't think the winds off a great lake are different than in a suburb?  In a stadium? They are radically different.  Extremely different. Not just that, the back drops are different. Free throws are different at different stadiums.  Its slighter than wind obviously, but its different. Why teams usually shoot better at home.

Get them customized jerseys with nameplates man, do you really think all those kids in jerseys are out there because their folks like football that much? Hell no, it's so we don't get em mixed up.

PRO TIP:  get their mom to double check names before you hit "pay now"

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

The issue with “we’ll get back to it next week” is we’ve been saying this every week with this guy. He missed from 45 in a dome in Arizona. He missed from 53 in the heat & humidity against the Dolphins. He missed from 41 in the wind on a damp field against the Jets. And now, he missed 4 times on a sunny and cold day.

The last 3 misses yesterday were in the endzone that I sit in. After the first miss yesterday, I said to my brother “he keeps aiming middle/right. Aim more middle/left.” Nope, he kept doing the same, stupid kick every time and it kept missing the exact same way. What’s the definition of insanity again?

Maybe, just maybe, he isn’t that good of a kicker.

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

A different field is a different field. With how kickers use their plant foot and how each surface feels different, I could very well see how this would make a big difference. Parkey should be able to get used the home field that he is playing on every week so he can make adjustments if need be before the game and not during them.

Like it or not, he isn't going anywhere.

Parkey to start practicing at Soldier

David Kaplan just said his sources say the Bears are making a way to ensure that Parkey is practicing at Soldier Field.

This is good news.

Well looks like the pressure is on even more.

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Well looks like the pressure is on even more.

If this is true then I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, Tyty said:

Robbie Gould was our MVP for a decade tbh. Haven’t much liked the last few years of garbage kicking 

Remember when Bears fans were complaining about him and saying that he was "not the same Gould as before'"?  I do, because I was one of them. 

Now look at us. We look like fools. 

Hopefully the story above is true and we'll see a more accurate kicker. Because at the rate that this season is going.....the difference between the playoffs or not will more than likely hinge on a kicker. Whether that's against the Vikes or Pack.

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

If this is true then I'm all for it.

Remember when Bears fans were complaining about him and saying that he was "not the same Gould as before'"?  I do, because I was one of them. 

Now look at us. We look like fools. 

Hopefully the story above is true and we'll see a more accurate kicker. Because at the rate that this season is going.....the difference between the playoffs or not will more than likely hinge on a kicker. Whether that's against the Vikes or Pack.

Exactly. While the misses didn’t hurt us sunday, those misses in other games are gonna kill us. 

PS pretty stoked Robbie Gould’s put in his top two years the last two years, considering he was donezo to everyone when we let him go

2 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Exactly. While the misses didn’t hurt us sunday, those misses in other games are gonna kill us. 

PS pretty stoked Robbie Gould’s put in his top two years the last two years, considering he was donezo to everyone when we let him go

Yep. It's pretty amazing(and disappointing at the same time) when looking at it in hindsight. Alot of us was so wrong abut him.

Archived