Broncos @ 49ers: Week 2 GDT

broncosfan07

9 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I'm not too put off by the defensive scheme. Joe Woods is incredibly respected and his work with the secondary speaks for itself. If we had even a very good secondary I might be skeptical, but we quite literally have one of the all-time best units. I'll defer to coaching on that one.

You and I could coach this secondary and do a nice job. And I was only twice an All-Conference CB. You play to your talents' strength; for us that means playing press-man in the secondary and rushing the QB with the front seven. Doesn't everyone here who keeps touting Mike McCoy as the greatest offensive coordinator in the history of the world always point how (supposedly) great he is at adapting his talent to his scheme rather than vice-a-versa? Why doesn't the same apply to the other side of the ball?

6 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I agree with you on Bolles.  I will even take a few penalties from him if he wins the psychological battles on the offensive side of the ball.  I wish we could get that level of nasty from a vet like Leary.  But, I will take it from Bolles...a number one draft pick.  I hope he has the demeanor of a Talib, or a TJ Ward.  However, Bolles will need to temper that aggression a bit.  Talb and Ward seem to know when to pick their battles where it doesn't affect the team too much.  

Nevertheless, I think by week 3 or 4, Bolles will have solidified himself as the LT we've been looking for.  I also am encourage by Ty Sambrailla a bit.  I would like to see him work against a starting defensive line to see what is there.  I am not sure...but, he is just as athletic as Bolles, in which case, if Ty improves to the point of being worthy of a 2nd round pick...can you transition him to the RT position where we would have some really athletic tackles, and a top notch interior line that are built of maulers?  Would be a cool dynamic for sure, and would ensure a pretty good run game, I would think.  I saw Bolles pull a lot this last game and I think that helped open some holes.  

The difference between Talib, Ward, et. al. and Bolles is that the former can do their jobs and the latter cannot. 

No one wants the meathead with the cute baby to succeed more than I do but, and I'll say it again, until he proves he can play at an even moderately acceptable level, touting a nasty demeanor and good athleticism is akin to touting Ayers' ability to set the edge. 

6 hours ago, French Fan said:

ST"s are average. Brock OLIVO need to speak louder for his guys

This is actually one area where I am not concerned. The STs units in the preseason are for tryouts; it's a chance to give relatively unknown players a chance to flash (think TD in preseason game in Japan in 1995) They are not putting the coverage units out there they will in the regular season. 

That said, given the way things are looking, if Brock Olivo turns out to be another Denver media over-hyped bag of balloon juice, I won't be shocked. 

56 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Athleticism and a nasty demeanor are nice qualities. But being able to do your job - in Bolles' case that means block - are more important. He failed miserably at his job last night. 

People making excuses for Bolles remind me of those who kept touting Robert Ayers' ability to "set the edge" when he was drafted to rush the passer. Cut it out. 

way different Bolles had drawn 2 15 yard penalties so far playing through the echo of the whistle. Was last night good enough no. But I'll take that over a heartless gutless pos that collects a paycheck like Russell Okung. Bolles isn't just a polar bear on skates.

54 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You and I could coach this secondary and do a nice job. And I was only twice an All-Conference CB. You play to your talents' strength; for us that means playing press-man in the secondary and rushing the QB with the front seven. Doesn't everyone here who keeps touting Mike McCoy as the greatest offensive coordinator in the history of the world always point how (supposedly) great he is at adapting his talent to his scheme rather than vice-a-versa? Why doesn't the same apply to the other side of the ball?

If mixing up zone with man prevents us from leading the league it opening drive tds I'll take it because that killed us starting a game annd after halftime.

Re: D-scheme let's remember the preseason is all about vanilla D schemes.   I do think we play better with a more aggressive attack scheme than off coverage but we also rarely tip our hands in the PS.   FWIW passive read and react off coverage was the main choice for opening drives while Phillips read the O and then adjusted.   Hated that.   But seeing it in PS doesn't worry me. Every team goes vanilla now.   Since it was mentioned the 2015 AFCCG was an ode to creativity by Phillips using totally different coverage looks and attacking with pressure (but blitz not required) - with double-coverage on Gronk-Edelman.   So man vs. zone isn't the issue as much as attacking vs         passive.  Great summary here - https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/28/blanket-coverage-wade-phillips-super-bowl-50

But yeah we are best with our D attacking the O - I just don't think in preseason we will see much of that given away so it's hard to evaluate what we have planned scheme-wise with Woods.

Re: Bolles everyone knows I didn't like the value of going Bolles (take Reuben Foster, trade back to 28 <Elway confirmed an offer was made to Renck>  and take Ramczyk, or trade up to 18 for Howard).  And his pass pro deficiencies are clearly where he struggles.  But as tough as this game was, this isn't unexpected.   Hopefully Davidson and McCoy/Musgrave can gameplan more help early in the season for him.  The problem is Watson isn't able to pass block on an island yet either.   You can scheme for one T to get help it's tough to scheme help on both sides.   But we have to give Bolles more help early this season - frankly having Barbre on the left side  is a must.  Please coaches, end the Garcia-with-1s altogether now.   That unit needs as many reps together before Week 1 (except Paradis I get saving him).  

Re: ST I'd first echo what @AnAngryAmerican said - this is the tryout.   Now once the spots are won it's definitely time to step up.   No one can argue we are playing well there.   That's fine if we are still getting the right guys in place.   But we will have to be way better by Week 1.   Hopefully next week we will see signs of progress. 

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Athleticism and a nasty demeanor are nice qualities. But being able to do your job - in Bolles' case that means block - are more important. He failed miserably at his job last night. 

People making excuses for Bolles remind me of those who kept touting Robert Ayers' ability to "set the edge" when he was drafted to rush the passer. Cut it out. 

Oh, please. Who's making excuses? Displaying athleticism and a good attitude are great things to stick out from two preseason games. Far from guaranteeing he is going to be good, but to me it is definitely very promising. There's going to be growth and I like the tools I've seen. 

On 8/20/2017 at 9:00 PM, thebestever6 said:

Like we bash him when Dt says he can keep his head down too long sometimes because he wants to be perfect. And we bash him for being upbeat on the sideline?

And I read in 2 places people question if lynch cares and loves the game. I mean I have no evidence supporting otherwise I know he worked hard this offseason. He just needs more days like thursdays practice and than that will translate to games. 

I'm sure people were questioning brett favre and his commitment to the game. The guy took years to master the playbook not trying to do backyard style of play.

What's he up beat for?  And the Favre comparison doesn't hold water.  No one EVER questioned Favre's competitiveness or passion for the game dating back to HS, college, or the NFL.

I know you like Lynch, I do too, but I don't think there is any denying he raised some serious red flags across the board this offseason.  It literally looks like he made absolutely zero progress from year 1 to year 2.  He looked timid and scared of the job and opportunity in front of him.

As I said, maybe it is my own personality, but I can't think of a single worth remembering player/competitor in my mind that would be laughing and joking on the sideline after laying an egg the way Lynch did Sunday and on top of it basically losing his job in the process.  If one had only watched clips of Lynch on the sideline they'd have figured Lynch went out and went 10-12 for 150 yards and 2 scores.  He was acting like someone who had accomplished something as opposed to someone who just crapped the bed.

I just found it odd. 

Archived